OK. I've got AutoCAD open, but I haven't got any drawings open right now. The reason for that is I'm going to open up a new drawing, a new project drawing in this case, from the Template that we've just created. So, I got to the Quick Access Toolbar here, I click on the New Icon, and that will bring up the Create New Drawing dialog box. Now, I've got that Startup Dialog Box set up so that every time I click on New it comes up on the screen, and that's using what they call the Startup System Variable in AutoCAD. Now, instead of using the default Start from Scratch option, where I select either Imperial, or Metric, I'm going to this Icon here: Use a Template. Now because we've already created an A3 ISO Drawing Template here, I can select it now and when I click on OK that will open up a brand new drawing now, you'll notice Drawing4 up here, .dwg, I'll just pan that slightly so the Title Block fits the screen, and you'll see that I've got a blank drawing ready to go. Now in our Template, what I did leave behind was the building line in the Modelspace. That was purely Ð so there it is in the Modelspace Ð so that we've got these here. So you can see I've deliberately left that object in the Model tab there so that we've got something in the Viewport as a point of reference. Now, I'm not going to work on this drawing. What I'm going to do is I'm going to start looking towards File Management. So what I would need to do now is, I need to do a Save As. I'm not going to do a Save because that will save the file as Drawing4.dwg, here. I go to the Application Menu here, I click on the down arrow and I go to Save As, like so. Now I've already saved a drawing in this particular Project Drawings file. Now, this file, or as Windows calls them, Folders, is where you're going to start utilizing your File Management skills, and it's a very simple skill to have. Basically, be organized, be methodical. So, I've already got Drawing001 in there, so what I need to do is I need to save that drawing as the next drawing in the sequence, so I would save this drawing, for example, as 002 in the box there. I would make sure that the File of type is correct; in this case it's a 2007 dwg, and then what I would do is I would click on Save. That then saves that drawing as that filename, so notice now I've got: C Documents Ð that's the file path Ð but you can see the 002.dwg. Now, if I just do a Quick Save, by hitting this Icon here on the Quick Access Toolbar that will save back, but notice the AutoCAD Title Bar just shows the filename now because it knows where it is. Now, this is great because I can see the drawing name now, and I'm working with my File Management. I now know that I'm in the second drawing of my group of project drawings. Now wouldn't it be lovely, though, instead of having to go and find these drawings on a server, on a computer, on a portable hard drive, buried in a whole big pile of Windows Folders somewhere, wouldn't it be nice if you could just set it up so that AutoCAD looks in that folder every time? Well, it can be done. It's very easy. I'm going to go here to Open now on the Quick Access Toolbar. I click on Open and as you can see there I'm in my Project Drawings Folder and there are my two drawings. I'm going to go up one level here. So, see this little Icon here? Up one level? I click there, and that takes me up a level. There is my Project Drawings Folder. You can see the other drawings here that are being worked with on the AutoCAD 2010 Basic 2D Concepts Course. But what I'm going to do now is move this Project Drawings Folder path into here, and this is where I can basically put any Folder, any Web Site, any FTP Site that I may need to work with this project. So what I do is I left-click here on Project Drawings and I drag over here. See the little Plus sign? I release the mouse button and there's my Project Drawings Folder. Now, what I really love about this is when I click on that now, watch what happens. It takes me straight to my Project Drawings Folder. It remembers the path. So it doesn't matter now, no matter when I open up AutoCAD or open up a drawing now, what will happen is it will take me to that Project Drawings Folder. So watch. If I now Cancel that, cancel that Open Command; would I like to save the changes I've made to the Places List? Yes, please. Because that remembers my Project Drawings Folder. I close the 002 drawing like so, and what I do now is when I go to open here on the Quick Access Toolbar, I click here now, it's already there anyway because it was the default from when we did it last, but if I click there now you'll see that goes straight to my Project Drawings Folder. If I click now on Datasets, which is a different location, you'll see there that there's nothing there at the moment; it can't find anything. But if I go back here, that one works. The reason there's a White Folder there is because that one, obviously, the files have been removed from that Folder. So, as you can see there: File Management. Utilize the tools in AutoCAD but also just be organized and methodical with your drawing naming conventions and where you store your drawings.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.