Auto-Start Configuration is really actually kind of a continuation of the idea that we started in a video entitled Auto-Start Web Apps. In that video we talked about Auto-Start Web Apps are, how to turn this on and then the, the fact that it's off by default, you have to actually enable this and what I want to talk about here in this video is some aspects of configuration for Auto-Start that you need to be aware of for this exam specifically. Now any time you want to do this in the real world, you're going to go out there and read up on it and I would strongly recommend that you read up on this and maybe even play with it a little bit before you go take the exam. Auto-Start Configuration is another one of those things, since it's new in ASP.NET 4 and since it can make some significant changes in performance on the web server, it's, you're likely going to see some questions in some form on the exam. So here's the big thing you got to watch for. The system requirements for Auto-Start, your server, your web server must be running IIS, Internet Information Services or Internet Information Server, whichever you want to call it, version 7.5. It must be running on Windows Server 2008 release 2. So just make sure that those two things are there, on the exam make sure those are specified. If they're running IIS 7.0, 6.0, anything else, then you can't do Auto-Start. Alright. You also have to have Server 2008 R2, you can't be running Windows Server 2000, anything like that. Now originally Auto-Start required a lot of custom code to be provided to perform Auto-Start actions. Now Microsoft has now released the Application Warm-Up Module that makes this even easier, even faster. Don't let this confuse you. You will see people kind of confuse the terms Warm-Up and Auto-Start and I use them interchangeably out there. They really mean the same thing, Warm-Up is just an easier configuration way of getting to Auto-Start. Now to actually enable Auto-Start you're going to have to go out and make an adjustment, notice this Config file here. The applicationHost.Config file. Now in, in a separate part of the course I talked about Configuration files and we talked about the Machine.Config file and the Web.Config file. 99 percent of the time, you'll make your changes that you need to make in those two. This is one of those somewhat rare exceptions depending on how advanced you are, what kind of functionality you're trying to stretch out of your server. You could end up out in some of these other Config files more often, 99 percent of the people out there, doing web work on IIS probably aren't going to be in these other Config files a whole lot. But for this instance, make sure you burn that into your brain, applicationHost.Config file. Now notice the IIS Admin is going to go in and set an Application Pool to be automatically started and the way you're going to do that is in the Application Pool's Tag in this applicationHost.Config file, you're going to add the Application Pools and you're going to add the name My Application Pool, this is the name of the Application Pool that was created when this website was created in IIS. Your IIS administrator will be able to answer that question for you, assuming that's not you and here is what will actually kick it off, the part in red here. I put it in red here so you could see it and notice it and remember it, burn it into your brain. StartMode equals Always Running. This tells it that this particular Application Pool should always be running. If it stops, I want you to restart it for me as soon as you can. Start it automatically. We don't want to wait for that first user to make an HTTP request, it's just this simple. If you see this applications not running, make it run, it should always be running. A single Application Pool can contain multiple web applications. Alright. So keep in mind and watch this on the exam, individual web applications can be specified for an Auto-Start, we don't have to start the whole entire Application Pool. Notice how we can do that. Again, we can set in the Sites Section of that Config file, notice we can put the Site name, Mysite and an ID number, I won't go into all this, you can go do some reading and discussing on that, on your own. But notice we're going to set an Application Path and the service Auto-Start Enabled Attribute is going to be set to true. The service Auto-Start Provider, we will put it out there, notice Pre-Warm my Cache, then we can put additional content if we need to. But here's what I want you to take from this, don't worry about all this mish mash here. Just understand you can set an individual web application within a larger web Application Pool and have just that site be Auto-Start, not all the other sites in that Application Pool. That's most likely the kind of question you're going to get on the exam. So Auto-Start generally we think of it as working on an entire Application Pool, which is a Pool of memory that serves and manages a number of applications. A lot of times out there in the real world, you'll see that one to one relationship between the sites and the applications. Doesn't have to be that way, you can set this for individual sites within an Application Pool. Now strongly, strongly encourage you to go out there, read up, play with setting these Configurations, get out there and hack around that Web.Config file and in that Application.Config file and just get very comfortable with this because again, you're most likely to see questions that refer to this as part of the answer, part of the possible answers on this exam.
|Course:||Designing and Developing ASP.NET 4 Web Apps (Exam 70-519)|
|Duration:||8.5 hrs / 108 lessons|
|Captions:||Available on CD and Online University|
WIN XP SP3, OS X 6+, Android 4, iOS 4, Linux
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.