I'd like to give you just some basic information about IP version 6 to kind of guide you as to what to look forward to with IP version 6, and to get you ready to answer just some of the very simple basic kind of foundational questions that you could see on the Network+ exam. So first of all, I've already talked about it in another video in this course, but IP version 6 gives us a much larger address space, and the new address space consists of eight sets of sixteen bit hexadecimal values, and these are separated by colons. Now our old IP version 4, of course, was four octets, or four sets of eight bit values, and these were separated by periods, and this is separated by colons, each one is sixteen bits, and there's eight of them. And this is what an IP version 6 IP address looks like. Notice, a lot different from the old 192 168 3 dot whatever. This, as you can tell, is going to force us into an environment of dealing more and more on DNS for our name resolution, because while I can remember 192 168 3.15 long enough to walk down the hall and do troubleshooting, or to move from one utility to another, I cannot remember 3FFE 1900 4545 3200:F8FF: blah blah blah. You see this is not going to be a workable solution for that way. Now what's interesting about IP version 6, is that it uses 64 bits for network ID, and 64 bits for the host ID, and we're talking about Unicast or what you would just call regular old IP communication, not multi cast, or any of that kind of stuff. So with 64 bits for the network IDs, we can have a lot of networks, and 64 bits for the host, we can have a whole lot of hosts. Now we have a better header format than IP version 4, because one of the things we have, one of the luxury's we have for re-designing IP, at this point in time, is to correct some of the things that happened with IP version 4. If you think back to what the world was like when IP version 4 was created, it was an entirely different universe at that time. Security really wasn't built in, routers were not that bigger deal that they are now, and so they've designed IP version 6, kind of out of the box if you will, to be much more efficient for routing. To have better formats on the headers and packets and so forth, it is also easily extensible, and this will allow the packets to be very easily changed and extended to adapt to emerging technologies. So we can add some more functionalities to the IP version 6 packets. Now it also, this is a very interesting one, it gives us resource allocation support built into the Protocol. Now what that means is, is the source can request special handling of it's packets. In other words, if I'm going to send out some information, and it's going to be streaming video, I can put in my first packet to the destination, hey by the way, I want to set up special handling on these packets, to make sure that you get them all properly, and the application works. Now what you should do is, think automated Quality of Service. So if you've watched the Quality of Service video in this course, you know what I'm talking about, or you may have already known about Quality of Service. IP version 6 is going to give us very similar functionality, just out of the box. IP version 6 has security features built in. Again IP version 4 didn't. We came from a different world, and with IP version 6 of course, we've changed our thinking, and we have a lot of security features built in, I won't go into them here. Here's the big question. When will I start using IP version 6? Well the easy answer is, as soon as you want to. The whole of Microsoft's operating systems now support it, the server operating systems do, Windows 7 does, you just have to go out there, and begin to use it. As of April 2010, IP version 6 utilization on the Internet was somewhere around five percent. Now that's not a big number, but we're starting to approach those percentages at five percent, to where you can see that this thing is started to get traction, it's starting to be used, and you will see the rate of growth now, get larger and larger exponentially every time it's measured. So the bottom line on IP version 6 is, should be you using it now? Well, it depends. In a lot of instances, you have to convert between 4 and 6, but here's what you should do. Not just for this Network+ exam, but you should be reading up on IP version 6, kind of get your hands on it, and let me warn you about something here. IP version 6 is still in development, and there are still some things that change slightly about it OK? So we're still going through that whole process, but it would really help your career from a networking standpoint, to go ahead and familiarize yourself with IP version 6, and just kind of start to read up on it, and start to understand some of the nuances. There's a lot of them, I haven't even scratched the surface in this short video, but that's just some very basics on IP version 6.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.