As I said before we're showing you really brief intros to these New FileMaker 12 Features. So we'll get into them in more detail later on throughout the tutorial. I want to give you an introduction, that's it at this point, just so you can kind of find out what these new features are all about and now we're going to talk about scripting. So we're going to go right into Manage Scripts and we have four scripts here, you already saw two of them run in the previous section but I'm going to show you what they actually comprised of. You can see that this is Windows Style Floating. So we're creating a new window and when you go in here you're going to see that we have Windows Styles here. You have all the same features you had before, Window Name, Height, Width so on but now you have this New Style. You can say I want a Document Window which is a standard type of window you're used to in FileMaker. This allows you full control, this one happens to change it to a Floating Document Window but you can also change it to a Dialog Window which is modal meaning you, you've got to dismiss it before you can go to the window behind it. The Floating would be good for a Floating Palette. Notice you also have control over what pieces show up, the Close Button, the Minimize, the Maximize, the Zoom Control Area and the Resize down in here or the Resize over here. All of those things are controlled but you can make a window with none of these on there if you want. It's very cool what you can do with this. So this next script is really the same thing. the only difference is we have this option chosen and notice that some of these dim out when you make it modal. Obviously you can't do certain things when it's modal, you couldn't minimize it. So those are very simple versions of those scripts and we'll run them in a second just to remind you, remember what they do. Now we also have some other things, we have New Tab Panel Scripts or Script Triggers. So we're going to go ahead and show this, we're going to Edit this and we're going to see a very simple script. It says My Name Is in the title, My Current Name is and you can put in here and we got the function here GetTriggerCurrentTabPanel. And what that will get is get that value out of there and so I'm going to put that into the message and you'll see what it actually comes up with. And notice that we're getting value 2 here, there are two values that get returned here so we're going to get several different results here. And also notice down here inside of this Show Custom Dialog we have the ability to Commit Data on all buttons, before you didn't have these Checkboxes. What you have now is the ability to say well I want Button 2 to also commit there because before if you clicked on this Button, even if it said Yes or whatever, it, it wouldn't commit the value that would be the input field here. It just would act like it was never there so now we have the ability to commit on any button you want, it obviously defaults to what it was before but that's really a big plus because I always wanted to be able to do that. And then our last script is Insert File, great features in here. We're going to go and take a look at this area here where you can change the dialog of the Insert File, you can change what you want to appear in there. For instance you can add in just images, just video, audio, all files, whatever you want and then that's all they can do from that Insert Dialog, they can't go beyond that. You have Storage Options here, let the user choose a reference and insert, you know whether it inserts directly into a file as a reference. You have the ability to display the icons however you want or content of the file if possible, all those kinds of things. You can choose to compress or not compress and this has to do with the Enhanced Container Fields. So there's all kinds of options here so you can customize that dialog to what, however you want it to appear. So let's take a look at how these things run. First of all we ran these before but let's show them again now that you've seen the script. We ran before the Windows Styles 1, that means it's a Floating Palette and again I can work inside this area with this floating on the top still. That's the benefit of that type and typically we wouldn't have a big giant window like this, you'd have a small window that's floating there for a, a maybe menu to take you to different areas. And then you have your Modal Dialog, if I click on here, I cannot get back to this window. I can't do anything except stay in this window until I dismiss it. And if I had the Close Box gone here. That was one of the options, I could have a little button in here that said Close It. So those are great, those are how those work. Now over here we have our Insert File, notice when I click on it, it says Insert Image here, I can only choose images, I can't change any of these options down here and I can go down and find whatever I want and have it do that action but I've limited them to what they can do and made it a little more you know customized to what they want. I love this feature, so I just canceled out of that. Then the next one is your Tab Panel Script Trigger, click on here, it says My Current Name is Tab 1, My Target is Tab 2 and moves to Tab 2. Do it again, there we go, it just as simple as pie, it's just that easy. So if you come in here and look at this script again or actually go from the perspective of Layout Mode, you'll see what's going on here. So go into Layout Mode and we'll come in here and click on this Object and we'll go in here to our Set Script Triggers. You'll see we're saying OnTabSwitch, this is the New Script Trigger. Run Tab Panel Show Name and again just to show you this one more time, what this dialog does is shows two different things, GetTriggerCurrentTabPanel and GetTriggerTargetTabPanel and returns several values and you can discover those as we go through them. For now I'm going to leave it a mystery at this point but it has several values it returns, whether it's you know the, the name that you've assigned it or whatever. So there's a lot of cool things going on here. Now we also have Insert from URL, so if we go ahead and run that, you notice that what we've done is we've inserted information directly from the Databasepros website. You could do this already with another function but it was more complicated, it's made it more accessible so you can take all that detail, all that HTML code from whatever URL use, you put in there and I'll show you what it is and put it right in here. Put it right in there and search it or, or parse it or do whatever you want with it. So it's very cool what you could do with that, that information once you pull it from a, a URL. So all we've done here is attached it directly to here and you see the new badge here which is kind of cool for a button. Come in here you see that I've just specified that URL directly in here, I could have specified a field if I wanted to and you can just pull that information directly from that, it just goes over the Internet and grabs it. So some very cool features in the Script Area as far as I'm concerned. I'm not as, as in overwhelmed by the Calculation Functions but the Script Features definitely I'm very much a big fan of these.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.