Carrara is an extremely robust 3D application. It's go very good modelers and multiple modelers to help assist you in creating whatever it is you imagine and create animations or still renderings with it. But in addition to having those great modeling tools, Carrara also has the ability to import a wide Array of existing 3D objects; things that are available for free on the web. Sometimes you pay for them through services like Turbo Squid or DAZ has its own store where you can buy objects and bring them in. Let me show you how you do that so you can get even more utility out of this outstanding program. I've got a basic scene set up here and you'll need access to the Carrara 7.1 working files that are included with this to get this object that we're going to be importing but it's really drop-down easy. You just go to File, Import, navigate to where the file is and in this case we're going to select Oil Rig and choose Open. Depending on the model format, maybe I should go back. Let me go back and cancel that. We'll come down to Import one more time. Take a look at all the different formats that you can import. As a matter of fact, they kind of go off the screen here. Let's see if I can bring that up a little bit so they're easier to see. It imports all the standard formats; 3D Studio, 3DMF, which is a very common one. Bio-Vision, which is actually motion files for creating animations; of course DAZ products. There's other basic formats like DXF, FilMBOX for different types of animation and just a whole list of them. I'm not going to go through them all. Enough said that Carrara does a ton of stuff. The most common ones out there to import are Wavefront obj files, LightWave files, which are .lwo files and the 3D Studio, which is 3ds files. Those would be kind of the interchange formats as well as some of the others that you see there. So I'm going to go ahead and bring down my open window again. We'll choose Oil Rig one more time and open it up. There is a problem when you import items into Carrara from any other 3D application and you're seeing evidence of that right here. We're importing a massive oil rig, the kind that sits out in the ocean and it's this teeny, tiny, little thing in the middle of the scene. Scale is not exact from 3D program to 3D program. There is no standard import format right now outside of Colada, which is starting to do that, where sizes mean the same thing to each program. So expect when you import items into Carrara that the scale may be wrong. In fact, some of the older Carrara content doesn't scale correctly to the scene. So to make this larger, here's a case where we need to touch on something we learned in the earlier sections, Section 2 specifically, on working with some objects and the best methods. Oil Rig is all contained in a single group. We saw how to make a group in our last object or last movie when we were working with Pancakes. The risk we've got is that it comes in completely disclosed. I can see all the separate elements that make up this oil rig and if I want to make the whole oil rig larger, I'll need to collapse all these so that Carrara thinks about it as a single object. I'll click once on that. It's selected now. I'll use the keyboard shortcut S for Scale instead of grabbing the Scale Tool over here. I'll click on one of the axis, hold down the Shift Key on my keyboard to make sure that it scales uniformly. And so I'll constrain it. We'll make this a little bit larger. We'll now use the walls to position this in 3D space. This is a case where we may want to come back to the Interactive Renderer just a little bit; that's the Up Arrow here, and then change one of the options right now. For the silhouettes, we have Box Only checked. What we may want to do is to go ahead and check All Walls and what that does is it actually projects the shape of the objects onto the walls instead of basic boxes. By choosing OK, now we can see when we look on the walls that we have a representation of the actual object so it's a little bit easier to see what's going on. I'll grab the Z axis, I'll drag this up in my scene a little bit so the floor is down here or I should say the legs here at the base of the floor of the assembly area. This is a great place where you could add an ocean primitive, just as we learned earlier on in this section on building scenes. We can drop it in and start working with it. Additionally, we can disclose all these areas now so we have crane, drill and you can see this object came in with colors but not with textures to make this look realistic. So many times things that you get on the web require additional work to get them to a level that you may want them at inside Carrara. But here's where you can use these imported objects just like you use any other Carrara objects. I'll come to the browser. Let me close this down so it's not taking up so much screen real estate. I can come to Metal over here and for this platform up here I can say well, gosh, I like that texture metal to go on there and I can drag over it with the object. I see it turn bright red and release it and now that texture is on this object so if I do a quick little render holding the keyboard shortcut X for a test render, we'll see it render out and we see that we've changed the color of the platform. You can go in and customize any type of model that you import with the toolsets that Carrara gives you. But that's how easy it is to import additional 3D content into your working Carrara 3D files.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.