OK, now, this next item that I want to show you, I'm really actually, I'm really excited to show you this because I think this is arguably my most favorite new feature inside CS5, Photoshop CS5 that is. Do you know what Smart Objects are? I use Smart Objects all the time, particularly between Illustrator and Photoshop but also sometimes between Photoshop and Dreamweaver. That's something that came around in CS4. Well, now what we have are Photoshop Smart Objects. Now, if you don't know what that is really, I think it'll make a heck of a lot more sense when I actually show you this but probably the short and sweet I guess you could say is imagine having a Photoshop file inside another Photoshop file. So here's what I'm going to do here. We have our statue composite image that we're working on. We have our layers there, the stripe, the statue, the clouds, it's all good. I'm going to flip over to my Finder Window, at least here on the Mac and I'm looking at my Project Files Folder. Now, if you're on the Windows side, make sure to open up a new Explorer Window, a new Folder Window and navigate towards your Project Files Folder and inside your Project Files Folder you'll find a file, I've get them selected here, Text.psd. So .PSD. He's a Photoshop document or he's a native Photoshop file. Essentially what I want to do is I want to add this file into our statue composite. So you're going to need to arrange your screen sort of like I have my screen arranged. I have Photoshop in the background. I can see my statue but then on top of that I have my Project Files Folder open and I have the Text.psd file selected. Getting this to actually work is a little bit weird but kind of follow me on the magical mystery tour. Essentially what I want to do is I want to add Text.psd to the layout that you and I are working on inside Photoshop. So again, it's going to be a Photoshop file inside another Photoshop file. That's the whole idea here. So what I'm going to do is I'm going to take Text.psd, fasten your seatbelts here. What I'm going to do is drag this guy into my statue image window down inside Photoshop, drag and drop him in there and you get this. Now, what we see here and I hope this worked for you, is the contents of Text.psd. OK, let me zoom in just a little bit here on my file. Now, we get a little bit of text in here, place your text here, May 17, 2010 and so on. We get a large, gray rectangle and then the entire structure of this object is enclosed, if you will, inside this frame and this frame looks almost like the Free Transform Frame, doesn't it? And by the way, it functions in exactly the same way as well. I could scale this object or rotate it around or whatever. I think in my case here all I'm going to do is I'm just going to reposition him down towards the bottom of my layout, something like this I think is fine and then I'll just hit Enter to lock that in. Alright, we're looking good here. Now, have a look over at your Layers Palette and what you should find is at the top of your Layers Palette you should have a new layer called Text. So in other words, it created a new layer based off of the file name that you and I just dragged in, right; Text.psd. Make sure this guy's at the top of your Layers Palette by the way as well. Now, this is the cool part. This is the part that I want to show you. This little icon here in the bottom right corner of the layer thumbnail indicates that we have a Smart Object. Now, what the heck is this thing called a Smart Object? Well, again, it's a file inside another fileright? In our case it's a .psd file inside another Photoshop File. Now, what I want to do though is I want to edit this Smart Object so check this out. I'm going to double click on this little Smart Object Icon over inside the Layers Palette and I'm presented with this really cryptic dialog box. It reads here After editing the contents, choose File Save to commit your changes. Those changes will be reflected upon returning to Statue.jpg or whatever file you're currently working on. The file must be saved to the same location. If the Save As Dialog Box appears, choose Cancel and flatten he image before saving. And that's really kind of weird and cryptic. It doesn't really tell us exactly what's going to happen here so let's reluctantly click on OK and see what happens here. Alright. Now, this is the cool part. I'm brought into Text.psd. So in other words, it just opened up Text.psd. Well, actually not exactly. Not precisely. It's actually opened up a temporary file based off of Text.psd. But as you can see, over inside the Layers Palette, I now have three text layers and a gray background layer so I have a layer for St. Peter's Hall, I have a layer for the date there, May 17, 2010 and I have a layer called Place Your Text. So all of these text layers here and you can tell that they're text layers because the T Icon there all correspond with what we see down inside the image window. So what I want to do here with you and I hope this is making sense and if it's not, hang in there and it'll make sense as we go along here. What I want to do is I just want to set up a couple of simple changes here. I want to change the text here from Place your text to the actual name of the event. Again, maybe this is going to wind up being a poster for some kind of an event or a charity meeting or something like this. So I'm going to hit the T Key on my keyboard and what that does is that flips me over to the Text Tool inside my Toolbox and what I'll do is I'll click and drag over top of this text here to change it and by the way, as a quick aside, you may not be seeing the same font that I have here. You might not have the same font installed on your computer in any regard, I'm going to type in the name of my event which is Medieval Dinner, there we go, something like that. I'll go back to my Move Tool inside the Toolbox and by the way, here's a neat little trick. I'm on my Move Tool and you can see that the right edge of the Medieval Dinner isn't lining up with the St. Peter's Hall or the date there so with my Move Tool activated, I just tap my Left Arrow Key on my keyboard, actually nudge this object around, which is kind of cool. So in other words, what you can do is you can select a layer inside your Layers Palette there and then use your Arrow Keys on your keyboard to nudge that object around so long as you're on the Move Tool. OK, cool. I think we're looking good here. I'm going to turn off the visibility of the background layer as well, that nasty gray background. Let's save our file, Command S or Control S on the Windows side. Let's close the file, Command W or Control W again on the Windows side, back to our statue layout and there's our changes inside Photoshop. So now we can move the Smart Object wherever we want. Again, we can nudge it if we want using our Arrow Keys and it's all about this Smart Object here inside our Layers Palette. So all the stuff that we see here, the text here and if we had that background layer and so on, that's all compiled, if you will, inside this Smart Object inside our Layers Palette. So again, it's kind of like having a file inside a file. It's extremely cool and I can think of about a billion applications of where I could use this in my own work. That's why I think it's one of my favorite new features inside Photoshop CS5. So I hope you'll like it.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.