There are four different modes in FileMaker Pro and you can easily see those modes by going up to the View Menu and you'll see them right at the top. You have Browse Mode, Find Mode, Layout Mode and Preview Mode. And we've already been to Layout Mode briefly; we did it through the Edit Layout Button because there are many ways to get in these modes. You have all of the choices up here from the Menu. You have the Keyboard Commands which I'm going to recommend you learn or memorize because you'll be going between these modes and often it's faster to do with the Keyboard Command than to go up here or event to go down here to this Menu which will do the same thing as well. But the focus of what we're going to be doing today is Browse Mode or Date Entry. We'll get into the other modes later as we said but we want to work on how do you data entry in FileMaker? Well it's quite easy, all you do is you come and click down to the Fields you want to enter it. Now in previous versions of FileMaker it was a lot more difficult when you created a file from scratch to see where the field was, you wouldn't see it, it would be like white and then once you clicked into it, you would get an outline, kind of like you have here. You see we have a, a black and blue outline, well that's neat. When you go to this field, you'll see that you have that highlight around that. So it's a lot easier to see what field you're in and where the actual other fields are and once you get into a field you'll see your cursor there, you can move your mouse away anywhere you want and just start typing. Now you'll notice that our field is not big enough to display all the information, we're going to get into how to modify the layouts so the field can be bigger so you can see it all, even when you click out of the field. Now we don't have an Address 2 so I skipped right down to City but if you did have an Address 2 you'd have to click there but notice that when you're in here, you can't really get to it very easily. An easier way to get to it might be with the Tab Key, so if I hit the Tab Key on the Keyboard, first it goes to the next field in the Tab Order which is this Account Mod Field and notice I can't type into it. Right. As soon as I try to type into it, it says you can't do this because we made this field Prohibit Modification. So we tested that to make sure it works but if I hit Tab again it goes right down to Address 2 so sometimes that's a little bit easier to do. And if you Tab down to City and go oh I've skipped Address 2, you can hit Shift Tab. Hold down the Shift Key and type the Tab and you'll go back there. So it's a lot easier sometimes to stick with the keyboard when you're typing. Some people prefer to use the mouse and some people use a combination of the mouse and the keyboard. I'm kind of one of those people, I'm kind of a hybrid but you know, it all depends on who you are and I'm want to go and try to show you each one of the ways to get around you know, whether it's mouse or keyboard or combination. We'll Tab down to the next field, Tab to the next one, you see how much faster we can do it when we use that keyboard only and we'll come down here. Tab to the next field, notice that if you make a mistake this, each field is like a word processor, I can go ahead and use the Arrow Keys to go wherever I want, make a change and then type it. I can certainly come in here and highlight something, delete it, retype it, whatever it might be. I can highlight the whole thing if I want and just start of from scratch, I mean there's all kinds of things you can do. So each little field is like its own word processor and so anything you can do in a word processor, you're likely to be able to do inside of a field. Now remember they are different types of fields, Date Fields, Number Fields, Text Fields. The Text Field is the most closely aligned with a word processor but they'll have and a Number Field has certain capabilities that are similar to a word processor it just restricts what you can type in there. Same with the Date Field which we're going to go into next, let's see, I've skipped one of them there, there we go. And notice I'm typing just two digits but as soon as I exit out, FileMaker enters in the four digit year. Now that works fine in this case but it may not always work for you perfectly. If you entered something like 07, FileMaker may interpret it as 1907 or 2007 so it's better to type the four digit year right off the bat. In fact there's even a Validation that will require four digit years. Now once you're done with this record, you can create a new record simply by moving up here into the Status Toolbar or you can go to the Records Menu and choose New Record here where's there's also a Keyboard Command for it. Again something you're going to do very commonly, you might want to memorize this Keyboard Command. I'm not saying all Keyboard Commands but this one's a good one because you're creating records quite often. Now you wouldn't have access to the Status Toolbar if it was hidden like this and we often do this with professional solutions but if this is your own solution, you'll often have it showing and this is probably the easiest way to get a new record. You click on it, you'll see over here we now have two records; we can come in here and start typing. If you didn't want that record you could delete it, simple as that, permanently delete, it will be gone. You'll never get it back, we're back down to one record. We can easily create another new record if you want and we can continue typing. So that's how you do that, it's very easy and then when you want to go back and forth between the records, you can go to this record or you can go to this record, using the little Rolodex. So it's quite a simple process. You have a bunch of records inside of your database that's like rows in a spreadsheet if you're familiar with a spreadsheet. You just get to them a little bit differently, you can view them one at a time if you want, it's a little bit easier and more comfortable interface if, if you want to use that, that terminology. I, I just like it, it's easier to compartmentalize what you're looking at, you can see it just, you know go to this record. Okay, I'm just looking this record, there's not a whole bunch of other data on the screen.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.