This is lesson two of what I guess I should call our starting point for any project that you are going to undertake in Photoshop, and folks, a word of warning, I am the only human being on planet earth that would tell you to do what I am about to tell you to do. Alright, every other book that I have read, every book author, every tutorial author, every "expert" on Photoshop will tell you to stay away from the process I am getting ready to show you. Now I am going to demonstrate to you that it is a very valuable tool and there are times it will save you an unbelievable amount of work and will really kind of give you a result that I am not sure you could achieve on a manual basis. So here is our first image, this is the familiar shot of the rainbow over Half Dome in Yosemite National Park. We have already discussed the technical deformations on this particular shot, but let's demonstrate it; we go to image, we are going back to our histogram now, okay, image - adjustments - levels, I purposely shoved that out of the way so you can see what is going on, but again we have our histogram. We are not going to do anything with these controls, we are going to move this over here and this is what I want to show you, see this auto button here, you click on the auto button and what is happening is that Photoshop is looking at your image and is making the corrections that it thinks it ought to make. So we click it and here is the result. Looks better than it did. Okay, not perfect, not anything that I am going to keep, but it looks better than it did. In this particular case it improved the photograph but it did not really bring it to its full potential. So we are not going to use it, we are going to dump out of it, but at least it gave an opportunity to see what it can do. People will tell you to stay away from this control and I don't know why, I am getting ready to show you some great stuff. Now here is our familiar photo of Leah, it is obviously very, very dark, looks like it might be a good candidate to see what the auto button can do. Auto levels, I guess, is the proper term for that button, I just call it the auto button. We click on it, nothing happens. Do not ask me why, because I do not know. Nothing happens, so it did not correct this particular photograph. And you will see that a lot, it will not correct every single photograph that you bring in. Look at our next one, now this is another familiar shot of our bricks in Fresno and we are going to go up here to image - adjustments - levels, click on it, and look at that, I can live with that, that is a keeper. Click on the button and we get exactly what we are looking for. We showed you before how adjusting these histogram controls would give you a corrected image, but when you can click one button to get the same result, which would you rather do? So when you begin every photograph, click on this auto button just to see what will happen. Now prepare to be amazed, you are not going to believe these last two images of what it can do. Now to give you a background on this, this is a scan of a negative on a flat-bed scanner. Now I have told you a hundred times, do not do that. I did it only to see what would happen, what kind of a result you will get out of a flat-bed scanner, and it was awful, but I got to tell you this image is not the result of the flat-bed scanner. This is a photograph that was shot in 1976, I believe it was, and it was kind of a last-minute trip, so I ran to the drugstore and I bought this cheap private label film that has been sitting on the shelf for six years, you have seen it, and when we took the pictures I took them in to get them processed and to complicate matters, I am telling you the chemicals that they used to process this film were totally one hundred percent exhausted. I mean the prints were awful, the negatives had this green look to them and this was the result. Now here we are, fast forward to 2003, you are in Photoshop and you are thinking to yourself, man am I going to have to bring down the greens, I am going to have to boost the reds and I am going to do something to the blues and we've got this ocean, we've got her skin, we've got this sky and we've got all this going on, it is going to take me all night to get this thing corrected. If I had a drum roll I would play it because it's apropos. Watch this, holy mackerel, is that not amazing? I mean I was thrilled the first time I saw it, I could not believe it, I mean I would much rather start my project in restoring this image with this, than I would with this. Does it save you work or what? Obviously this photograph is not way perfect, it's got scratches, it's has all kinds of stuff that needs to be done to it, but I would rather start from here than from the alternative. Great, and here is our last example, again, prepare to be amazed. Control room of WIFE radio in Indianapolis, Indiana where I was a disc jockey and this shot was taken in 1977 when I went to work there and I took a picture of the control room for posterity. The negative is again taken to a drugstore and poor processing and then age further deteriorated it once again, you are going to look at this thing and you are going to say oh dear, I've got so much work to do on this, it is going to take me hours to get this thing just color corrected, forget the rest of it. Again, hang on to your hat, watch this, click the auto button, can you believe that? I mean is that not amazing or what? Sometimes this auto button will just blow you away with what it can do, other times it won't do a tinkered thing to any photograph. Now it needs sharpening, and maybe I am going to dodge this to bring up the detail on the control board and all that stuff, but it is just amazing, it is a short cut, it saves you so much work. When you bring your photos in, at least give Photoshop a chance to see what it can do. Sometimes it will amaze you. The auto button here is an amazing thing sometimes. Do not forget, I am the only guy in the world that will tell you to do this. But you have seen why, you have seen what it can do.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.