In the Intermediate tutorial we programmed a Quick Search feature in the Customer List layout, so let's remind you how that works. We put a Global field in the Header that you can type into so you don't have to show the Status Toolbar to use a Quick Find feature and as soon as you click out of that field it does a search for you. Now there's a couple things I'd like to correct. One is I'd like to be able to delete out of there and have it do a Show All Records. In addition, I'd also like it to be dynamic across all of our layouts and a simple little change will make it work that way. But let's go into Layout Mode and see how easy this is to modify. If you have FileMaker 11 and the Quick Find feature it's so easy to modify how this feature works because right now you can see the flags, have it search all the fields right now. But if we don't want it to search every field well, we can come in here and select Phone and E-mail and uncheck Include field for Quick Find. It's that simple. We just modify it; now it's only searching these fields, we don't have to touch that script, so that's great. Now what if you don't have FileMaker 11, though? What if you want to use Operators? So, in other words, if you need to use the greater than or less than or some other operator, Quick Find doesn't support that. Or, if you have a downloadable solution on your website then you need to make sure that it's compatible with every .fp7 version all the way from FileMaker 7 to 11, well, you can't use the Quick Find feature. So we're going to show you an alternative method but first we're going to go into our script that we have already and show you what we've got. It's not very complicated. What we want to do is make a quick change. First we're going to change this Custom Dialog here so it's dynamic. We've done this quite a few times but I'm going to show you again. I'm going to go leftwords open paren get layoutname close paren semicolon 1 close paren, close that off again because we're going to put a proper over here, open paren, then put in ampersand quote space and now that's a completely dynamic message right there. I'm going to copy this right here, double-click here and then just take the proper out. We've done this quite a few times so I'm doing it very quickly but the whole point is now this works across all of our layouts - Invoices, Products and Customers. Now, what we're also going to do is put an Else If in here. We're going to say: If Get LastError equals 400, if that's true, then we're going to go ahead and Show All Records, so we'll just duplicate this. Move that down there, we'll save that and we'll try it out real quickly. So we'll go into Browse Mode. We'll type in j, it does the Find, come in here and remove it, it shows all records for us. So that's great. That's exactly how I want this to work. But what if you don't have FileMaker 11? What if you want to use operators? Well, let's go ahead and duplicate this script here, come in and edit it, call it Find Quick before FM11. We're going to take out the Perform Quick Find here. Normally we'd have Set Error Capture, the Perform Script, but this was written a long time ago and I'm not going to worry about it because you're very familiar with that. So what we have to do is we have to say Enter Find Mode, take the Pause off, do a Set Field, we'll specify that we're going to search our let's say, full name field, there it is and what we're going to search for is what's inside that Global field. So we'll come over to our quick find field, there it is right there, put it in there, and then we'll say Perform Find. So we're already seeing a couple of problems here, or maybe you're not, I'll point them out. First of all, we have to know what layout we're on so, you know, because we're specifying this CUSTOMERS name full so it's not quite as dynamic. We'd have to write, you know, some If statements here to change what field we're setting. Plus, if we want to search more than 1 field we either have to make a calculation that concatenates everything or put several Set Fields here with new requests in there. So, not quite as flexible, you know, as easy to use as a Quick Find feature, but you might find a use for this. So, that all works great, this all should work the same and then what we have to do, since we're going to change this a little bit, because we're going to put a go to field in here. I'm going to say: Go to Field and we'll go to our GLOBALS, go down to our quick find and you'll see why we're putting this in there, because we're going to change how our script trigger works. We're going to go in there and set the script trigger, we're going to take it off of OnObjectExit and make it OnObjectModify. We'll come down here and find the new quick find here and let's see how that works. So if we come in here and start typing you notice that as we're typing that it automatically does the find. We don't have to hit the Enter key, in fact I see one little problem here, I don't want it to highlight here so let's change that, let's go in here and turn off that Select entire contents and see how that works. So you can see I can go ahead and type and each time I'm typing it's filtering that list. So that's kind of nifty. I like that little feature and so you can use either one of these, just don't forget that we have two List Layouts, so you have to change them to be the same, running the same script, so we'll come in here and say: Set Script Trigger, change it to OnObjectModify, and then find our new one and then we're all set. We've got everything done here. So, decide which one you want, what kind of solution you're doing, but really you should know how to do both techniques so with any situation you're prepared with the right tools.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.