There are so many New Layout Features it's going to be impossible to show them all in a brief overview. I'm going to select just the best features and highlight them and we'll save the rest of them for when we're going through the tutorials and show them when they make sense for what we're doing at that time. So these New Features will show up all throughout beginner, intermediate and advanced. Most of them will show up in the beginner but you will see a few that make sense to be shown in later tutorials. So we're going to show off these New Layout Features by using a Starter Solution. I'm going to use a Contacts and we'll just save it on the desktop and you can see what we have is a beautiful New Starter Solution and it uses one of the New Layout Themes in FileMaker 12. Now these are not like the themes we had before, these are truly themes that will change whenever you want. In other words if you chose a theme in previous versions it would be that theme and you would have to make a new layout if you wanted a different theme. These ones will change whenever you want, they're really great so let's show them off. If we go to Layout Mode, then we go up to Layouts Menu and choose Change Theme, whether this is a Starter Solution or one you created from scratch because you will get asked if you create a new layout what kind of theme you want to use. You just come in here, you change it, you go oh you know what let's find out what I like. Okay. I'm on Semi-Rounded, maybe I want another Semi-Rounded Beach or maybe I want a Rounded which would be Cosmos maybe. Or maybe I want to go into this area, Rectangular and go to Bamboo, I mean there's all different kinds of choices here. I'm going to choose Onyx here because it looks very different, you'll see it changes everything on this entire layout. It's all been updated, this is really cool and makes it very easy for you to design a really good looking solution very quickly. Now one of my other favorite features are the Guides and you can see them here in blue and if you go through the different layouts, you'll see that they will have the Guides as well but not necessarily in the same place. That's because you can have Guides on, different Guides on different layouts but you can have the same Guide on different layouts as well. So let's show how they work, if we go ahead and drag in from here or in from here we can get ourself a Guide and then we can decide, well what do we want to do with that guide? Do we want to go ahead and lock it so it doesn't move it or do we want to also show it on all layouts? And so now you see it's a, kind of fuchsia color here. We move to another layout, you see it's there so you can line things up across multiple layouts, it's really a great feature. Not only that we have Guides which replace the T Squares which is much better. We now have Dynamic Guides, this is really, really cool. Let me go ahead and show you based on this, if we grab something, watch what happens. These Dynamic Guides are just flipping all over the place. they allow you to line up with the center of an object, with an edge of an object. You see how all these things work here? You also get this Dynamic Location Indicator, really fantastic stuff so you don't have to go into let's say, Inspector and use a more complicated feature to line things up, such as the position or whatever it might be. So those are great features, I love them, in fact when you're resizing, it also does some great things. You get the feedback but also tells you, is this the size of another object? You now know that, that field is the size of those labels over there and so when we get over here. We can see when it gets to the size of these and then we're done. Didn't need to select all of them and, and then go ahead and use the position, Tab to go ahead and figure out whether they're aligned or not. It's very, very intuitive, very easy, so you can do one button clicking. You don't have to go back and forth between the Inspector. I'll still use the Inspector but this makes it very easy. You also have to realize there is also Relative Resizing, so if we get multiple objects selected, you'll notice that they have one selection rectangle. You also notice the New Knobs. You have a, a know that will allow you to select and change the size just in this one area but notice that what's happening here. We are changing this relative, if you did this with the previous version of FileMaker, you'd be, get a big mess. All the things are resized in weird ways, now they resize relatively to each other. It's really, really helpful, you can take a job that's maybe 15 minutes long and change it down to 30 seconds literally with this feature. You also notice that there's new badges here, if we go ahead and View and Show our Buttons, we'll see we have a new badge for the button here and we also have new badges that will show up in the upper right-hand corner, that means that there is a Script Trigger running in the layout. So there's all kinds of cool things going on here to give you better feedback. You also have your Stencils, love these, if you pop this menu down, you can choose to Show a Stencil for, let's say the iPhone. And you can choose to show the same one for an iPhone in landscape and now you can design on our computer for that size screen. In fact you can put any kind of stencil in there, you can put a custom size if you want or, or for another computer. It's, it's something I used to use another program for separately to do this and now it's in FileMaker it's great. And one last thing I'll show you and this is by no means even close to covering all the features. If you click on a Field, come over here and come into Appearance Section, you notice that you have States. You have the Normal State, the In Focus State, the Hover State and the Pressed State. You notice that this gradient that they're applying here and that's another new feature changes just a little bit on each one of these, so let's see what it does. I'll go back to Browse Mode and you'll see when I hover over it, it changes the color of that and you may not be able to see this when I click into it, it also changes the color yet again. So really great feedback in these features for Browse Mode with that hover, I really love it and I hope you enjoy all of the Layout Features that have been added as we go through the rest of the tutorials.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.