I've been dumping massive amounts of information on you here and I think it's high time that we take a look at a real world example of the Image Size dialog box in action on a real image that I took with my digital camera and I want to give you some practical examples of resizing your images with Resampling and resizing your images without Resampling. In this exercise we'll take a look at resizing images without Resampling. So, I cancelled out of the Image Size dialog box. I closed out of my cartoon robot and what I want to do now is I want to go and open up a new image with you here, so go ahead and double-click on your gray background or choose File, Open and inside your Project Files folder look for a file called Resizing.JPG Go ahead and pop that fella open. It looks like this. You might want to zoom in a little bit on him. It's up to you. OK, now a little bit of info for you here before we really go off the deep end. I took this image, I took this photo on a family road trip. It's kind of a neat curve in the road and the camera that I took the photo on is a 5 megapixel camera. What I'm going to do now and I mentioned this quite a while ago to you, is whenever I get an image into Photoshop, whenever someone sends me an image, I want to know what I'm dealing with, so I want to get into that Image Size dialog box pretty quick. Now, do you remember your Keyboard Shortcut for getting into the Image Size dialog box? Remember, on the Windows side it was Ctrl-Alt-I or myself here on the Mac it's Cmd-Option-Iright? So, head into the Image Size dialog box and just for the time being make sure that Resample Image is turned Off and let's have a look at what we're actually dealing with here. I want to talk about the Pixel Dimensions just for a second. So, this image is 2560 pixels in Width by 1920 pixels in Height. Now, if I take those two values and I multiply them together, go grab a calculator and multiply these two values together. What you'll get is 4.9 million pixels, or 5 megapixels. It was shot on a 5 megapixel cameraright? So, if you've ever wondered how megapixels work, mega meaning millions, that's what it means. So, in other words, if you have a 4 megapixel camera it means it's going to capture 4 million pixels. My 5 megapixels camera is capturing 5 million pixels and obviously the higher the megapixel value the more pixels you're capturing, which means the higher the quality of the image, right? OK. Now that out of the way, let's take a quick look at some of the other values that we have here. The Width of my image is a whopping 35 and a half inches by 26 and a half inches. Perfect for the billboard that I'm going to be creating with this image. Way too big for anything that I would ever need. But the Resolution is just 72 pixels per inch, or 72 PPI. Now, you might recall that I said that 72 is the value, the resolution, I would want to use for anything on screenright? Well, what if I want to use this image in my InDesign layout? Well, let's talk about that in just a minute. Before we get to that, though, I want to say this. If I were to print this file right now, all 35 and a half inches by 26 and a half inches, 72 pixels out of our 2560 pixel Width and 72 pixels out of our 1920 pixel Height would be printed for every 1 inch of paper. Does that make sense? So, for every 1 inch of paper I'm going to get 72 pixels, hence 72 pixels per inch, PPIright? OK. Now what I want to do is I want to start messing with this image a little bit. I'm going to take my Resolution - now don't forget, Resampling is off, right? So this is resizing without Resampling. I'm going to change my Resolution to just 10 pixels per inch and have a look at what that does to my image. Again, don't forget, the pixel values remain fixed. They remain unchanged, but check out the document size. It's now 256 inches by 192 inches. What does that mean? Well, what this means is that 10 pixels out of our 2560 pixel Width and 10 pixels out of our 1920 pixel Height is printed for every inch of paper. So now we'd only have 10 pixels per inch printing per every inch of paper. Does that make sense? I could make this image massive. I could make it 256 inches wide but only 10 pixels per inch are actually going to get printedright? OK. Let's change it up again. I'm now going to change the Resolution to 300 pixels per inch. Again, the Pixel Dimensions at the top are fixed, the document size is now 8 and a half by 6 and a half, so of course, this means now that for every inch of paper I'm going to have 300 pixels, right? So, what you need to remember, if this is all kind of going right over your head and it's not really making a whole lot of sense, what you need to remember is that an inch is a fixed unit of measurement, right, an inch is never going to change. It's always a fixed unitright? But to fit 10 pixels into an inch or to fit 300 pixels into an inch, so in other words, the size of the pixels is going to change depending on the Resolution. If I have too few pixels within an inch that means I'm going to get a pixelated image and a low quality image, right? Alright, so that's resizing without Resampling and I hope it makes sense and everything that I said earlier, you might want to review that. So again, we're not impacting the quality of our image, we're not degrading our image in any way, we're not changing the pixel count inside our image, either and if you can, you'll want to try and resize your images without Resampling. OK, with all of that out of the way, let's resize images with Resampling.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.