Welcome to the Themes Example video and this is going to be Part 1, no doubt this will end up being a two parter by the time you watch me hack through some of this code but I just want to create a very basic Themes Example and I want to show you how to set up your own Theme, then in Part 2, we'll set a different Theme up and switch between them. Okay. I'm going to open just new website in Visual Web Developer and click down here and I will just call this Theme Example and there'll be a copy of this one out in your Work Files and it'll be similar to this and it'll kind of show you how it's set up. The best way to do this would be to follow along with me. Now first of all let's notice a couple of things. If I go out into Solution Explorer and open up Site Master, you will notice that I've got a link to my Site.CSS file and I'm going to pin my Solution Explorer up and you will notice that under the Styles folder I have a Site.CSS. Well you'll notice I don't have the app Themes folder that I mentioned when I talked about things using the Powerpoint slides, so, let's talk about setting up a Theme here. And notice here's Site.CSS, I don't have any skins, no real imaging going on here. So to set up a Theme here, the first thing I want to do is remove the link to the Site.CSS file. Okay. So I'm just going to highlight that in the Site Master and remove it. Now if I run this and I go look at this page, run it without debugging so I don't have that hassle here. Notice that it's not going to quite look like it did. Alright. I've lost all my Cascading Style Sheet formatting on it and you've seen this one page run a couple of hundred times in the course so far. So here's what we're going to do, we're going to first create the Apps Theme folder, I'll right-click on my Project Name and I will add an ASP.NET folder and notice there it is, Theme and when I choose that, notice it added Apps Theme and it called it Theme 1 and I'm going to leave it at Theme 1 and just click anywhere and there it is. Now I'm going to take my site's CSS, drag it up into Theme 1 and let it go. There it is okay? Now what I need to do here is to go make a change, if I run this now it's still not going to work because it doesn't know to use this. So what I'm going to do is go out into the Web.Config file and I will go down to that System.Web and you'll see right here this is the end of System.Web. Okay. And I'm just going to put the, notice the Pages Setting here, whoop I hit my mouse, I'll just double-click that and anyway, I'll just Pages in. Okay. Now all I need to do here is set the Theme, notice there's Theme equal to and it puts in my quotes there for me, Theme 1. And now if I go run this, we should see our Theme. And boom there it is, our Theme is back. Now what's interesting is, I'm going to show you something here, if I go into the and I'm in Firefox so I'll go to the Main Menu up here to Web Developer and I want to view the Page Source, you will notice that it's showing me up here the script, the source and here's a Theme example, web resource and so it's going to set some of this stuff and notice here's my link, that's what I was really looking for here. The site CSS Style Sheets, so it's telling it to look in the App underscore Themes, Theme 1's a subfolder in Site CSS. Alright. Now if I go look out in my Master File, Site Master, you'll notice I don't have anything about CSS or Themes or anything out here. Now if I go into the CSS, I'm going to double-click the CSS, you're going to notice this is your Cascading Style Sheet and we'll come back in here in just a few minutes in Part 2 and change some of this. But this is what's actually doing the markup formatting that you're actually seeing out there in the browser. So this is your Cascading Style Sheet your .CSS Sheet. Now we could also put .Skin files out here to add skin changes to the colors of certain controls and that sort of thing but for now let's, let's stop here, we'll stop Part 1 here, come back, join me in part 2 of the Themes Example video and we will go create a second theme and switch back and forth between them. But before I do that, let me show you one more thing that's kind of interesting here. I'm going to go back out and open Default ASPX. If I look at that in Design Mode, you'll notice that I've lost my formatting here, my Style Sheet formatting here, I've lost the CSS. Now what's up with that? Let me show you the fix on that. Go back out to Web.Config and down here where I made this Theme, I want to change this to Style Sheet Theme. Alright. Now once I do that, I'll have to rebuild my site, so I'm just going to build the website over again without running it and now notice I succeeded, so if I go to back Default, now I've got my formatting back. So once you this Theme route in the Web.Config file you'll have to put the Theme to Style Sheet Theme right here. Point to the Theme you want to use to be able to see that particular Theme out there in this Design looking environment in Visual Web Developer or Visual Studio. Okay. So anyway join me in part 2 and we'll add a second Theme and switch back and forth.
|Course:||Designing and Developing ASP.NET 4 Web Apps (Exam 70-519)|
|Duration:||8.5 hrs / 108 lessons|
|Captions:||Available on CD and Online University|
WIN XP SP3, OS X 6+, Android 4, iOS 4, Linux
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.