You may have noticed in the previous section when I exited Manage Database that I had no fields on the layout. That's because of a Preference Settings, let's show you what I mean by that. We're going to click OK to get out of Manage Database and you may have your fields listed up here and again that's because of a Setting in Preferences that I've turned off. You'll find Preferences under the FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Pro Advanced Menu on the Macintosh or under the Edit Menu on Windows. So I'm going to go into Preferences, once you get in there, whether you're on Mac or Windows, it will look essentially the same here with the Tabs across the top. And there are quite a few Preferences you can fiddle around with on here to make FileMaker work the way you want to. Take a look at these. We're not going to go over every single one, we're going to go straight to the Layout Tab and you're going to see that you probably have Add Newly Defined Fields to Current Layout checked. I've unchecked it because I don't want the new fields to be added automatically, it's really a Beginner Feature and it can really mess up your layout. If you have a beautifully designed layout with graphics and stuff what it'll do is it will put up your new field at the very bottom of the layout and if the body part is right at the bottom of where you have your objects. And of course you don't know what a body part is yet or maybe you do, it'll move that body part down and it will make a big ugly mess of things. And so I generally turn that off because I want to control when these get added. So I would recommend unchecking that and then what we're going to do is work with Layout Mode now to quickly put these fields on the layout. We're going to do a brief summary of this, just show you the basics so you can get started here in case you don't have fields on here, you need to add them. If you already have them, well you can probably skip this part right now. Now what I'm going to do is, I'm going to switch from Table View right here, over to Form View, this is the traditional view, Form View and it's what you typically see inside of FileMaker if you've used FileMaker before. There's also a List View as well and that's another traditional view but the Table View doesn't allow you to add any interface or not so much interface and it, it's really for a quick database that looks like a spreadsheet. Professional developers typically use just these two forms here right here. So we're going to go and click this button Edit Layout Mode which you can also get to by going to View, Layout Mode or coming down here and going to Layout Mode. But this is the easiest one, I'll be using this most of the time, Edit Layout. And I'm going to get rid of the Inspector for right now, it may or may not be showing, if it's showing just to get rid of it. So we need to see it and what you're going to see in here are a lot of things that you don't understand if you're new to FileMaker. You have a Header and a Body and a Footer, these are parts. Don't worry about that, all you need to know is that the Body goes from this point to this point and you need to get your fields into this area. That's not always true but for right now it's true enough. So we're going to go over here to our Tools, that's lots of them, again you, you'll learn as we go on. We're going to go to this one tool right here called the Field Tool and if you just simply drag out here, just to where you want it maybe right about there, let go, it'll give you a list of all of your fields. I'm going to start with the Company Field, make sure Create Label is checked, click OK and it's put the Company Field on there for me. I'll come and drag another field, let go, choose Name First and I'll keep doing this for awhile, keep going down this list. Notice that, that little Feedback there, show, show has it's lined up with that one? Very perfect, it shows how it's the same distance from the other one, so it makes it very easy to place things on the layout. So go to Name Last, drag another field out there, got it in the right spot, Address 1, we're just going to go right down the list here, add them all in here. Make sure we get it in the right spot here that looks pretty good; I think it's probably off but I'm not too worried about the way the layout looks right now. There we go, I'm going to do the City and if you're running out of room to put them in the Body part, you simply put your cursor over this line and drag the Body part down, it's that easy. Then we drag another field out here, State, another one, keep going down the list here. Postal Code, Phone and I think E-mail is the last one here, all we have, well we have Date of Birth, can't forget that one and it's just going to fit in here. So the rest of the fields are all, the Housekeeping Fields and you don't necessarily need to show these on a layout because again, they will work without showing them on the layout. And you don't really need to see them all the time, they're not that important or maybe they are to you, who knows? Well, we're going to Exit Layout and now you can come over here and you'll notice that when I try to click in that field, it says No Records are Present. Well that's because we have zero records, we have to create a new record either by going to the Records Menu or by clicking this button inside the Toolbar. Now we have one record and now you can see that we can get into these different fields by clicking into them. So I'm going to type in Datebase Pros and notice there's not enough room to display everything once you exit out of it? We'll get into resizing these fields and other things later on. We can type in John and then Osborne. So again we're showing you the very basics of how to work with Layout Mode, that's all I want to show you. Now I also want to show you that the Housekeeping Fields are already working for you. So if we go to Layout Mode and drag those fields on there very quickly, again we don't necessarily need to have them on there but I wanted you to see how they work. So we'll get them on there real quick, there we go, last one and I'm just double-clicking on the field, rather than clicking and going to OK, just a quick way to do that. We'll Exit Layout, you'll see that it's put in even though it can't display it all in the size of the field you have, it's put the Creation Date and Time in there, plus the count and that, we'll learn more about counts in security. So that's great, so we're just doing a little aside here to make sure you have all the fields in a layout, then make sure you're in Form View. So using a professional style of view and we're going to go right back to Manage Database so we can continue working on the things we haven't covered in here yet.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.