There's one script trigger we skipped simply because it's in a different place than all of the standard script triggers. It's called InstallOnTimer Script, so it's actually a script step. It allows you to run a script at specified intervals. We're going to show you a basic implementation since there is no really ah-ha example where you go, oh, I could use that exactly there. I think everybody's use is going to be a little bit different. But let's show you an example that you might like or, you know, at least you'll get the idea how this works and you can formulate something for your own use. So we're going to go into Manage Scripts, we're going to create a New Script. We're going to call it Install On Timer. There we go and you simply use this script step right here. Move it in there and it has two options of the scripting you have to specify and an interval in seconds. So all you have to do is figure out what your interval is. Well, what we're going to do here is we're going to Commit Records. We're going to say if the user hasn't used something in 10 minutes, you know, they haven't typed anything, they're probably out to lunch and we want to commit the record so it's not locked anymore. You know, of course, you could have something on FileMaker Server that says Disconnect that user when they're inactive and that's certainly one way to do it, but you could also use this technique, this approach, without disconnecting them simply commit that record. And all you have to do is put some test in here to make sure we don't commit the record while they're typing and stuff like that and that should work pretty well. So what we have to do is figure out what's our interval. Well, in this example it's probably really short because we want to be able to demonstrate. I don't want to wait 10 minutes, so we're going to put in 5 seconds. Now, what you'd want to do is, you know, if you wanted to do 10 minutes well, you take 60 seconds per minute and multiply it by 10 which would be 600. We're going to do, let's say, 7 seconds here. That should give us enough time between each one. And then we need to specify a script. We don't have that yet, so we're going to save this and we'll create another New Script, call it Commit and we'll call it Inactivity. There we go. We're going to start off with an IF statement and it's not going to make as much sense until we come back and look at it again but we're going to say: does dollar sign dollar sign Field equal Get ActiveFieldName and not isempty get activefieldname. There we go. So, again, we'll come back to this and take a look at it in a second after we've put in the rest of it so it makes more sense. So if that's true we're going to say let's commit the records. We'll move it in there and I'm going to choose to Skip data entry validation and Perform without dialog because the person's not at their desk. So we'll do that. That may or not always be the option that you want but we're going to do it here. Otherwise, what we're going to do is set our variable. That's how we're going to get a value in there. We're going to say: dollar sign dollar sign Field, we're going to set that to Get ActiveFieldName. There we go. So let's go back to the IF statement here. We say: if dollar sign dollar sign Field equals the ActiveFieldName, the currently active field name which we declared down here, meaning that it ran once, put a field name in here and then ran again and go, oh, it's the same field, that means they probably haven't done anything because they're still in the same field. I doubt they're going to stay in some field for 10 minutes or maybe you decide it's a half an hour or something like that. But also we have to check to make sure there's, you know, something inside of the active field name. We don't need to commit the records if it's already committed. So those are the two tests. You might think up other ideas to put in here to test whether they're active or inactive, but this is the basic test we're going to do here. So we'll save this, come over here to the Install OnTimer, we'll attach that script, go all the way down to the bottom and that's it. Now, normally you put this inside of your Open Script so it opens and runs continuously every 10 minutes or half an hour as they're using the program, but we're going to leave it under the Menu for right now so we can run it from the Script Menu and demonstrate it. So we'll come over here. We'll go to our Tools and show our Script Debugger so we can really see what's going on and then we'll show our Data Viewer as well. Make that a little bit smaller, put that up there and we can still see a couple of fields which will be good enough for what we're trying to do here. Let's see, maybe we can make it a little bit better here. That looks good. OK, so what we're going to do is come up here and run it and we'll hit Play here and I'll make sure I have a field selected and we just have to wait 7 seconds here. Soon as we do that, we see it runs. We see that it simply sets that variable. We have to go to the current section to see that, and now what's going to happen this time is imagine 10 minutes have gone by but really only 7 seconds have gone by, it commits the record here. And you can see it's running faster than I can keep up with it. There we go, put it in the field right there. We'll run that, you can see if we switch fields this time that this time it doesn't commit it because I switched fields and, of course, if I go ahead and exit out of here, out of all fields, it'll automatically just set that value. So, pretty cool how that works. You can use it in many, many different situations. Let's stop all this stuff from running here. For instance you could update a chart, you know, maybe you want to have a chart updated with, you know, people are constantly entering information, you want to have that chart constantly changing. Maybe they're using this chart on a Dashboard with other Summary Values, so you want it to update, let's say, every minute so that people can get that information, maybe you're using FileMaker in the upper right hand corner to see how real estate sales are going or how stocks are moving, or things like that. Maybe you have some type of communication inside of FileMaker, not E-mail, but a way to send notes back and forth as records and you want it to appear in a Portal and you want that to update. You could use InstallOnTimer there. Maybe you want reminders to come up every hour to remind people about their To Do's. I mean, there are so many applications of this script step to have things run on intervals that we really can't cover all of them. It'll be really up to your imagination.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.