Alright, you survived Resizing Images inside Photoshop. Give yourself a pat on the back. Now, for something entirely different and super easy. We're going to kind of cruise through the remainder of these few lessons here. Cropping Images. That's easy. That's fun. So, here's what we'll do. I closed out of everything that I had open inside Photoshop here and I want you to open up another Project file here, so again I'll just double-click on my gray background and I'll head into my Project Files and inside our Project Files we have a file called Cropping.jpg. Go ahead and pop that guy open. Alright, so here we go. Now if I zoom in on this image just a little bit you'll notice that my drafty barn is somewhat askew. He's leaning somewhat to the left and I want to try and straighten that up, so I want to show you a couple of different things here. I want to show you Cropping, I want to show you Straightening and some other cool things here. I'll also show you something called Increasing or Resizing something called the Canvas here inside Photoshop. I'll get to that in just a little while. But here's the deal in terms of cropping your photos and straightening them out and all this good stuff. What I'm going to do is I'm going to use Photoshop's Crop Tool and he's nice and easy to work with. He's found down inside the Toolbox there. You can just hit your C key on your keyboard if you want, just grab this fella here and all I'm going to do, quite literally, with this guy is simply click and drag out a box inside my image, and you know, in the real world I'm not even really that careful about it. I just kind of throw a box onto my image and then I start messing around with them. Now, a couple of things happen here. We get a dotted frame, some marching ants, inside our image and part of our image gets sort of tinted out or grayed out if you will. The area that's tinted out, or the area that's on the outside of this crop frame is the area that's going to get deleted from my photo, or removed from my photo. And then, of course, the area inside the crop frame would be kept. What's cool here is I can come along here before I commit to anything and I can resize my crop frame and I can do so simply by using the little handles that appear on the top and bottom, on the right- and left-hand sides of the crop frame or, of course, in all four corners of the crop frame as well. So I would come in here and I would sort of size things up. Do I want to get rid of that little weather vane on the peak of the roof there? Or maybe I want to try and keep that in, you know, it's really up to me. I'd have to think about that. Now, in terms of straightening my image - give me a second here, I'm just going to scale things down here a little bit - here's my technique. Everybody has their own method here but I'm going to zoom in on my image and it's kind of cool that I can zoom in while I'm still inside my crop frame here. I just hit Cmd-Plus, or Ctrl-Plus and I'm just holding down my Spacebar here and kind of repositioning my screen. This is how I do it, anyway. What I do is I try to line up the edge of the crop frame with something inside the photo that's supposed to be straight. Like I'm under the assumption that the edge of this barn, the left edge of the barn, should be straight inside the photo, so depending on the image. It might be a telephone pole, it might be the edge of a building, who the heck knows, right? And what I'm going to do is I'm going to bring my cursor outside of the crop frame, something like this and you'll notice that my cursor now changes to a curved double-headed arrow, suggesting that if I click and drag I can actually rotate my crop frame, which is really coolright? So, essentially what I would try and do and usually I just kind of eyeball it, is I want to try and get the crop frame essentially on the same angle as the object that I'm using inside my photo. So I've actually done kind of a half decent job there, which is surprising to me. And sometimes I'll even put the line right on top of the object, something like that, just to, you know, double check, just to make sure that it's nice and straight. Something like that. And I go, alright. That looks pretty good to me. So then I'll simply zoom out, Cmd-Minus or Ctrl-Minus and then simply size up the crop frame on this angle, you know, something like this. And again, I've got some lightning rod choices to make here. I'm going to wind up taking out some of it anyway, unfortunately, because I can't really crank it any higher than that because then I'm going to get some white space there in the top corner. I suppose it wouldn't be too bad in this sort of overcast sky, but, anyway. Decide how much of that foreground I want to keep, something like this, right? When I'm feeling good, when I feel that it's happening here I've got two choices now. I can either double-click with my mouse anywhere inside the crop frame or I can just hit the Enter key on my keyboard. Either way, what that does is that commits the Crop. It commits the change that I've made and now I have a nice straight barn photo inside Photoshop. So, there you go. That's kind of a quick idea anyway of how Cropping works. Now, I'd love to show you a new process inside Photoshop CS5 for straightening out your images, so we'll take a look at that next.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.