Right, what we can do in this tutorial is work our way through and have a look at what Tools are available from within the Camtasia Recorder and to access the tools, we get at them, by clicking on the third button along, the Tools Button. And then to start off we'll roll down to Options to see what's available to us. Once I do, this Tools Options User Interface opens up with these 4 tabs, General, Inputs, Hotkeys and Program. For this tutorial, I'm simply going to look at the first tab, the General Tab and the last tab, the Program Tab. So starting off where we are on this General Tab, then you'll see these two checkboxes at the top under Help. Show Tool tips, which kind of speaks for itself, if you roll your mouse over something, then like every program you've ever used in the past, you'll see a Tool tip open up just as a prompt for what that particular action or function or button will do. Perhaps what's more important to you is the second checkbox there, labeled as Warn me when Recorder will be Recorded, because what this does is, if you've got it checked, then if you've got Camtasia Recorder within the screen area that you are about to record and that could be the whole program that you are recording or it could be part of the program. Then if you've got the Camtasia Recorder within that area, you'll see a pop-up message saying that what you are about to screen capture will include the Screen Recorder. Well in my case, for these tutorials for you, I do want to show you the Screen Recorder, however, pretty much most of the time I would imagine, you don't want to see the Screen Recorder as part of your screen recordings. So for example, if you are screen recording Adobe's Photoshop to display certain parts of it, you don't really want the Camtasia Recorder obscuring part of the screen, although you can overlook it. So with this checkbox, checked, then you'll see the message to prompt you, be aware you are about to record the screen and the Screen Recorder is in the way. You only have to move it outside of your screen area but the warning's there all the same. Moving down to the next section, the Capture Section, well I've got all 4 checkboxes checked because, well the first one there, Capture Layered Windows, well that might mean, in my example, I've just given about Photoshop. If you are screen recording something to do with Photoshop and you've got one of the Panels floating around on the top, maybe one of the Layers Panels, then you do want that floating panel to be part of the screen recording. The second option down, if I type anything in, well I don't want that to be captured too. The third option, if I've got a screensaver on my PC and it just happens to kick in during the capture process, then of course, that would ruin my screen recording. So Camtasia can disable this from occurring so long as you check in there and if you want to disable the Aero Function of Windows, Windows 7, during capture, then of course, you would check in the bottom option. Once you've finished a screen recording, you have 2 options, in terms of what format you want to save it as. So coming down to this area here, the Saving Area, then you can see at the moment, I've got this set to Record To and then I've got the Camtasia.CAMREC extension selected. But if you don't want the CAMREC extension and you want it to be saved as an AVI file, then click on the Drop Reveal there and choose AVI. I prefer to keep it as a CAMREC, a Camtasia Recording Extension, because it allows me much more flexibility. Anyway, you choose what you prefer. That said, to it's right, you'll see this File Options Button, click on it then you'll see these three Radio Buttons that allow you to name the resulting screen recording and they are, as you can see, fairly self explanatory. I've got it set at Ask for File Name, but you might want to change it to Fixed File Name or an Automatic File Name Generation. I'll leave it as Ask for File Name. So I've not changed anything, so I'll run down here and click on Cancel. And now I'll move over to the last tab there, Program and in this top optional area here, the Recording Region Area, the top one there, that's unchecked, the Show Green Region Rectangle while Recording, I prefer not to see a green bounding box around the area or the region that I'm screen recording. But you might prefer it, if you do, then just check in there. I find it a little bit too distracting. Moving down to the next area, the Workflow area, possibly the option I want to point out here, is the third one down, Restore Cursor Location after Pause. Well I've got that checked because if I'm doing a screen recording and I have to pause for whatever reason, then of course, I might very well use the mouse and move the mouse over to the Recorder and hit the Pause Button. Then whatever I do, drink a coffee, whatever, but when I go back to the screen recording itself and I start it up again, screen recording, well of course, you'd never know that I paused for a minute or so, unless the mouse cursor flicked over to the other side of the screen for example. And that would have been because I moved the mouse to pause the recording. However, with this option, Restore Cursor Location after Pause, well that would simply mean, the Camtasia Recorder remembers where your cursor was and when you start up recording once more, it places back it automatically in that position. Okay. Now moving down to Minimize, kind of connected to what I said a few moments ago, when we were looking at the General Tab, here I've got the Minimize Recorder set to Never because I don't want Camtasia Recorder during these tutorials for you, I don't want the Recorder to disappear off screen. I don't want it to be minimized but ordinarily I do, if I'm creating a course for VTC on Photoshop or Premiere or whatever program, I don't really want Camtasia Recorder on the screen. As soon as I start recording I want it to be minimized, down on my Task Bar so I don't see it. Well these options of course allow you to dictate whether it gets seen or not and where it gets minimized to and therefore if you click on that Drop Reveal there, you'll see these three different options. Minimize the Recorder, if the Recorder will be recorded, or you could Minimize the Recorder always, which is what I do ordinarily or just for you, during this course, I've set it to Never, so that it will always appear on the screen. So that you can see what I'm doing, whilst I'm explaining it to you and dependent on your setting there, well you can minimize it to, well as you can see, either the Task Bar or your System Tray and once you're done making Option changes, just click on OK. So we'll leave it here now that we've had a look around at some of the options that you can change, so work your way through and check or uncheck as necessary to suit the type of project that you are screen recording. Okay. Right, I'll leave it here and in the next tutorial, we're going to start looking at how we organize our projects, see you in a moment.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.