OK, now, what I've decided to do here with this composition, I want to get some text into this image. Maybe this is going to wind up being a poster for an event or maybe a postcard of some sort or who the heck knows and what I have in mind here is I want to create a white stripe running right across, let's say about the bottom third of the image, right? Now, I suppose what I could do is I could head over to the Layers Palette and I could select the Statue Layer and I could create the white stripe directly on the Statue Layer but you know, if I do that, then I would never be able to separate the white stripe from the statue ever again. Do you know what I mean? So in other words, if I create the white stripe directly on the Statue Layer, then it's a permanent change or it's a permanent addition I guess I could say to my composition and how I like to work is I try to keep everything as editable as possible. Who knows? Down the road I might decide, you know, that white stripe really should have been across the top of the layout or something like this. So I hope that makes sense. What I'm going to do here is I'm going to go and create a new blank layer inside my image and of course we already know how to do this. I'm going to head all the way down to the bottom of the Layers Palette and click on the little Page Icon there, New Layer and I want to make sure that this new layer is all the way at the top of the Layers Palette because I want my white stripe to sit on top of the entire compositionright? So he's going to be again at the front of the image, right? And then how do I actually go about creating a white stripe? Well, what I'm going to do is I'm going to go and grab my Rectangular Marquee Tool out of the Toolbox. By the way, there's lots of different ways to create white stripes and white rectangles. This is kind of the quick way. So I grab my Rectangular Selection Tool and all I'm going to do is click and drag out a rectangle, maybe something like that. Now, the cool thing here is it doesn't even have to be perfect. Don't worry about it. If you kind of mess it up or maybe it's too short or, you know, it's not stretching all the way across your image, don't worry about it because I'm going to show you a really cool trick for adjusting your rectangle in just a moment here. Alright, now next up what I'm going to do here is I'm want to fill the rectangle with white. So in other words that's going to create our white stripe for us. Now, just do me a favor and hit the D Key on your keyboard and what that will do is that will ensure that your foreground and background colors down at the bottom of the Toolbox are at their defaults. In other words, you should have black in the top left and white in the bottom right. Alright. Now with that setup, what we want to do now is we want to fill the selection with the background color. How do you do that? Well, give this is a try. On the Windows side hold down Control, on the Mac side I'm going to hold down Command and simply hit your Delete Key on the keyboard and that will fill your selection with the background color. Awesome. As a quick point of interest, if you're interested here, so holding down Control or Command and hitting Delete will fill with whatever color you have inside that background color swatch. Holding down Alt on the Windows side or Option here on the Mac and hitting Delete will fill with your foreground color; whatever color you have in there. Alright. Good stuff. Go ahead and get rid of your marching ants. You can deselect there, Command D or Control D and I mentioned a moment ago that I wanted to show you a method for adjusting your white stripe. Maybe you're not happy with it. Maybe you want it to be thicker or thinner or who the heck knows. Again, because we created this guy on his own layer, he's now independent of the other objects inside our composition. So he's independent of the statue, he's independent of the clouds. So I could for example grab my Move Tool. I just tap the V Key on my keyboard and what I can do now is I can move my rectangle around inside my image and again, he's floating on top of everything so I haven't made any, you know, destructive changes to my image or anything like this. Everything is still editable. But give this a try. What if we use our Free Transform on this white stripe? So I'm going to hit Command T on my keyboard here and maybe I'll just zoom in a little bit so we can see this here. There he is. And I'll just make this guy a little bit skinnier maybe or maybe I'll bring him down a little bit on the bottom there or perhaps in on one side or perhaps in on the other side. This is great. I love this because it's completely editable and that's how I like to work in Photoshop. Again, whether it's special effects I'm doing or color correction. I'll show you all this stuff later on, how to work with this stuff in a non-destructive way inside Photoshop because I like to have options. I come back to this six months from now and go white stripe across the bottom? What the heck was I thinking? The white stripe should be across the top, something like this and it should be skinnier and, you know, all the rest of it, right? So again, we have options. We have choices here. So long as we keep everything on its own layer inside our document. OK, I think I'm pretty happy with something like this. I'm going to hit Enter to lock in that change. I'm going to zoom out here so we can see how this guy looks. I think that looks pretty good. You know, we should rename our layer though before we forget and I'm bad for this. I get into that creative process and I wind up with Layer 13, Layer 14, Layer 15 inside my layout and I go what the heck is on Layer 12? So I try to remind myself as I go to rename my layers. So then just double click on Layer 1 there and maybe I'll just call this guy Stripe. And OK, perfect. Enter to lock that in.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.