Let's look at Capturing a Screen Recording of a software program. We've already mentioned we'll look at capturing a program called Form Builder and here it is. It's set to a pixel dimension on my screen at 1024 by 768, in actual fact it should be set to 1024 by 768 but you'll probably spot it's not quite set to my required size, more on this in a moment and how we can change it. Now a quick word of warning whilst watching this tutorial, the way Camtasia 7 works is, it doesn't like to record itself as it were. So even though we're ostensibly screen recording Form Builder and I can click on these tabs here to move between Elements and Properties and Form Options, in reality we're screen recording Camtasia Recorder, recording itself, recording Form Builder. Confused? I am, anyway, I'm only mentioning this so you're aware I have these Camtasia limitations on what I can screen record. So it might not look as smooth as normal and the cursor might disappear occasionally but where it does, I'll try and and indicate where it should be by other methods. Anyway, regardless, let me talk you through what you do to capture a screen recording, in fact, just before I do, let me move Camtasia Recorder down here a little. So imagine I want to screen record a tutorial on how to add Form Element Fields within Form Builder. Well I'd have to show you how easy it is, to simply select this Text Field Option for example and left-click and drag to the left to start building a form, and of course now, that element is in place. Well, because I want to record the whole Form Builder User Interface, I need the area to record to be set to the footprint on screen, ie 1024 by 768. That's the size that Form Builder takes up on my monitor screen. My actual monitor size is much larger than this and we saw how this works in a previous tutorial when I zoomed out. Well, because I'm only interested in showing you Form Builder and not my desktop, that's of no interest to you, then I've set Form Builder to take up the pixel dimensions on my screen of 1024 by 768. And then I've set the Camtasia Recorder to bind itself around the edge of Form Builder. I'm going to walk you through how we do this. First of all, let me just move Camtasia Recorder back up here so it's more central on your screen. Right to set the screen area to record, in this Select Area Section, you'll see I'm set to 1024 by 769, it should be 768, I'm 1 pixel out, so we want to customize the size so it's exact. So next to where it says Custom, click the Drop Reveal Arrow there and now you'll see a list of Preset Size Configurations you can use, starting with Wide Screen Options at the top. We've got 640 by 360, 800 by 450, 1024 by 576 and 1280 by 720. Well these are common wide screen options; you could move down to the Standard Size Configurations of 640 by 480, 800 by 600 and what we want, 1024 by 768. So we'll choose that, now I know it's only a pixel difference but why not be accurate? And then now, if you follow my cursor around the screen, you'll see that my screen size is set to record at 1024 by 768. Incidentally, if you don't want to restrict the recorded area to a specific size and simply wish to record the full monitor screen, you'd click this Full Screen Button and as the Tool tip states, you'd use this option when recording large applications or the entire desktop. But as we've done here, we've selected a custom size area of 1024 by 768. Right, let's have a look at other Screen Capture Area Options; I'll click the Drop Reveal Arrow once again because I want to show you this option, Lock to Application. If you know you have set your Select Area to a predetermined size like we have at 1024 by 768 and your software application, in our case, Form Builder is the same, then clicking this option ensures the Screen Capture Area locks to those exact dimensions and borders the application exactly. Be aware though that some programs have beveled or curved edges, especially in the corners and this is especially prevalent in Windows 7 and because of these borders and beveled edges, it let's your desktop behind it seep through, by about 1 pixel at the edges. Now there's not much you can do about this, except for doing what I do and that's just clip the edges on the inside by manually setting up the Screen Capture Area just within the applications border. Okay, so let's have a look at other option considerations. Do you want to record audio simultaneously whilst you are screen recording? Or do you want to use a webcam? Well if you do, we'll go to our Capture Button here, the first one and then you'll see these two options here at the bottom. Now they're both unchecked because during this screen recording, I don't want to record audio and I don't want to record the webcam. However if I did, with the webcam for example, you can also set it by clicking here on this button and you'll notice there are these Drop Reveal Options too. Now I'm going to leave it off but I'll let you have an explore with that and the same principle applies for audio. The button is set to off, but if I clicked it, it would activate audio recording, alternatively if I want some options, click it's Drop Reveal Arrow and as you can see, it set to Do not Record the Microphone. However, if I do want to record audio as part of a screen recording, then I would simply select the relevant microphone and you'll see a list of all microphones connected to your PC. Now at the moment, I'm recording this on my laptop and I've only got the internal laptop microphone at present, so I'll select it and now, notice how Camtasia Recorder expanded in size, to show these extra audio functions. And therefore, with my laptops internal microphone, if I clap my hands you'll see the Record Level indicate there. You won't hear it incidentally because I've muted the audio from this screen recording; I told you it was going to get confusing didn't I? So you're only actually seeing the audio register rather than hear it. Okay. Now I'll click the Drop Reveal again and choose Do not Record Microphone and Camtasia Recorder collapses in size again. Right, that's us set up for a basic screen recording with no audio and how we choose the pixel dimension area that we want to record.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.