I'd like to talk a little bit about the family of FileMaker products because sometimes it can be a little confusing. There are five different products in the FileMaker family. You have FileMaker Pro 12, FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced, FileMaker Server 12, FileMaker Server 12 Advanced and FileMaker Go 12 for iPad and iPhone. So let's talk about the basic differences here. I like to group the server products into one group and Pro 12 Advanced and Pro 12 and Go 12 into another category. The server is for deployment, in other words, once you've developed a solution, you put it on your server and you consume or access the data through FileMaker Pro 12, 12 Advanced or FileMaker Go. But there is a reason why there are five different products, because they all have different capabilities, different strong points. Let's go into the details, dive into them and see what the differences are between each one of these products. So let's talk about the workhorse which is FileMaker Pro 12. It does just about everything, you can create fully customized relational database systems from scratch. You can create calculations, automate with scripts, validate your entry, use Auto Enter, Web Viewers, everything that you've ever seen in demonstrations of FileMaker can be done or created with FileMaker Pro 12. In fact you can even make FileMaker Pro 12 a server of sorts, it can share up to nine simultaneous users of WAN or LAN with another FileMaker Pro Client. So that's pretty cool if you're a small company and you know you can't afford Server and you know, you just want to buy a couple of copies of FileMaker and share them, well this is a great way to go. It doesn't have some of the great advantages of FileMaker Server but it's a pretty good solution for a really small company. You also can share with up to five simultaneous users of a LAN or WAN and have web browsers access your solution via Instant Web Publishing or Instant IWP. So this is also cool too, you can share it with a web browser. We're not going to cover Instant Web Publishing in this tutorial so, but it basically it's just a, a way of interfacing other than Custom Web Publishing which we also won't cover, that's all in the, the web publishing courses that VTC offers. But it's a great way if you have an, an unknown audience and so you can have FileMaker Pro 12 share with a web browser or an unknown audience, the public or in other words. Now, what's the difference between FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced? Well, FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced has all the features of FileMaker Pro 12 plus a bunch of developer features. It can create stand alone, runtime solutions. In other words, somebody could download your solution, your FileMaker Solution from your website and use it without even owning FileMaker, that's pretty cool and it's royalty free distribution. But its also some great developer features, the ability to debug and troubleshoot with specialized tools. We have a Script Debugger to find where the problem is with the Debugger it slows down the, the script and we'll find out more about this later. You have the Data Viewer which is great, often used with the Script Debugger and the Database Design Report or DDR. We'll find out about all these things later on but they are specialized tools that you help you develop more easily. And there's other advanced features, I'm not listing them all here, but you have Custom Functions, Custom Menus and one of my favorite, Copy and Paste Schema. In other words, you know how to copy and paste an object on a layout or you're going to learn how to do it, but with FileMaker Advanced what you can do extra is, copy and paste a field, copy and paste a table. That's really handy when you're trying to go ahead and put a field that's in one table into another table. Right. Rather than having to copy it manually with all the options, FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced makes it really easy. Now FileMaker Server 12 is the server version that most people are going to have, once they go above let's say five or ten, for sure ten because they, you can't share with FileMaker Pro 12 then. It's a high performance server software for teams of FileMaker Client Guests, up to 250. It maximizes your performance and definitely if you have over ten, you're going to want to do that and it maximizes your security for larger groups. It has tons of automation tools for administrative tasks but especially for backups. It can backup while FileMaker is running, FileMaker Pro as a host cannot do that. It also has a Log Viewer with e-mail notifications, so if an error happens or a schedule runs, you can have it e-mail you. It has support for PHP for Custom Web Publishing and it also supports ESS or External SQL Data Source. So this is what most people get as far as server product, now what you're going to see next is Server 12 Advanced. It has all the features of FileMaker Server 12 but bumps up to a maximum of 999 guests on a network with FileMaker Pro Client. Now technically it's really unlimited as far as the number of guests, but I usually recommend about a thousand, that's pretty good. It supports ODBC and JDBC data sources. This is different than ESS and allows you to share up to 100 simultaneous instant web publishing users. You can't even do instant web publishing with FileMaker Server, the regular server version. And last but not least the newest addition to the family, FileMaker Go 12, it allows you to deploy your solution on an iPhone or an iPad. You can either drag a copy of your solution into iTunes and have it synch it there or you can actually connect from within FileMaker Go to a solution that you already have running FileMaker Server. It uses the TCP/IP Protocol just like that and you can do it over 3G or over a, a wireless network, whatever you want, it works just great. So there's two ways to do that but you have no ability to create databases, just use them, that's it. You can't create them on there and it's also important to note that when you're, have a FileMaker Go solution, you know or a FileMaker Solution you want to access on FileMaker Go, it's usually a good idea to program it specifically for that platform. You know, in other words, have different layouts for FileMaker Go than regular FileMaker Pro because although you can get them to work on the same layout, it's usually you want bigger buttons and you want different features and you want to limit what people can do. There's some things that you just, you won't do under FileMaker Go and so you want to tailor something specifically to a FileMaker Go Solution. So usually have layouts for your Macintosh and Windows people and then also layouts for your FileMaker Go people.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.