Throughout this course, you'll notice me refer to Camtasia 7 as Camtasia 7 and also as Camtasia Studio 7 and in fact, occasionally you'll notice me call it Camtasia Suite. Well it's official name is Camtasia Studio and the 7 that I say every now and again, well this indicates the release version and we're working on Camtasia version 7, well in fact 7.1. I only bring this up so that you don't get confused when I refer to the many different functions within Camtasia. In actual fact, Camtasia 7 isn't just one program; it's comprised of five or six different aspects that allow for different functions within your project creation. And these functions that I talk about, well they include the Recorder, the Menumaker, Theatre, Player and something called Screencast.com. And all these functions or options are accessed by going up to Tools within Camtasia here and then roll down to where it says Studio Tools and then flying out to the right, gives you these options I've just spoken about. Recorder, Menumaker, Theatre, Player and Screencast.com. And we're not finished there, other functions include, well if you want to upload a finished project to a server via FTP, File Transfer Protocol, then move down a category below Studio Tools, to where it says Sharing. Where, if you fly-out to the right, well, it reveals these 3 options, Pack and Show, Batch Production and the one that we're interested in, Upload Media to FTP. Okay. So within the Camtasia Suite there are these various functions. Now in terms of these function just described, let me explain a typical workflow for a project. First of all of course, you'd need to decide on the program you'd like to capture on your screen. Now in our previous example, we saw us illustrating the Bullseye Function in the program Stylizer 5. Well once you've decided what particular function of a particular program that you want to illustrate, then next, once you've recorded your screen to illustrate the specific function, you need to move it into Camtasia. However, before doing that, let's step back a little. It's important to consider the screen size you want your final movie to be output at. For example, I've set Stylizer 5 here to cover a screen size of 1024 by 768. This isn't full size on my monitor, in fact it's probably only about half size but this is the size I want my final movie to be output at, therefore you need to set the Screen Recorder to those dimensions, 1024 by 768. There'll be more on how to do this as we progress through this course, in fact in the next tutorial, we'll be looking at the Screen Recorder itself. So dimension issues aside, once your screen recording is complete, it needs to be taken into Camtasia for editing and within Camtasia, any number of Editing Functions can be applied. Again, there'll be more on this as we progress through the course. Now I feel the next step would be to edit or enhance your audio, so once you've got your visuals sorted out, then as I say, the next step would be to enhance the audio, because bearing in mind, your audio could be recorded as you screen capture, ie when you are actually capturing the screen. At that particular moment, you could be talking live into Camtasia's Recorder or you could add the audio afterwards. Regardless to get professional results, in my opinion, the audio needs to be edited and cleaned up and enhanced to make it easier on the ear for your audience. Consider for example many users, use headphones, so any coughs or squeaking chairs that you might not notice initially, well all that needs cleaning up for professional results. Something else that I think is important in terms of audio, is you'll also need to even out the natural volume fluctuations of your narration. So as your voice's volume goes up and down, naturally, in normal speech, well those volume fluctuations need to be evened out so that they don't go so high and so low in volume. We'll work on this as we progress. Furthermore another consideration is, well you'll need to consider how to record audio from the screen as part of your program. For example, if you are screen recording an audio program such as Cubase or Adobe's Audition, where audio is the main element of that particular program, then of course, you'll need to record what's on the screen in terms of the audio playback. Again, this is something that we'll move onto as we progress. So once you're done in terms of screen recording, editing and then sorting out any audio problems, well possibly the next step is to consider the output of the project. For example, will it be deliverable on CD or DVD? Will it be deliverable only a website of yours? Or possibly will you be sending it to YouTube? All these options need to be considered to get the best looking results for your project and whilst we're on this topic, a very important consideration for movie output is what Codec you use. TechSmith, the makers of Camtasia provide a great compression, D Compression Codec called EnSharpen, just go to their website to grab it. Now bear in mind your end user will need this same Codec installed on their PC for certain output formats. Again, more on this as we move forward. So with this possible workflow, you'll require the many different functions Camtasia offers. It's not the only workflow but it is a typical or suggested workflow for screen captures. Okay, so we'll finish up here for this tutorial and we'll get more specific in the next few tutorials, in particular, in the next tutorial, we'll look at the Screen Recorder itself.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.