Welcome to Web Packaging Part 2. In Part 1, we kind of did a chalk talk and went through some slides about what Web Packaging is, what it accomplishes, what we're talking about here is Web Packaging using a web application. Now what we're going to do here is I just want to show you some of the mechanics that you'll go through, I'm not going to do a full deployment, yours can be different in a lot of different ways, so you may want to try this on your own machine, in your environment but just kind of watch through and get the basics of this. What I'm really trying to get you to here is comfort for the exam to be able to answer a couple of questions that are going to pop up. What we're going to do is, create a new project and notice we're going to create a Visual C# ASP.NET web application and I'll just take the default name here, web application 8 and I will say OK. And this is going to open just your basic web application and I'm not going to do anything to it. This is going to give me a web application that looks something like this. Very useful web application, wouldn't you say? And what we're going to talk about now is deploying it. Now notice right now we're in Debug Mode, I could put it in Release Mode to deploy it and that's probably what I would do, but for now we'll just leave it there. What I want you to see is, to deploy this application, what I want to do is come over to the project name in the Solution Explorer, right-click it and notice I've got Publish and Package Publish Settings. I'm going to left-click on Package Publish Settings and it's going to give me this little window that I'm going to use and notice it's automatically going to start me on the Package Publish Web Tab and notice I can choose which configuration, I can do Release, I can do any CPU, it'll give me choices there if I have them and then notice, I can click right here to learn more about Package Publish Web. I would strongly recommend you read all of that before you go take the exam. Now notice the items to deploy, only the items needed to run this application, all files in this project, all files in this project folder, I can choose there. Notice I can excluded generated debug symbols, I can exclude files from the app data folder, whatever I would like. Now be careful with this because you could have base classes out there and stuff. Now items to deploy, now notice, include all databases configured in the SQL Tab. And I'll show you something about that in just a moment and then notice right down here, we're going to create the deployment as a Zip file, it's going to be called web application zip and then the, the IIS website application name to use on the destination server, I can set that right here and a lot of other things, password used to encrypt, Secure IIS Settings. Now here's the big Tab, Package Publish SQL. We're going to talk about some of this in a separate video but notice if I have databases out here, I would see these and I could choose it and notice this is telling you right up here for every database, create an entry in the grid below and then set properties for that entry. Now I can click to import my connection strings from the Web.Config or I can click Add here and do that manually. So I can just add my databases in here and notice down here, the destination database information, I need a connection string for the destination server, where this database is going to reside and we'll come back to that later. And you can go on down through here and set all kind of things. Once we've got that done, we can close that, we can come back right over here again and now we can choose Publish. Now notice I can set this up as a profile and I can choose my method, Web Deploy, FTP File System, FPSE is Front Page Server Extensions, we'll leave it on Web Deploy and notice I can put service URL and I'll just put local host here because I want this thing to kind of build and this is for wherever I'm going. Site application, whatever I want to put here and I can, you know, put whatever I want, I'll just put test.VTC. Alright. And then I can mark it as an IIS application on the destination and then I can allow untrusted certificates if we've generated our own certificates and that sort of thing. And then I can just click Publish. Now this is going to click and hum and it's going to ask me for passwords and stuff and so I'll just Cancel that. But now I want you to notice something that up here I have a Publish Profile up here. That created a profile and I can click New again and it'll take me right back in here but notice that profile, I can tell it right here to publish profile 1 and if I had enough room on here to see this, let me pull this down, now you can see it. Notice Publish, there is Publish Web and then here is, I can Edit my profiles on this one but if I go in and make a change and I just need to publish right quick, I can come up here and just hit that and it's going to publish it again for me. Okay. So there's some really neat functionality, a lot of tools in Visual Studio 2010 but when it comes to deploying these web pages, there's a lot of things you need to do, a lot of things that can happen, a lot of error messages you can see. You'll probably have to run through it a time or two, but there's some really slick functionality here and this is by far the best development scenario we've seen in Visual Studio by a long shot. Now a lot of people may use third party applications, they're very popular but Visual Studio 2010's really stepping up to the plate here. So anyway, that's Web Packaging, there's a lot of information that I've given you here. It's enough to really get you started, read through all this stuff before you go sit the exam but make sure that you understand, this is going to give you a Zip file that you can send to someone. They can then go through some scripts and so forth to install it on their machine and they're getting everything. Databases, IIS Settings, everything that they need to run your web application.
|Course:||Designing and Developing ASP.NET 4 Web Apps (Exam 70-519)|
|Duration:||8.5 hrs / 108 lessons|
|Captions:||Available on CD and Online University|
WIN XP SP3, OS X 6+, Android 4, iOS 4, Linux
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.