In this movie we're going to talk about Previewing and Exporting the report. Well, we've now taken our Employee Table Report, which is what I'd like to call a simple list report, laid it out on the screen that we need to see it, and placed the Headers where we need them to be and put the Order that we need to see. Now the next logical step is, now that we've done everything we can, is to share that information. Now, previewing you pretty much already have. Every time you click on the Preview tab you get a what-you-see-is-what-you-get type of format. What we're going to do is, we're going to export it into some sample formats for you. Go ahead and take your mouse and click on the Export Icon, which is the envelope with the down-pointing arrow. Go ahead and click on that. This brings up our Export Window. From here we have to choose a Format and a Destination. What's handy about Crystal Reports XI is it now gives a nice little description of the type of format that you choose. Like, for example PDF. Crystal gives a nice little description of what that format is. Destination is also important. You could go ahead and click down on the Destination. You can choose to send this to an Application, an Exchange Folder, Lotus Domino, Lotus Mail, and Mapping. These are all choices that we picked on install. In this case we're going to leave it as a Disk File. Disk File just simply refers to a location on your hard drive or network. Go ahead and press OK. And based on the options you choose you have some more options that you can specify. In the case of PDF your ranges are All, or you can say Page Range, give me Page 1 to 1, or 1 to 10, or 1 to 3, depending on how many pages you actually have. These pages will mirror the pages that you see in the Preview of your Crystal Report. You can also create Bookmarks from a Group Tree, but we'll get into that a little bit later. For now, let's press All and press OK. The last window that you're going to see is what file name you want this PDF to have, and where you want it to go. You can Browse and choose hmm, Desktop, and I'm going to call it Report1 PDF. I don't have to put the extension. pdf because it'll do it for me. Go ahead and press Save. Depending on how large the report is you might get a window telling you the progress of how many records it's exported. If I minimize my Crystal Report and go to my Desktop I now have a PDF that I can open with Acrobat Reader, or Photoshop or any program that can make sense of a. pdf file. If I go back to my Crystal Reports let's try another format. This time something pretty common, Excel. Notice all the options that come with your Export. These, again, are set up when you install Crystal Reports XI. Your needs may be different but they come with pretty much under the sun. In the case of Excel you have two versions. You have a Microsoft 97 through 2000 XLS and the same thing but Data Only. For our purposes let's go ahead and choose Data Only and again we're going to choose the same Disk File and press OK. From here you have some Excel format options, which are different from your PDF options. You can choose your Excel Format, your Typical, your Minimal, or your Custom. If you're going to go custom you want to click on your Options button and this expands the window and gives you all the options available to you. You can choose your column width based in the objects on the Detail section, the Report Header, the Page Header, the Footer. If you have Group sections they'll also appear as options to choose from as well. You can also specify Constant Column Width in points in Excel. In our case we're going to leave it there. You can also choose to Export your object formatting or any images you may have. The Use Worksheet Function for Summary can be kind of tricky depending on how complicated your summaries are. Sometimes the translation from Crystal to Excel isn't the best, although in Crystal XI they have pretty much taken care of almost every summary function and it translates very well to Excel. You can also choose to Maintain relative object position, meaning you're trying to get your report to look exactly as it looks on your screen. The problem here is Excel is kind of cell-based, so Crystal needs to find where everything needs to go in its cell. If you are going to use Crystal Reports to Excel one word of advice: I would highly suggest that you spend a lot of time in your Detail and Layout section making sure everything is lined up perfectly nice. That way when you do export it fits into that perfect column and row cell structure that Excel loves so much. In this case let's go ahead and press OK. Like in the case of the PDF you have to choose where you want your report to go and what to name it of course. In this case I'm going to call it Report1 Excel, and I'm going to Save. Based on how much data you have you may get a window that pops up and tells you the progress of how many records it's exported. For Excel, prior to Excel 2007, the limit on number of rows and i.e., records of data that you may export are 65,000 or so. Even though Excel 2007 allows you to export potentially, theoretically billions of rows of data I do not recommend it. Let's go ahead and take a peek at our Excel File. One thing you want to notice is what Excel does. Notice there's not a whole lot of fancy formatting with the Data Only version that we've chosen and it lined it up fairly nice for us. The cleaner your format is the cleaner it is to export to Excel. Notice how I'd have to resize these so I could see the entire contents of each of the cells. Well, that pretty much sums it up for basic exporting and previewing. In following lessons we get into the in-depth ins and outs of how to make sure that your export does exactly what you want it to.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.