Housekeeping Fields allow you to keep track of what's happening to your records such as when the record was created, when it was last modified, who created that record and who last modified that record. These are very important fields to have in every one of your tables. You may not display them on the layout for users to see, but you may need them at any time. For instance, maybe you have a new employee who's entering data incorrectly but you don't know it's that new employee. Well, if you look at who last modified that record, you can probably identify who made the mistake on that record. Maybe they put a Return into the field and you can go up to that employee, hey you know, don't hit that Return Key, hit the Tab Key instead. So there's a lot of other things you can help, people maybe putting it incorrect, you know, a disgruntled employee or something like that, there's all kinds of things that these Housekeeping Fields can help you track down. They're really, really, really helpful, even if you don't display them on the layout. So let's go ahead and create some of them, we're going to come over here and enter Date Created. It's going to be a Date Field, so make sure it says Date there, hit Create. And then you notice how it's highlighted up here. Whatever field's highlighted over here, you can then go into Options. So we'll click Options and then here is a bunch of options. We have Auto-Enter, Validation, Storage, Furigana. We're going to start off with this Auto-Enter and talk about what this does and we're going to use it specifically for this particular example which is Auto-Entering the Creation Date. That means that if you check this when a new record is created, it will immediately put the date from the current computer, you know, whatever the clock is set to, whatever the date is set to, it'll take that date from the current computer and put it into that field. So the date obviously has to be set correctly on that computer but it usually is, I mean, there's no reason it wouldn't be especially since computers set their dates through, through the Internet now and they're always up to date. So that automatically puts that in, that's what an Auto-Enter means, it Auto-Enters that data for you. So that's a great thing to have that data entered in there so you know when that record was created. And then we're going to come down here to Prohibit Modification of Value during Data Entry. This is a safety mechanism to make sure that you know that data is correct, you know, nobody's gone in and accidentally modified and changed that date. Maybe they wanted to change it because they didn't want to know the last, I mean, who knows what they might have done, but this will make sure it can't be modified so that date that was created is the date that was entered there when it was created. Now there's a lot of other options in here that we'll get to as we go through the tutorials, don't worry about not knowing all of them. The first one you need to know is this Creation Date and realize there's other options here that you can Auto-Enter, like Time, Timestamp, Name and Account Name but we're going to go over those in upcoming tutorials. For right now, Creation Date is perfect and it automatically chose Date just so you know, because we had Date here. It knew that you wanted this one to Auto-Enter so it just made things easier for you. You'll find FileMaker doing that a lot for you. So we're going to click OK and check over what we did. We make sure it's a Date Field. We can see its Auto-Enter in the Creation Date and it can't Modify. So that, it's important to become familiar with these options here so you really know what's going on and I'm going to just going take this to make my job easier. I'm going to delete these letters, type in Mod for Modify and then hit Create again. Go into Options again, this time I'm going to choose Modification Date, it has all the options are dimmed out because this is a Date Field. But that's the idea here it, it knows that you know, it must be this one, because you have a Date Field and then we're going to choose Prohibit Modification as well. Now how does Modification Date work? It works whenever you modify any field, there's only one Modification Date for the whole record and it's when you modify any field on that record. And it only updates when you commit that record, that would be going to another record or, or clicking somewhere where you're not in a field, you know, there's no cursor in the field or maybe close the file. Those are all committing the record and that's when that Modification Date will update. So click OK again and there are your Housekeeping Fields at least very basic Housekeeping Fields. We do have some additional ones we want to do for accounts and we're also going to change this to a Timestamp from a date but I wanted to give you the very basics, the easiest ones to do here. So what we're going to do in the next section is go ahead and copy and paste those Housekeeping Fields from a template so you learn about a FileMaker Advanced Feature. Now if you don't FileMaker Advanced you're going to have to type these in and we'll show you all the details but you should have FileMaker Advanced to make your life easier, allow you to copy and paste these. It'll help you in two ways, one is you won't have to do all that typing because let's say you have 10 tables. You have to do it every single one and when you're going through these tables you're bound to make a mistake by typing them in. So you might as well copy and paste them, make your life easier and cut down on mistakes.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.