My favorite of the new script triggers in FileMaker 11 is OnObjectValidate. It allows you to interrupt the standard validation feature and substitute your own scripted logic. In fact, you don't even need traditional validation to make the script trigger work. What we're going to do is modify our Duplicate Validation - it's a feature we put in previously - to use a script trigger instead, so let's remind you about that feature we worked with previously. What we did was and we'll go ahead and add a customer here, we'll put in John Mark Osborne and then 2066 and what's going to happen as soon as we exit out of this it's going to notice that we have a duplicate and say this customer already exists. So we'll revert that record. It's going to get rid of it and delete it. Let's go into Manage, Database and track that down. And if we look at our Name First, Name Last, or Address one they all have the same Validation formula. We'll come in here and look at it. There it is right there. It has this lookup that looks up through a relationship and determines whether it's a duplicate or not. Either it finds something and looks it up and pulls it over or it doesn't and so there's a logic there and actually we're going to use this in our script so I'll copy it. But before we write our script let's look at this relationship right here. So we'll cancel out of that, go over to Relationships and from CUSTOMERS down to CUSTOMERS Dups, right there, double-click on the Relationship line, you can see it says: see if dup check equals dup check, but exclude the current record. We only want to look for records outside itself. So we need to know what dup check does but before we do that let's take a look at this relationship right here, a little bit different one, it's just dup check to dup check which sees both records. So this sees just the record that might be a duplicate outside the current one, this sees both of them. We're going to actually use both of them. So we'll come over here and look at dup check and you'll see it's a simple formula that concatenates name last, name first and the street number, just the first word of the address. So that's how we go ahead and check all that stuff and that's what it's doing on in the background. Now we want to replicate that in our script, so we'll go into Manage Scripts, create a New Script, call it Duplicate Trigger and the first thing we're going to do is an IF statement and in that IF statement we're going to do the same logic as we did in the Validation calculation but just change it slightly, make it not equals, make it work in reverse of what it was doing before and if that's true then we're going to show a Custom Dialog. We'll say: Customer Exists. This customer already exists! Would you like to view the duplicate customers - there we go, question mark. We'll say either Yes, or No. Click OK on that. If they say Yes then we're going to say: If get lastmessagechoice equals 1, if that's true we're going to say Go to Related Record. Actually we're going to choose this one because we want to include the current record in that Go to Related Record but as you see up here we didn't include it. We didn't want it to look for, we didn't want it to locate itself basically. And then we'll say: Go to CUSTOMERS Form and Show only related records, of course. Then what we're going to do is, since we'll be in Form View, let's run the script List View so we can switch to List View for them. That looks good. Perfect. So now we've got this all working, what if they choose No from the Show Custom Dialog up here? Well, we need to put an Else in and we're going to do some steps here, we're going to put in a Go to Object and we're also going to put in an Insert Calculated Result and this is a little peculiar but it has to do with this particular technique we're trying to work on here. The problem is, is that if we don't commit the record up here - and we'll put that in there now, move it up there at the top and then uncheck both these options - if we don't commit it right there, this will not locate the other record properly. It just won't work. It works different than the validation - we don't have to do this with the Validation Calculation because it's a different order of operations. This happens at a different point and so the relationship's not refreshed at this point for the script but it is for the Validation Calculation, so we need to commit the records. Problem is, once you commit the record then you're outside the field and, you know, because we said skip data entry, we don't have it selected anymore, if we go back to the object, or go back to the field, the problem is, is we're going to actually not have validation the next time we exit because we haven't modified it. We've committed and then come back to it. So what we need to do is say go to the object and insert the value back in there. So what we need are a couple of Set Variables. So we'll put the Set Variables up here. This is going to store our data. Dollar sign field and we're going to put: get activelayoutobjectname and then we're also going to go ahead and I probably spelled something wrong here. Yeah, there we go - objectname. OK, I think I got it that time. We're also going to set a value so we can store what value is in it because we're going to write over itself to make it initiate that validation again, you know, to make that field modified and what we're going to put in there is Get ActiveFieldContents. There we go. Click OK. And so we're going to say Go to Object dollar sign Field down here to get back into the field and then Insert Calculated Result we're going to say Insert dollar sign Value. So in order for all this to work - we're actually going to save this real quick because we're not quite done with it - in order for all this to work we're going to have to come in here into Layout Mode and name each one of those fields. So we're going to double-click on this one, Cancel it; we're automatically in here. Go to Position and name this, call it First Name. And we'll go down to last name and we'll call it Last Name, then we'll go to address and call it Address 1. There we go. And while we're here we might as well put the script trigger on here so we'll go into Format, Set Script Trigger, OnObjectValidate, go down to the bottom and find our script, and do the same for each one of these. And I'm going to use the keyboard command here, there we go, Duplicate Trigger and one last one to do, OnObjectValidate, all the way to the bottom here, OK, so now we have that all set up but we're not quite done with our script, so let's come in here. We'll uncheck it from here because we don't want to see it there and edit it.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.