You'll appreciate that the first port of call when we want to create a Camtasia project focused on explaining aspects of software, such as Stylizer 5, the first port of call will, more than likely, be capturing your screen movements as you illustrate a specific function of the software. And of course, we do this by using Camtasia's Screen Recording Function, so that's what we'll look at during this tutorial. We'll have an overview look at the Recorder Function of Camtasia. Now one thing you're going to have to appreciate is, I'm not going to show you the Recorder in real time, well not all the time anyway, owing to the necessity to initially set it's parameters related to our project. Once you set the parameters specific to your screen capture, you have no way of adjusting them until you stop or pause the recording. So as a consequence this tutorial will comprise of a combination of various static screenshots, mixed in with some real screen recordings that I'll edit and enhance with Snagit 10 before bringing them back into Camtasia to deliver this tutorial to you concerning the Recorder. Confused? Imagine how I feel. Anyway let's get underway with our Recorder overview. You can open the Recorder a number of different ways, for example, you can do it right here, from within Camtasia by clicking on Tools and then rolling down to Studio Tools and then across to Camtasia Recorder okay? Perhaps that's the most obvious way. Alternatively, you can go down to your Start Button and navigate through your list of installed programs to the Camtasia Studio 7 folder, open it up and then inside, you'll find another folder called Applications. Well, if you open that one up, you can simply choose Camtasia Recorder and lastly the way I have my system set up, is by having just the Recorder pinned to my Task Bar down here, so that it's a simple click to fire it up when I want to record software. This has the advantage of not requiring you to open up Camtasia fully. Now this might be a consideration for you if you want to keep the CPU hit of your PC low and perhaps that's what I would suggest so that you get a clear, clean, jitter free screen recording. So once you have got it open, whichever way you have chosen, let's have an explore of the Camtasia Recorder and just so that we can see this clearly, without distraction, I've got the Recorder here open in isolation, simply recording a blank white screen. And seeing as this instance is recording this screen at present, you'll see under the Duration Area there, the amount of time it's been recording. Next to it is an Effects Section, where we can draw on the screen with ScreenDraw and next to that, is another option to Add Markers. These are 2 options we'll look at as we progress through the course. To the extreme right are 3 buttons to operate the Recorder, we have Delete and of course if it's clicked, everything recorded so far will be deleted. If you want to pause your screen capture, perhaps to have a gulp of coffee, then of course you would hit Pause and this retains all that you have recorded so far and once paused and subsequently restarted by clicking on the same button, the recording continues seamlessly. And the last button there, is the Stop Button, no doubt you can guess, clicking on there finishes your screen recording at that point and then making it available for you to take into your project. Notice across the top we have these Four Drop Reveal Menu Buttons, starting with Capture, where amongst other things, we have duplicated options such as Record, Stop and Delete as we've just spoken about. Note also at the bottom we can simply Record Audio should we just want to do that. Moving along we have the Effects Menu Drop Reveal Options and here we have the Annotation Area, Add System Stamp and Add Caption. Now essentially the Add System Stamp Function means you can add an overlay over the top of the screen recording that displays time and the date and date information and the elapsed recording time so far. You've probably seen this sort of thing on home movies, where you've got footage of your children running around the garden when they were two and you've got the date and the time embedded in the video. Well as you probably know, you can't remove that system stamp information from a video, in the same way, as you can't remove it once you've recorded it within Camtasia. So that's something to be aware of, you can't remove it afterwards. The Add Caption Option means you can do just that, add a caption to your screen recording at the time of recording, rather than afterwards. To be honest, the way I work, I prefer to add captions afterwards just in case something goes wrong with the screen recording and I don't want to have to do it all over again. Notice also that just underneath, if you want to artificially add the sound of your mouse clicking, you would click where it says Use Mouse Click Sounds. I tend to leave this off also but if you do want the sound of a mouse clicking artificially, then you would enable it there. Moving along to Tools, means we can choose to additionally open one of Camtasia's other functions, ie the Menumaker or Theater or Player or Screencast.com and right at the foot there, you can choose to display what Toolbars are viewable by clicking Recording Toolbars. Now as I said right at the beginning of this tutorial, it's tricky to show you these in action because when I choose any of these, the nature of the way the Screen Recorder operates, means it disappears from our screen recording, very frustrating. I'm trying to show you something about this Recorder but when I try to change anything, it disappears from view, as I say very frustrating when I'm trying to display this for you. Anyway, finally there's a Help Menu Drop Reveal at the end there which offers these Help Options. Okay, so that's a quick run through then, Camtasia's Recorder and the many functions that it offers.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.