Welcome to part 2 of Themes Example and with this Themes Example I'm just going to continue right where we dropped off when we ended part 1 and in part 2 here we're going to build on this theme that we had in part 1. If you remember in part 1 we created a Theme, did a little bit of gyrations out in the Web.Config file to pick that up and apply it to the whole site and in this one, let's make a new Theme. So I'm going to right-click on App Themes here and I'm going to add a new ASP.NET folder, notice I only get one choice Theme and there it is. There is Theme 2. I'm going to rename Theme 2 and I'm just going to call it black alright? And then I am going to copy this Site CSS and then I'm going to paste it into black. Okay. And I don't care if it's just called CSS because it doesn't matter if they're both same, really you should change these names to black, basic CSS, black CSS whatever you want to do. But anyway what I want to do is, open this Cascading Style Sheet file, double-click it and notice it's, I've got the black folder Site CSS open and on background right here, I'm just going to change this and I'll show you how you can see this, Intellisense will kick in. If I re-input that particular semi, colon there it will tell me what I can put and I am going to, actually I'm want to do this better than this. Okay. Put this here and then I will just type black, just like that, pretty straightforward. Now if I run this, notice that we're still pointing, just like we did back in 1, I'm not going to see anything different about black. Okay. Because we're not looking at that. In my Cascading Style Sheet I told it to set the Body Background to black. Alright. So why didn't I see it? Well if you remember out in the Web.Config file, we're pointing to Theme 1 so all I have to do is, change that to black. Alright. Pretty straightforward. Right. Now look at the magic that happens. So we run it this time, we change it here, run without debugging and just like that I now have notice, black background here on the body. Pretty cool stuff. Right. Now all I need to do at this point is to go out here, open this particular Site CSS and just start playing with anything that I want to to see what's going to happen and what's it going to do and what's going to change in my site. And notice you can see all kind of things out here, that could go change if I would like to. Alright and everything's just going to be kind of a hack and play and, and see whatever I want to do with it. So that's the way to change or to set up multiple Themes and very easily get to those Themes. If you remember, we used the Style Sheet Command so I even picked that up in Design here. Now one thing that you might see from time to time when you're working with CSS, sometimes your browser will Cache those results and so you'll go open your browser and it doesn't pick up any changes, then you need to use the Control F5 or, or however, but basically you need to tell the browser to totally reload or you need to go clear the Cache on it, depending on the type browser you're using. But sometimes it'll Cache them and it'll kind of confuse them up a little bit. Now, now before I leave you in this video, I want to give you one little added bonus here. If you're not familiar with this CSS and what it can do, I want to show you a website. Now if you'll go to a website and, and if you want to learn CSS, this will give you a little motivation. If you go to CSSzengarden, zengarden. Okay. .com, I want you to notice this is a website, now notice the Zen Garden. This is a demonstration of what can be accomplished visually through CSS based design and then you have these sections, the road to enlightenment and notice littering a dark and dreary road, lay the past relics of browser specific Tags blah, blah, blah. So what is this about? Then you have participation, benefits, requirements. Just remember that I shown you those. Okay. Now if I go to Firefox and the Web Developer and look at the View Source or the Page Source, you'll notice here's my head and then here's my div Tags and there's Page Header, Quick Summary, Preamble, there's explanation, participation, benefits, but you see the structure of this and you see all my H Refs and my Link List that was on the left side and then my footer down here. So notice what it was on the right side, here's my Link List. Now I want to watch what happens. I'm going to go choose Orchid Beauty. The only thing that's changed in this website is the CSS, pretty cool right and the graphics. They got some different graphics files available but notice if I go out to Web Developer and look at the Page Source, the Page Source didn't change. Alright. The Structure, the HTML Markup didn't change. However some of the CSS Links did change. Okay. So here's a Text CSS out here and there's some icons that have changed. Alright. Now, oop, I closed it out. Let me go back, I want to show you one thing here. CSS Zen Garden, the results can be pretty dramatic on these. Alright. Notice here's Make 'em Proud and you see that the links are moving around, here's one called CSS Company Limited and you see what that one looks like and then there's Kyoto Forest, you can see what it looks like and so just kind of keeps going. They've got 100s of designs on here and you can even use some of these designs if you would like. Here's Tiny Blue and so you can see what's happening. So there's a lot of power in CSS and when you combine CSS, Skins and all that in these Themes, you can very, very quickly change your website to do some really, really neat things and some refreshing looks for your end-users.
|Course:||Designing and Developing ASP.NET 4 Web Apps (Exam 70-519)|
|Duration:||8.5 hrs / 108 lessons|
|Captions:||Available on CD and Online University|
WIN XP SP3, OS X 6+, Android 4, iOS 4, Linux
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.