Currently you can create as many letters as you want. You just can't save a letter template for future use. All you can do is come in here and change this letter to whatever you want and then print it. I'd like to have the ability to save letters and insert them so we're going to start off with the Save Letters Technique and to do that we're going to need a table to save those letters in so we're going to go to Manage Database, go to Tables, type in Letters, create it, go to Fields, we'll take two fields here, Name to identify the letter and the Letter Field to actually identify the letter, to put the letter in. So the name of the letter and the contents of the letter. Then we'll go to Relationships and we're going to move this in here and connect it up to Customers and go Name to whatever, double click on that line and then find the xname. There it is right there. We'll change it and very importantly we're going to put on Allow Creation of Records here. So what this is going to allow us to do is create a record using Set Field across the relationship. Now, previously we've used techniques of putting the value into a variable and creating the record and we could use that here but since we're also going to reuse this relationship for other techniques such as inserting, you might as well use the Relationship Method and push the data across the Set Field here. So you'll see how that works in a second here if you're not clear. So right now we need xname to Name and we need very importantly Allow Creation here; otherwise we can't create records with Set Field. We'll put this up somewhere here and rearrange it later and then we'll go into our script. We're going to create a new script here, call it Letter Save and we'll start off with our Allow User Abort followed by a Set Error Capture and then we're going to show a Custom Dialog. We're going to show a Custom Dialog and say Enter a Name. Enter a Name for your letter. And we'll leave the OK and the Cancel, sounds good but we need an input field here so come down and find xname and then type in Name colon here so it's clear. Now, before we show the Custom Dialog, we probably should put a Set Field initializing that value. So we'll come down and find Set Field. There it is. Woops, I cleared it out. We'll put it back in again, move it right up there just before that, locate xname, put in quote quote and now when we show the Custom Dialog, it'll be blank and then we're going to come after that with a Commit Records and the reason for this is we need to commit the relationship. We need to make sure that we have that relationship updated and this is one way to do it, to commit it so that we can check to see if xname matches any names over in the Letter Table already because we don't want to overwrite letters unless we know we really want to do that. So then we'll follow up with an if statement. We'll say Get Last Message Choice equals 1. That's if they clicked on OK. If that's true, then we're going to do everything that we want to do; otherwise we won't do anything. And what we're going to do when we first come in here is another if statement. We're going to say if, we're going to come over to Customers and look at xname. We're going to see does that equal something over in Letters? So we're going to go down to Letters. Through that relationship we're going to see does xname equal Name? That's how we're going to check this to make sure, to see if we have any existing letters with that same name already so we don't have, overwrite it without telling them and then we'll put it in a Show Custom Dialog that's true. We'll say Name Exists. This name already exists. Would you like to update this letter? There we go, we'll put a space in there. I'll put No as the default and Yes as the secondary choice just to be real safe here and then we'll put another if statement in here. If Get Last Message Choice equals 2, meaning they hit yes, then we're going to want to do our Set Field. That's our push technique. And let's see if we can find Set Field there. We're going to say set across that relationship to Letters. Set the Letter Field to xletter. Let's remind you a little bit about how this works. If FileMaker looks across the relationship, which is based on X Name, what you typed into this Custom Dialog, to Name and finds a related record that matches, what's going to happen is it's going to write that over that record, whatever you put in here, this xletter. If it doesn't find a match, in other words xname doesn't match a name, then it's going to make a new record. It's also going to put xname into Name and then it's finally going to do what you told it to do, which is put xletter into Letter. So that's a little refresher on how that push technique works. Now what we want to do here is put in an else statement here and then duplicate this and move it down there. The reason for this is what if they enter in a name that is not found over in Letters. Well, the we automatically want to go do the Set Field so it creates a record and makes a relationship and then puts xletter in there. Otherwise if they do match, it finds something. Then we want to go ahead and ask them do you want to overwrite it? So it's very important to notice if we have duplicated code here but it's so simple I'm not going to modularize it but you usually think about that when you're doing things. So this looks good. Let's try it out. We'll save it, uncheck it from, we'll go into Layout Mode and we'll click on this button right here. Actually I think I'll click it over here because we're going to have some other buttons in here. So go to Button Setup, Perform Script, come down to the end, Letter Save, click OK. We'll say Save Letter, go to Browse Mode and let's try it out. We have a letter in here. Let's hit Save Letter. It asks us for the name. We'll call it My Letter, click OK, create a new window here, switch over to, I'll go into Layout Mode with the keyboard command, switch to our last layout, which is going to be our Letters, go into Browse Mode and let's see what we have. We have My Letter and it's all in there so that's great. What happens if we go ahead and try to change this to at MacWorld and then save it again. Let's call it My Letter 2. Click OK. Look at this layout. We have two records now; My Letter and My Letter 2 with the appropriate information. So that's great. That's working. What happens if we go ahead and change this to Whatever, then try to save it and type in My Letter 2 again. Now, case isn't important here but I like to be safe that way. We'll click OK. Comes up, says the name already exists. Well, let's hit Yes and see what happens. Go over here, look at My Letter 2 and you can see it says Whatever; it's overwritten that. There's only two records still. So looks like all these features are working great so now I have the ability to save this letter. What we're going to do next is use that same relationship to enable people to insert a letter that they've already saved.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.