There's a few final techniques that I'd love to show you in terms of working with your layers and managing your layers inside Photoshop. Let's get started with something that's referred to as linking layers. So here's the example that I'm going to show you. I'm going to twist open my Text Layer Group there and of course I have the Text Layer and the Stripe Layer in there. Now let's say for example that down the road at some point I decide that I want to move this block, the white stripe and the text. Well, you know, if I drag on the stripe, of course the Medieval Dinner Text stays where it isright? So in other words, these two layers inside the Layers Palette are not connectedright? Check this out. What I'm going to do is I'm going to grab one of these guys, hold down Command or Control and select the other guy and essentially what I want to do is I want to link these guys together. So in other words, whatever happens to one layer is also going to happen to the other layer. So to do so, I'm going to head up to the Layers Palette Menu up at the top, pop that guy open and there's an option in there called Link Layers. Go ahead and choose that fellow there and you'll notice that as soon as you choose that command, we now have these little chain links that show up over on the right-hand side of the layer. So now when I select the Stripe Layer and I move him around inside the image, the text is going to go with him or if I grab the Text Layer and drag the text around, the white stripe is going to go with it. So who the heck knows? Maybe it'll wind up being across the top or maybe across the extreme bottom or, you know, who the heck knows? But just a neat little option that I thought I would at least mention to you there. So pretty cool. Alright, what else can we do here inside Photoshop. Well, you know what I'm going to do is I'm going to take my two layers here, the Text and the Stripe and let's say I don't want them linked anymore. I'll go back to the Layer Palette Menu over on the top-right corner and I'll choose Unlink and instead what I can do is I could head back to that menu with the two layers still selected and I could choose Merge Layers. Now, what that means is that would mean that the Smart Object, the Medieval Dinner Text Layer and the white stripe would now all be compiled or flattened down onto a single layer, if that makes sense. I'm going to go ahead and choose the command to show you here. So now I only have one layer, whereas before I had two, which by the way now means that I can never separate the text from the white stripe. Well, not without a lot of hard work anyway. So something to keep in mind, although I don't often merge layers myself. I'm just going to Undo that, Command Z or Control Z and go back to where I was. There's another option here that I should mention as well just while I think of it and he's available from the Layers Palette Menu as well. I'm going to pop this guy open we have a command here called Flatten Image and if I choose Flatten Image, what happens is the entire Layers Palette is all crushed down, all the way down into one single background layer, which means my layer effects are gone, my Smart Objects are gone, my editability is completely gone, everything's goneright? Which I don't like so much obviously. So of course I'm going to Undo that as well. I very, very rarely use that command. It's nice to know that it's there but again, I rarely use it. OK, a few other quick things that I want to show you here. This next command that I'm going to show is kind of a, sort of a housecleaning command and it's new inside Photoshop CS5 by the way as well. Let's say as we're working along we wind up with a ton of extra layers, you know, these empty layers that sort of wind up cropping up every once in a while. So I just clicked on the New Layer Icon down at the bottom of the Layers Palette. I have a new layer there inside the Text Layer Group and you know, maybe I'll go and add in one or two more extra, empty layers. Now, how do you wind up with empty layers? Well, you know, as you're working along you're selecting stuff, you're deleting stuff, you're moving objects between files and sometimes you wind up with empty layers. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a command that looked for empty layers inside your file and automatically got rid of them? Well, that's exactly what I'm going to show you here and again, it's new inside Photoshop CS5. So here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to head all the way up to the File Menu, down to Scripts, down towards the bottom and there's our new command Delete All Empty Layers. Click on that guy and Photoshop does its job and clean up all of those empty layers. Very cool stuff. Alright, wonderful. Final thing that I want to show you here: saving this file. Way back when I had you open up two files: Statue.jpg and Clouds.jpg. So we started with JPEGsright? JPEG's don't support layers, if you'll recall. So if I choose Command S or Control S on the Windows side to save this guy, Photoshop wants to save this guy as a psd file, a Photoshop document. In other words, Photoshop wants you to try and maintain the editability of this file. If I just save this guy out as a JPEG, well, again, I'm going to get all of my layers flattened down to that background layer. Instead I want to keep this guy in an editable state, not an edible state, but an editable state so that I can come back to him, you know six months from now or two weeks from now and continue working on him, alright? So make sure you're saving your files as .psd documents. I'm going to save this guy up on my Desktop so I'll just navigate towards my Desktop on my Mac here. At least I'm going to call him Statue underscore Completed and then I'll go ahead and save this guy out. Alright, I'm going to get a compatibility warning here. I'll just go ahead and click on OK to take that. There you go. There's tons of info on working with layers inside Photoshop. I hope you had fun and as you can see again, it's one of these major issues, major topics inside Photoshop. You saw selections. That's a big deal. Resizing, that's a big deal. Layers obviously is a big deal and what we have next is also a big deal. So let's keep on going here.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.