As is always the case, when we start to learn new software, it's always a good thing to do, to have a look around the User Interface. This large white area here at the moment, as you can see, is empty but once we start bringing assets into our project, then it's here we'll see them all represented. Like many software programs, there are always a couple of different ways of bringing things in, for example, with Camtasia, well you could probably tell, clicking there, where it says Import Media, well that would bring in any assets that we want to use within our project. We've got 5 Menu Buttons running across the top here, at the top left we've got File and clicking it of course drop reveals these different options, to create a new project or open a project et cetera. Moving along, we've got the Edit Menu Button, we've got View, we've got Play, Tools and Help. Underneath our Menu Bar we have these Icon Buttons that quickly allow us to, well in this case, we could click here and Create a New Project or this one would allow us to Open up an Existing Project. Moving along allows us to Save. I've just spoken about this Import Media Button and we have this Produce and Share Button here. Notice to it's right, we've got a little Drop Reveal Arrow there, just click on it and it will reveal these three different options, Produce and Share, Share to Screencast.com and Share to YouTube. Now I'm not sure if you can see, just to its right, there's another little Drop Reveal Arrow there, well if I click on there, well you'll see these 6 different options, New, Open, Save, Record the Screen, Import Media, Produce and Share. And all except for Record the Screen have got a check mark next to them. When they do have these check marks next to them, then we can see the relevant button running along here just to the left. If for example, we don't want to see the Produce and Share Button there, clicking down here to uncheck it, then of course, that removes it from view. Let me click on there again, maybe I don't want to see the Import Media Button, well clicking on here to uncheck, of course hides it. Let me bring it back and also I'll bring back the Produce and Share Button too. Now you will have noticed that the Record the Screen Button was unchecked but if I do want to bring that into view, then of course, I would click there and we now see the Record the Screen Button options there. Now I tend not to use it from within Camtasia, I prefer to use the screen recording aspect of Camtasia to be running separately. But if you do want it to be here, then you'll notice the Drop Reveal there allows you these two options to either Record the Screen or to Record PowerPoint. Now I'm going to remove it once more. Moving to the right in this area, where we've got this graphic, Camtasia Studio made by TechSmith, then this is the Preview Area. And in here, once you start assembling your project, then you can either preview before sending to the timeline. So you've got a photograph or an illustration or an audio file that you want to preview first, then it's in here you'll be able to do that. Additionally, what you'll find is, as you are making your project, then as you build your project up, you will see it in here too. Again, sounds complicated but it really isn't, we'll see this as we progress. Notice we have the straightforward Navigation Buttons at the bottom to either take us to the beginning or to Rewind or to Play, et cetera and we've got a Readout there just to the right of where we are up to with our project. If you want to see your Preview Window in full screen, then you would click on the button there. I tend not to use in full screen, but it's there if you do want to. If you want your Preview to float and you wanted to drag it around the screen a bit, then clicking on this button, you'll just see the Tool Tip disappearing off our screen at the moment but it allows us to detach the Preview Area so that we could have it floating around. Maybe that's something that you could do if you've got a dual monitor set up. Throughout this course, I will leave it where it is and underneath our Asset or Media Area, then we've got these rather large buttons, starting with Clip Bin or Library, Callouts, Zoom-n-Pan, Audio, Transitions and there's another at the end there called More. And as you can see, clicking on any of these brings up a separate view up here, specific to what you've just called up. Now apart from these six buttons we've seen, Clip Bin, Library, Callouts, Zoom-n-Pan, Audio, and Transitions, if we click on the Drop Arrow there where it says More, then you can see these other options. For example, Title Clips or Voice Narration and as you can see, as you click on any of these, then as I said, just up here we get an Interface that is specific to this large Tabbed Button that we call up. Okay. So just work your way through to reveal any of these. Now at this screen resolution of 1024 by 768 pixels, we are a little bit cramped with the User Interface but if you want to, just left-click here on the Preview Window and drag it to the right to give yourself a little bit more room. And if you want to do the same thing, roll your mouse over here, left-click and you could drag this up and you would increase the footprint running across the bottom of the screen where the video and the audio track lanes are. I'll take it back down again, just below all these buttons, you'll see these smaller buttons here, to allow us to Undo or Redo or Cut or Paste or Zoom In et cetera, et cetera. As we progress we will be using these buttons quite frequently. Notice the Ruler running along here? Well this is the Timeline and just below it we've got a Video 1 Track and an Audio 1 Track and it's here that we place our screen recordings or photographs and any audio that we record directly into Camtasia or possibly any audio that we bring into Camtasia that we've optimized in an external audio editing program. Now just to remind you what I said a moment ago, at this resolution of 1024 by 768, we are a little bit cramped, so what's going to happen during this course, occasionally I'm going to zoom in onto certain areas. So for example, this area up here, with our buttons and our Menu Bar and our Main Media Space, if I want to zoom into that, then, well I'll just flip over the screen and you'll see what I mean. Okay. So of course now that I've flipped over, we've got the same buttons but at this resolution, you can see more. And as you begin to create your projects, if you want to zoom in on a certain aspect of a program that you are trying to illustrate, then this might be a technique that you want to do too. I'll show you how this is done as we progress but of course now that I'm zoomed in just to this area, I now see all these different buttons running across the foot of our screen now. Whereas before, we had to click on the More Button, well the More Button isn't there any longer because we now see all the different buttons that are available. So that's a quick run through then Camtasia 7's User Interface and we've had a look at where most of these functions and facilities are. So what we'll do now is then, we'll just finish up and we'll move forward and have a quick look at the Snagit version 10 User Interface.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.