Let us move along now and take a look at some more intricate processes in image manipulation. We have seen this image before and we are going to kind of more or less repeat the same process that we did before, but I want to show you some different aspects of the process. So we are going to be repeating ourselves just a bit, but I think it is worth doing to point out some additional aspects of adjusting only parts of your image. We are going to move along a little more complicated process than what we have looked at before. Now this is an image of Half Dome in Yosemite National park; as I mentioned before, the issue with this particular shot is that you can expose for the face of Half Dome or you can expose the shot for the forest and the Merced River. And so we are going to always expose for the lighter portions of your image, since we know we can correct the darker images a lot easier than we can the lighter ones. So we are going to expose correctly for the lighter images, and let us just adjust this just a bit on a global scale here so that we can start with something that is going to be really impressive. We are going to increase the detail in Half Dome and we want to do that to bring out the little details of the image, maybe a little of the detail in the clouds, maybe bring a little more of what is on top up here. Okay. Now what we are going to do is we are going to adjust the color and the brightness of the foliage under here, because you can always pull this back out again. I am not worried about that, the image information is there, we just have to pull it out. Alright, here is what we are going to do, we are going to go up to select, we are going to go to color range, this is all going to come back to you, do not forget that we have our little eyedropper and we have the trees over here. I like that, so we are going to keep it. Then what we are going to do is we are going to push down the shift button on the keyboard so that we can make another selection and keep the one we had before, so we are going to make another selection, push down the shift, look at that, well that came up perfect, I would not be able to do it like that again in a million years. So let us keep it, that is absolutely dead on letter perfect. Alright, we are going to keep that selection and then we are going to feather this selection, so that it looks groovy when we get done with it. Five pixels is about the most we want to do. Don't forget we are going to duplicate our layer via copy, so that we have just this that we are going to be manipulating, okay? First thing we are going to do is go to the levels and see what the auto button will do which is nothing, and so we are going to make these adjustments manually. I come up here like this, that's about all the white we want to put into it. Keep in mind that when we are adjusting this white level here, we are coming beyond where it usually connects because we really want to accentuate it. For the rest of the image we are going to use the gamma adjustment and that brightens the image and that is what we did before. That is where we left it, okay? We did not boost any colors, we did not do anything else to it, but this time we are going to boost colors and we are really going to tweak this image to really make it a more dramatic shot than it was. And we are going to keep that and then next we are going to adjust for color, and let us boost the saturation and just see what happens. The problem we have in this image is not really a problem but one of the things that we kind of don't want to get away from us, and let us keep that just for the time being, is these leaves on this tree right here are considerably brighter than this area over here. The brightness on the selection that we made is not really balanced, so we have to kind of segregate it just a bit. Now this looks good as far as it goes but we really want to bring out the reds over here and we want to deepen the greens just a little bit over here, and I think this looks good probably the way it is. So what do we do to boost the reds here and the greens over here? Well there are a couple of ways that we can approach that and the first one we are going to look at is, kind of look at our channels. Let us look at the red channel and let's boost the red channel and see what that does. Now this is one of the rare occasions when we are going to use the brightness control because we are going to brighten the reds. No, don't like that result, so let us do it another way. We are going to use the saturation tool; we are going to saturate certain areas of the image, and the way you keyboard, you expand your brush, whatever it happens to be, is the bracket keys on your keyboard-- right bracket to enlarge, left bracket to reduce. We are going to saturate this area right here at about, let's take this up to seventy-five percent. We will see, we are just painting here, just like an artist would paint, looking at this right here, we want to leave this alone, that's done good enough. See those reds coming up? We can do this here. Now keep in mind, we are not boosting the Half Dome, we are not boosting the color of the purple in Half Dome, We have only got the top layer selected, so all we are doing is affecting the trees, we are not touching this area here. It does not need a whole lot, don't sit here forever messing with it, maybe more brown down here on the grass, and I would say generally speaking, that just about got it. Before and after. What do you think? Not bad, before and after. Doesn't that look better? Now I will show you something so cool, you are just going to die. We are going to change the sky above Half Dome; it will really add some drama to this photograph. Before we do that, let us flatten the image, merge our layers. Stick around, you are going to love what comes up.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.