OK, now that we've applied some commands to our image how can we now use History to step backwards in time and perhaps undo some of these effects? Well, it's actually really easy as it turns out, thankfully. What we can do here is if I want to get rid of the Brightness-Contrast command and go back to Angled Strokes, all I need to do is just single click on Angled Strokes and that removes the Brightness-Contrast. Or, I could go even further back in time by clicking on Dry Brush and that takes me all the way back to how my image looked after I applied the Dry Brush effect, right? So, the way that the History Panel is organized here is we have the beginning of the timeline, if you will - well, I kind of think of it as a timeline anyway - at the top and the ending of the timeline or the current location on the timeline, if you will, at the bottom of the Palette. So you know what I could do is I could use the History Palette for a couple of neat techniques. For example, maybe I want to get sort of a before and after look at my image after I apply some Color Correction or after I apply some effects, so here I'm on Brightness-Contrast again, I stepped forward in time just by clicking on the last History State as it's known, all of these blocks here are known as History States, or History Steps, if you will. So I'm all the way forward in time and what I want to do is I want to do this sort of before and after comparison so what I'll do is I'll click on the very first guy in the History Palette, this guy here, Barn1.jpg and that takes me all the way back to how my image looked when I first opened it. This guy at the top here is what's referred to as a Snapshot. Kind of something that I want you to keep in the back of your mind just for a moment, but I click on this Snapshot at the top of the History Panel, this is how my barn looked when I first opened it. Then what I could do is I could click back on the last History State, or the last History Step, here's my After. So, quite literally, Before and After. Before and After. Just like that and I go, oh, I don't know if I like it or not, or maybe I should back up a couple of steps, you know, this sort of thing, right? So you can do a lot of cool things here. You can step forward and backward in time, one step at a time, by using Keyboard Shortcuts. So give this a try. On the Windows side hold down Alt and Ctrl, on the Mac side here I'm going to hold down Option and Cmd and then hit your Z key on your keyboard and that will step you backward in time and you can see inside my History Panel that the States are reverting back to the previous stateright? So again, Ctrl and Alt on the Windows side, Cmd and Option here on the Mac. Now, if you want to step forward in time using your keyboard try this. On the Windows side hold down Ctrl and Shift, here on the Mac I'll hold down Cmd and Shift and then hit the Z key on your keyboard and that will allow you to step forward in time. OK, I've got to show you a couple of other neat things here. Let's say for example that I'm really happy with where things are looking here, with the last State here, the Brightness-Contrast. What I can do is I can save this position in my document. Let's say I'm working along on my image, maybe again, applying some effects or some color correction and I get to a point where I really like it but I might still tinker a little bit with the image. Well, I can save the current state, if you will, of my image, I can save it as this thing called a Snapshot. How do I do that? Well, what I'm going to do is I'm going to head up to the History Palette Menu in the top right corner and I'm simply going to choose New Snapshot and I get a dialog box here, the New Snapshot dialog box. You can throw a name in there if you want. I'm just going to leave the default here and I'll go ahead and click on OK and then now at the top of the History Palette we now have two Snapshots: the first guy there, the default, Barn1 and then Snapshot1. So, again, I can do this Before and After comparison if I want, which is kind of cool. So there you go. You can always save your History States as Snapshots, which is great. Now, a few other little tidbits that I want to bounce off you here related to History. I'm going to go all the way down to Brightness-Contrast here, the very last History State and then once again, from the History Menu what I'm going to do is I'm going to pop open the History Palette Menu I should say and then this time I'm going to choose New Document. And what this will do is this will create a new Photoshop file based on the current History State that I have selected here inside the History Palette. So, once again, back to the History Panel Menu there, I went and got out of mine, and I'll choose New Document and now I have a new file inside Photoshop. There are no History States, except this Default1 here, the duplicate state here and it's a completely new file that I can continue working on if I want. And the original Barn1.jpg is still open in the background, just click on your Document Tab there, you can see all the History States are there inside the History Palette all intact, which is awesome. I hope you're enjoying this. I hope you're really going to use History a lot. I use History a whole heck of a lot because I'm always making mistakes. Anyway, I hope this is all good for you here. I want to bounce one more thing off of you, kind of related to the issue of Undoing and he's kind of related to History as well, he's called Reverting, and I'll show you that really quickly in the next exercise.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.