A Cross-Tab Report is one that looks more like a spreadsheet than your traditional FileMaker Subsummary Report so let's take a look at an existing report we've already created, an existing FileMaker Subsummary Report so we can analyze how we can change this to make it look more like a spreadsheet. So we'll go into Layout Mode and we'll go to our CUSTOMERS, Reports and Report by Category and if we go into Preview Mode and then make sure that we're sorted, and we are sorted by category, then we're going to see our category followed by a chart and then all the detail and then continue on with the detail and then we'll see our next category followed by the detail. This is very linear. It's vertical. I like to see something where we have a Table or a Matrix, so it looks like a box here so we can get a lot more information into one area, a smaller area and you can compare it much more easily. It takes a little bit more work than your standard Subsum Report but it may be worth it in certain situations. So, we're going to go ahead and try this out and we've actually already created this report, this Cross-Tab Report, already, so we're going to take a look at what we've done already. So we'll go into Layout Mode, switch back to our CUSTOMERS Form, go back into Browse Mode and we'll change this and you see we have Product Report underneath the menu button. That runs a script which we'll show you later and it shows your report and you can see here we have a little bit of Conditional formatting going on and here's the numbers of the actual months that we actually have product sales on it and you can see the totals down here. And if we come down here and look at it in Layout Mode, we'll just cancel this and then Edit, Layout Mode, you can see what we have is a Header, a Subsummary by kf product ID to organize all the products into their categories, a Trailing Grand Summary and then a Footer. Then we have Text Blocks up here, we have our Product Name right here, we have month total 1, month total 2, month total 3 and so on. You see in order to get it to go across like this we need a bunch of extra fields and these fields are the same down here, they're just in a Trailing Grand Summary so they give you totals of all the products, but we do need 12 fields, in this case, to add this up and actually we need 12 fields plus 12 Summary fields as you'll see. And then we also have some Conditional formatting that I'll show you briefly. On each one of these it says: Does month 1 equal zero, then change the text color to gray, and if you go to this one it says: Does month 2 equal zero, so that's a little bit of work but I think it really helps you to see where the data is if you have zeros on there. So we'll go to Manage, Database and we'll look down here at our fields. We have month1, month2, all the way through month12, so we'll take a look at the first one. It's a calculation that says: declare first this Variable to be the same value as date post. That's because you use it down here and it just made it easier in case we want to change it up here. It wasn't used multiple times, it just made it easier to change it if we needed to use it for some other solution. And then we use a Case statement that says: if the month number, that's what the Month function does, equals 1, then give us a price extended, otherwise don't give us anything. And then we add on zero here in case, you know, there's no sales for that product in that period and we also unchecked this, we saw that in a previous section, so that's so we can get a zero there instead of just a blank. So simple. That calculation on each record either results in extended price or not. And if we go into Month2 and look at it, it's essentially the same thing except it compares it to see if it's Month2 and so on. Then we add up, or total, with a Summary field, each one of those Calculation fields, so they're only totaling the first month, or January, the second month, or February and so that's how we're able to get it in that Table View because normally Summary field will total up everything but we can make these conditions up here so that these Summary fields only total up what we want it to and, you know, it works pretty well. It just requires a lot of fields. So we'll go into our Manage Scripts and take a look at the script. We're not going to bother with the Menu button because you've done that many times before. It's very easy to do that, but we have this script called Product Report that is run from the Menu button and it first goes to a layout based on INVOICES, enters Find Mode and then it looks at the CurrentDate and it says find everything from, you know, this year basically. We don't care about the month, we don't care about the day, we just care about the current year. So that's how we can find all of the records for this year, so you're basically getting a yearly report. You don't have to do that Find but I thought it would be helpful in this situation. Then we perform the find, we're assuming we're going to find records; you might want to put some Error checking in here and then once we've found all those Invoice records that pertain to it we Go to Related Record, very importantly matching all records in current found set so it matches all the invoices to their line items and then goes to the layout called Print Cross-Tab which is the report layout. Then we Sort the records, of course. We need to sort them by kf product ID. Enter Preview Mode and Pause, of course you could print if you want to. Enter Browse Mode, Go to Back, all this is standard stuff. And that's about it. I find out this is a nifty little technique that I like to use because it really gives you an idea what everything is really about in one, you know, small area you can quickly go, oh, look in the reports, in fact, we might even add a chart up here which might be nice to chart all these different months against each other. That might be a nifty little addition to this.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.