With the basic interface for the custom form letters complete, we're ready to create the Print Layout. We can't print from the Global xletter Field that you see here. That's just a template. It's the same on every record. What we need to do is transform this information from this Global Field and fill in the merge data from each record in the found set into this and store that in a regular field. But before we create a script that will actually transform that data for us, we need to create the Print Layout, a specialized layout just for printing. So we're going to go into Layout Mode, we're going to create a new layout, going to call it Customers underscore Print underscore Merge. We're going to make it a blank layout and we're going to base it on Customers because we want to make sure that it's based on the same table occurrence as our Customers Form or Customers List, the interface layout that you see back here that allows us to do the data entry and that's so we can take the found set from our find and our Customers Form or Customers List over to the interface and then over to the Print Layout, so we print the same customers that we found from the original place we started. So we'll do a blank layout here and then we're going to come in and we're going to remove the header and the footer. It's not that you can't have a header and a footer. You certainly can but I want to distill this down to the basics and you can add all this stuff in once you really understand how this technique works. Then we're going to come up here and show the Graphic Rulers so you can see how long a layout is. We're going to show you that a layout is 111 inches long but to prove that to you, what we're first going to do is show you how the measurements work on these rulers. You can change them right here if you want or you can come in the Inspector and change them right here. We're going to leave it on inches, or if you want centimeters, it's up to you. Then we're going to drag the body part down here and you can see that over on the right the little elevator on the scrollbar is moving down and it's coming to an end and you can see over here, if you can see these numbers, it's going to stop right about 111 inches. So we're going to let go of the body part there. Then we're going to double click on it and we're going to page break after every one occurrence. The reason we're going to do that is because what if we have a hundred one and a half-page letters to print out. You know, a hundred customers and the letter is one and a half pages. If we don't page break after every customer, or after every body part, which equals one record, then what's going to happen is we're going to get the top of the second letter at the bottom of the second page of the first letter. If we page break it, then we'll get each letter starting on a fresh page so that's perfect. So we'll scroll back up to the top here and what we want to do now is show our page margins. There we go. Now, these page margins, they come from our printer so depending on what kind of printer, you may have different margins here. But I really want them to be consistent. I want them to handle any kind of printer in case somebody has an Inkjet printer or somebody else has a laser printer or even maybe you were making a solution, you know, developed in the United State but might be used in Australia. Well, the A4 letter size. We want to make sure that we can accommodate this letter so it doesn't get cut off, so it works on just about every situation. So we're going to go to Layout Setup, go to Printing and we're going to use Fixed Page Margins of a half an inch all the way around. So that works really good and we're going to go back into Browse Mode here and you won't see the margins here but when we go into Layout Mode, you will see that you have your new margins here; half an inch all the way around and again, this'll accommodate most printing scenarios. You really have to test it out yourself to see what works for you though. Then we're going to throw on our field here. So we're going to drag our field over here, going to go find our Letter Field. Remember, not xletter and we're going to make sure we choose the right font. Verdana's not really for printing so we're going to come down here or go up and find Times New Roman. That's a good one. Twelve-point sounds good. Move it up here into the corner. Then move it all the way over here and then rather than dragging it all the way down, it's a little bit faster to come in here and simply type in 110 inches on the height. There we go. Get rid of that, go all the way to the bottom. We can drag it down the rest of the distance. There we go and it's very important to fill up this whole body part because we're going to use sliding objects here so you want to select all your objects. You only really have one here so once we select it we're going to go to our, our Sliding Objects, which is in the Inspector and let's go ahead into Appearance and I guess it's in Position. There's Sliding Invisibility. We'll do that and you can see we're going to do sliding up based on all objects above, only objects directly above or for columns and also resize and close in part. That'll make sure the resize in closing part will make sure the body part moves when that field is reduced because most likely we're not going to have every single one of our letters be at 111 inches long. So we're going to have to move that. If we don't turn on the also resize in closing part, the body part will stay there and we'll have a bunch of blank pages. So that's all we need there. So we're basically done with this whole layout. That's all we need. Now in the next section what we're going to do is write a script that will transform that template in that Global Field into letters for everybody with that merge data from each record being unique.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.