If you're already familiar with FileMaker, you're probably chomping at the bit to explore the new features, so here's a quick overview so you can see all the features in one place. We're going to go over each one of these features or at least most of them in various areas of the tutorials. We're not going to cover them all in one spot because it doesn't really make sense out of context of building a solution in my opinion. Some of them will be covered right up front so you can get a really good introduction to them but a lot of them, you're really going to have to look at how we use the program differently throughout the tutorials to get an idea how these new features actually work. So we'll start up here at the top, the first one is Persistent or Temporary Sort. A while back FileMaker changed the sorting so there was Persistent. In other words if you edited or added a record it would automatically sort that found set for you, just re-sort it on the fly. Before that you would have to sort it again, well some people don't like that so now there's an option, if you go to the Records Menu and choose Sort Records, you'll see the checkbox there to either check or uncheck to either do Persistent or Temporary Sort. There's also the same choice inside of the script stuff for sorting. Show Custom Dialog has also been improved or enhanced; it allows some options at the bottom to determine which button is the one that allows you to commit the value that's been typed into a field that's been attached to that custom dialog. So we're not going to go over that right now, we will later and you'll see how it works, it's a great feature, long time overdue. The Quick Table View which I don't really use a lot but some people like it has been enhanced and we'll try to go over those in, in the beginner tutorial. The Web Viewer has a small little encoding checkbox, the default is for it to be on and, and when it was not there that checkbox, encoding was always on but now you have the chance to take encoding off and for what that's worth, we won't really cover that. You can do that yourself if you want and try that out. Windows Style is a really big feature, now you can determine when you create a new window, what style it is. It can be the style where it's a dialog or a floating palette or a regular window and we'll do definitely do examples of that right quickly, right after this in the next section as well as throughout the tutorials. Some Contextual Menu Commands have been changed, whether you're right-clicking or control clicking to bring that up, those have changed. They're not that different but it's worth a mention, you can sort records by a field and I think the best use of this is really when you have your cursor in a field, you can click a button and it'll use that field that your cursor's in to sort by. So that's kind of nifty to make some dynamic scripts. One of the biggest features, the most impressive feature in Enhanced Container Fields and I can't really sum this up very well, it's a great feature, there's so many aspects to it, you're just going to have to watch other sections to see how this works but this is really a big feature. There are some additional Script Triggers, the biggest ones being the Script Triggers on Tabs when you switch tabs, those are great and there's some additional Calculation Functions. Most of them are for the Script Triggers to determine what's been done during the Script Trigger running as well as some that are specifically for FileMaker Go for location and things like that. We'll try to cover those but really not that important as far as the overall scheme of things, we'll probably cover the Script Trigger Functions more. Another one, a long awaited feature, the ability to Customize the Insert File Script Step, so when you bring up that dialog and say locate a file, you can change all kinds of things about it, really been waiting for this one for a long time. Also in Layout Mode, now you have gradients, image fields and a lot of other features we'll talk about. You also have if you remember, in previous versions, you have the features for putting in let's say two At Signs which would be doing the record number and two Pound Signs which would do the page number. Now you have a ton, a plethora of different variable symbols you can put in there, so you don't have to create calculations. There are a ton of new script steps that we're not really going to cover in detail here, there's too many to, to suggest but a lot of them are very simple, they just correspond to the new features and aren't really that deep. So I won't cover them here but we'll see them as we go through. You now have Guides and Dynamic Guides, Guides are kind of like your, your feature that used the T Squares before but much better and Dynamic Guides, well I can't even describe that, you had, you just have to see it, they're very cool. You have new Selection Knobs and Highlights, very cool, you'll see how this all works when we go into Layout Mode. You have some significant charting improvements, not only adding new chart capabilities but improving how you interface with it, it is much, much better, much easier to use in my opinion. You have Object States, whether you're hovering over an object or clicking down on an object. You have different states of that object, you can have it do different things, very, very cool. You have multiple layout undo's, you had multiple undo's in Browse Mode but now you have it in Layout Mode and they removed all of your patterns but and so in order to get/and dot lines they had to add that feature. So patterns have been removed,/and dot lines have been added which is really all people used patterns for anyhow so. Explicit Layout Width, well I can't really describe that one, you'll have to see it but it's really a very welcome feature so you don't have to put this little invisible line over on the right side. Enough said, it's a developer feature and if you're not familiar with putting that invisible locked line over on the right side you'll have to wait to see what we're talking about. This is a developer feature specifically for developers, developing plug-ins, so I'm not going to really go over this but it makes it easier for them to do the things they want to do. A big feature is Layout Themes, this is much more than it sounds, it's not just themes, it's the themes were implemented and you're really going to have to see this happen to really see what's going on. Screen Stencils are great, you can put a little outline of what an iPad or an iPhone would look in Portrait or Landscape Mode or any size stencil you want so it just outlines. So you can design on a gigantic 30 inch screen with the high resolution for people who have only 1024 by 768, very, very - I used to use a separate program for this, I love this feature. Accessibility is a set of features that help people with disabilities, specifically people who can't see very well, it'll read things for you, makes it easier for you to do that. There's a whole new set of Starter Solutions. You have some Enhanced Tab Control and other things and it's really kind of minor so it's, I'm not going to really go over it too much. As we've mentioned before, there's a new file format fmp12. There are new badges, these are great, this little badge in the lower right-hand corner that shows if there's a Layout Script Trigger, you never saw that. There's a new badge for what a button looks like, it's really great and you can also now open URL for FileMaker Files. So you can open a FileMaker File through the Open URL Script Step, really great. And there's not many features in FileMaker Advanced but let's go over them. One of the big ones the developers wanted was to Globally Enable or Disable Script Triggers through the Script Debugger and as we go through that, we'll, you know, the Script Debugger, we'll cover how that works. There has been Custom Menu improvements, they're really kind of minor. Default Custom Menus are no longer created; Blank Menu Items are replaced Boolean to support iOS devices. This is kind of a cool one and we'll get into this and if it doesn't make sense yet, you'll find out what this means later on when we actually work on Custom Menus. The DDR has obviously been enhanced to support the new features, that's the Database Design Report. The Runtime now supports the Close Window Button and the Launch PHP Assistant has been removed from the Tools Menu because it's no longer supported by FileMaker Server. So not a lot in FileMaker Advanced but in a lot in FileMaker Pro 12 which is also in Advance.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.