It's going to take you awhile to learn everything Manage Database can do. So we're going to continue on with learning how Manage Database works, we're going to go beyond creating fields and the simple options we learned before. We're going to learn things about duplicating and deleting and generally organizing this Manage Database to work more efficiently. So we're going to start with Changing the Field Type. I'm going to come up here to the Address 2 and I'm going to change the field type. I'm going to come over here and change it to a Date Field, there's no reason to do this but I want you to see what happens. It's easily done; you just hit Change and notice it will give you some kind of error message here. Basically it says you might mess up the data, you know it, it may not be true but it's giving you a warning, proceed anyhow. We don't have to worry about this because we don't have any data plus we're going to change this back to a Text Field anyhow. So that's very easy to do and notice the only time you have to hit this Change Button is when you change the name as we did in the previous section or the type. When you go into Options and do something, you know like let's say we turn on Creation Date or something like that we don't have to hit Change, it maybe a little confusing at first but those will in, include comments in that as well if you have the comment you have to change as well. Otherwise the Options are just you know, you don't have to hit Save. It, it assumes when you're clicking OK here that, that's your save. Let's try deleting a field, so I'm going to come over here and delete the Address 2 Field. Now when you hit Delete, it's going to permanently delete the selected field and all of its data. It no longer be on any layout, it'll no longer be in any scripts, any calculations, it will no longer be referenced anywhere. It will be completely gone as well as all the data so it's, it's a permanent delete. And it's different than if you're on the Layout as we were in the last section where you just simply could delete a field of the layout, that's just a representation of that field on that layout. This is the schema we're working with in Manage Database, realize you delete it from here, it's gone from everywhere. So we're going to go ahead and delete it, it's gone; we still have a chance to get it back as we'll see at the end here. So let's go into some other features, let's talk about moving fields. If I want this Date of Birth Field to be up here, I simply drag by those little arrows, get it to where I want it, drop it and it's there. And if you didn't see that, it changed from Creation Order to Custom Order. I can switch back to Creation Order and this is the order in which I created those fields and I can go back to Custom Order if I want and that's the customize order I arrange them in. I can even go to Alphabetize by Field Name which is probably my favorite view. You also have by Field Type so you can get all the Text Fields, all the Date Fields and all the Timestamp Fields in a row. So let's switch back to Field Name and realize that you see that up here you can actually click and sort by these areas here and if you click a second time it'll switch from Ascending to Descending. So you can do that in both ways here but this is a little bit different. This switches between your different options, your options and your comments. So notice we have that comment next to Company right here, I don't really prefer this view, I like to see the Options here, but if you like that, it's there, you can look at it that way. It's up to you how you look at the data; you just need to understand how you can work with this. But I'm going to switch it back to Field Name and one more thing I want to say about this View By here, is this determines, this Manage Database and what View By you have set here or have clicked on along here, determines how you view fields in other dialogs such as putting a field on a layout. I usually want them in alphabetical order not in creation order because then I can do a think like this. I can go P H and it goes right to Phone and I can quickly find that. I don't have to scroll up and down if you have 100 fields and try to find it. I can just type the letter quickly get there because creating a database for me is all about efficiency. If you can create more databases then I can actually create more money. So it's important when you come out of Manage Database to know what your View By is or to realize that if you have a dialog and it's not in alphabetical order, well it's because Manage Database is not in alphabetical order. And so I often switch it back to Field Name whenever I leave, even if I'm switching it to Creation Order to, to try and remind myself what was the last couple of fields I created, I'll switch it right back to Field Name right away. Now there's also a nice feature here called Print down here. It prints only to the selected fields so if I Shift-Click on these four fields and hit Print, only those four fields will print. If you want to select all of them, well you can do a Command A or a Control A and select all of them but realize it will only print the ones that are selected. And also realize that we have another option here which is this Duplicate, if I come in and duplicate let's say our Timestamp Create, it's very easy to make some changes here to make it another field. I can go into Options, change it to that and that maybe faster than actually creating that field from scratch, it's up to you. So there are some efficiency techniques for the Manage Database if you want to use them. I suggest becoming very familiar with this and you will as you use it but concentrate, play around these features a little while, get used to it. So you really know how to use this dialog because you're going to be going in and out of it a lot. Now the last thing that I want to show is, we're going to hit Cancel here. Instead of OK which will save these, I'm going to hit Cancel; it'll say Do you want to discard all these changes? Well, if I hit Cancel it will go ahead and not, you know cancel the changes. But if I hit Discard, it's going to discard all the changes since we last came into Manage Database. So if we come back in here, we'll see what happened here. You see our Address 2 Field is back to a Text Field and back in here completely. We'll see that we have no Timestamp Mod 1, all those things that we did since the last time we came in here are gone, so that's an easy way to go back to what you were. Remember how that works, so you can take away a bunch of changes that you didn't really want to do.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.