In this two part video, I want to talk to you about Web Packaging. Now Web Packaging is the process of actually taking all of our code in a web application note the word application and actually deploying that to another server. Now Web Packaging is something that's new in the Visual Studio 2010 ASP.NET 4 world and so this is going to be a likely target on the exam. And what I want you to get about Web Packaging is not necessarily be an expert at coding it but for the purposes of the exam, what I want to give you here is, what you need to watch for, when you want to use this, what it's going to give you and kind of clue you in on some of the intricacies of the questions to where you see certain scenarios, you'll know okay, they're talking about a situation where I need to use Web Packaging there. Okay. Because the first instance you see on the screen here, deploying a web project with all the required dependencies is not a trivial task. When we're talking about a web application, over time, we've got a lot of different things in there that's going to have to go out. We've got our web content which is our ASPX pages, our ASCX pages, images, XML files, it just keeps going and going and we need to make sure that all of that gets to the right place on the web server. Then we have our IIS or Internet Information Server or Internet Information Services Settings. These all need to be set on the web server and that can be things like Application Pools and all that. And then databases, if we have unique databases that we have built for this particular web application and we may have even prepopulated some of those databases with data, then those need to go to the web server as well. And there's a separate movie in the course here called Database Deployment where I'm going to explain to you what's going on under the hood so that you will understand how to troubleshoot it and how to answer questions that could show up on the exam about the Database Deployment aspect of delivering a web package out to a web server. And then you have your GAC Assemblies or your Global Application Cache Assemblies. These things have to be out there, they have to be loaded in the GAC or you can't share the assemblies out and you can't access them the way you need to. And then what about security certificates? If I have installed security certificates for use on my website, those need to be deployed and then I've already mentioned Application Pools. If I'm using an Application Pool, need to make sure that's happening. Now the enterprise environments that you normally work in when you're talking about Web Packaging or web applications further complicate the process of deploying a Web Package because a web application generally in a large environment doesn't just go from one developers desk straight out to the production server. It's going to go through various people, it might go to some more developers or to a senior level developer, to analyst. It may go to some people for testing, it may go through the database administrator world to make sure that all of our database stuff is correct. And so we need an easy way to take a complicated web application, package it up and move it over to another web server and your final web server is probably in a large environment going to be a farm and that means that we're going to have to do identical deployment of our web application in multiple locations or on each one of the farms servers. So Web Packaging is going to take care of that. Now I've given you a lot of design issues already, anytime we're working first of all with a web application and we need to move that application to multiple places and have it identical. We want it to be easy, we want it deploy the database along with it, we need to configure IIS at the same time, all of these things become requirements that on the exam are going to point to hey wait a minute, they need to be using Web Packaging and so look for that aspect in the correct answer. Now Visual Studio 2010 introduces the Web Package, I've already mentioned that. It does simplify the process and like, like most things when we're talking about simplifying the process, you're probably going to have to work through it a time or too in code to get really comfortable with it. Now here's the main thing you need to take from this particular video or this particular movie. Web Packaging works with web applications only and I will show you that in Part 2 when we get, get out into the Visual Web Developer environment but Web Packaging works with web applications. Now what's really neat about this is once I've set it up and run it, the process can be run over and over and over from a Toolbar button, now how great is that? So once I get it going, I'm just going to press one button and kick it out to somebody so when someone says, hey you need to change this, I change it, boom, hit the button, I can throw it right out to them, the entire project again. Now in Part 2, I'm going to actually open Visual Web Developer, kind of show you some scenario stuff here, I'm not going to do a total development, but I'm going to give you enough to see what's going on with it and, and again help prepare you to answer the questions on the exam. Okay. So join me in Part 2 and we'll look at this from the perspective of the Visual Web Developer. But Web Packaging is really neat, it's a great new improvement in deploying our web application. Again if I were to bet you, I would say you're probably going to see something about this on that exam.
|Course:||Designing and Developing ASP.NET 4 Web Apps (Exam 70-519)|
|Duration:||8.5 hrs / 108 lessons|
Vista/XP/2000, OS X, Linux
QuickTime 7, Flash 8
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.