Well, I suppose we should have a discussion on saving files and understanding File Formats and all that good stuff. You know, I could probably talk about File Formats for about an hour and a half or two hours straight, but you'd be bored to death, so I'm going to try and give you the, sort of the short and sweet crash course on File Formats. I'm talking about JPEGs and TIFFs and when should I save my file as a GIF and when should I save my file as a PDF and all that kind of stuff. Now, I guess I should start the conversation here by saying, of course and this really goes without saying, but as you're working along in Photoshop save your work often. If Photoshop crashes or if your computer crashes, heaven forbid, you will lose all of your work and you can phone me and we can cry together, but there's really nothing that I can do to help you if you've lost your work, so save often. That goes without saying. I do want to say this, though, as we're going along and saving our work, Ctrl-S or Cmd-S by the way, is your Keyboard Shortcut. So every once in a while I just hit Cmd-S or Ctrl-S to save my work, but depending on the type of file that you're working on, for example, here we have Barn1.jpg, so it's a JPEG file. As I'm working along inside Photoshop and, you know, as you and I start getting into the deeper aspects of Photoshop, Layers and Alpha Channels and you know, Adjustment Layers and all this good stuff, if we save our JPEG, Photoshop is going to want to save our file as a Photoshop File, a .psd file. Why? Well, Photoshop's trying to help you out because not all File Formats support all optionsright? For example, a JPEG doesn't support Photoshop Layers. JPEGs don't support Photoshop Alpha Channels, eitherright? This kind of thing. So, Photoshop wants to make sure that your images remain as editable as possible, so you might see this every once in a while and that's really the only reason why I'm mentioning it, I just don't want you to get confused here. OK, how do I save my file into a different format? Very easy. Up to the File Menu here and then down to Save As. Now, of course, there are other methods for getting our stuff out of Photoshop and into other applications, but I'm just giving you the down and dirty here, so File, Save As and then, of course, from the Format drop-down menu at the bottom of the dialog box, this is where we see the huge laundry list of File Formats. Now, you know, I'm not going to go through every single one of these File Formats with you here. I think maybe what I'll do is I'll point out the highlights and I will kind of leave it at that and hopefully that'll be alright with you. So, the very first option that we have is a Photoshop File, as previously mentioned, a .psd Photoshop Document File, and this is Photoshop's native file format, so pretty much everything I can do inside Photoshop would remain editable inside a Photoshop Document, or a .psd. So, things like Layers, Alpha Channels, Adjustment Layers, Masks, all the good stuff, right? So, what I would suggest you do is keep your files in the Photoshop format while you're working on them and then if you need to post a version of your image online, for example, then save out a copy of your file in the appropriate File Format. If you need your image in a Print Layout and you need to save out a copy then save out a copy in a proper File Format so, in other words, you're always working from the same original sourceright? Anyway, there's the Photoshop native File Format, the first guy there. BMP, don't use it, otherwise I will come to your house and take away your computer. Don't use .bmps, they're terrible, they're low quality, they really shouldn't even exist. Anyway, we have CompuServe GIF. GIF and we have JPEG and PNG down toward the bottom. These guys are all siblings so, again, GIF, JPEG and PNG. These guys are our three primary File Formats, image File Formats, that we would want to use in Web Design. Now, I'll spare you the nuts and bolts beyond that, so JPEGs and PNGs and GIFs are used nearly exclusively online. But JPEGs are also used quite often, you know, when you're emailing friends the photos you took on your vacation, that kind of thing, so a JPEG is a really good File Format for just getting your stuff around, you know, whether it's through e-mail or onto Facebook, or this kind of thing. There's another File Format here called Photoshop EPS. I'm really not sure if this format is really even used anymore. We used to use this File Format a lot in the print world, back in the days of Quark Express, but I really don't think it's used that much anymore. But anyway, it is an option. You might see EPSs, .eps files, come up every once in a while. And, of course, everybody knows about PDF files. Now did you know that you could save out your images, your Photoshop documents as PDFs? Sure can. All you need to do is just choose Photoshop PDF from the drop-down menu here, click on Save and that's all she wrote. Then you can open up the file inside Acrobat or e-mail it to a co-worker and they can open it up inside Acrobat. Either the full Acrobat Editing software, or if they just have Acrobat Reader. It's great. OK, good stuff. I already mentioned PNG, or ping files, so I'll leave that. The last one that I want to mention is TIFF and again, a TIFF file is kind of like a, I will say, a more professional version of JPEG. It's a great way for getting your images around. I think of TIFF as like a Jeep. It's really rugged, it's durable, it's going to get you around but it's really more used in professional circles so if I wanted to send a print house my file and I want to make sure they can open it up I would send the file to them as a TIFF. Or if I'm going to get my photographer to send me some files I'm going to ask for TIFFs, because guaranteed I can open up his files inside Photoshop. OK. I just gave you the super fast run through. If you want to take a moment and try saving your file out under different File Formats, comparing file sizes and things like this, go for it. Myself, I'm just going to Cancel out of this dialog box.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.