OK, are you ready for it? Photoshop's Quick Mask Mode? I think you're really, really going to like this. A lot of people fall in love with the Quick Mask Mode. This is arguably the easiest way to create selections and masks inside Photoshop and the reason why it's so easy to work with is because we're going to be creating selections, or in our case here, refining a selection simply by painting with Photoshop's Paintbrush Tool. It's that easy. So you know, I wanted to show you the Color Range command in the previous exercise but normally when I'm showing this, I suggest to start with some kind of a selection. You could use the Magic Wand Tool or the Color Range command or really whatever you want, just to get a rough selection and we don't want it to be perfect because we're going to refine it in the Quick Mask Mode. So I hope you're ready for this. Alright, what I'd like you to do is hit the D Key on your keyboard and that will ensure that your foreground color is black and the background color is white and the next thing that I'd like you to do is either click on this button just below your color area there inside your Toolbox or simply hit the Q Key on your keyboard and that will flip you into Photoshop's Quick Mask Mode. Now, whether you know it or not, we're inside the Quick Mask Mode here. What happens is we lose all of our marching ants and the marching ants are replaced with this red-color overlay or this red rubilith and how it works is areas that are covered by this red rubilith are not selected and areas that appear normal, like most of my Buddha, are selected. Now, what's really cool here is as we're refining our selection and as we're fixing it up and making it perfect, we can flip back and forth between the Quick Mask Mode and the regular old Photoshop Mode just by tapping the Q Key on our keyboard. So there I'm back to marching ants, I'm back to the regular old Photoshop, hit Q again, now I'm back into the Quick Mask Mode. Alright, now during this process I should warn you there's going to be a lot of zooming in and out, there's going to be a lot of flipping between the regular Photoshop Mode and the Quick Mask Mode. There's going to be a lot of painting and erasing and things like this, so let's get started here. I'm going to hit the B Key on my keyboard and what that does is that flips me over to the Paintbrush Tool over inside the Toolbox and what I'm going to do is zoom in on my Buddha statue, nice and close, maybe something like this, 200 percent or maybe even a little bit closer and we have two areas that we need to touch up inside our image; the inside of the statue and the outside of the statue. So earlier if you recall, I said I didn't want the background selected at all so what I'm going to do here is I'm going to start filling in the background area with red. So in other words, I want the background area here to be completely filled in with red. So how do I do that? Well, how it works here and you'll definitely want to write this down because everybody always forgets this. When we paint with black, that's going to add to the red rubilith, thus removing or subtracting from our selection. Let me show you what I mean here. So I have black as my foreground color down in the color area of my Toolbox. I'm on my Paintbrush Tool. From the Options Bar up at the top I'm going to crank up my brush size nice and big, maybe around 40, 45 or 50, something like that and then what I'm going to do is I'm going to start painting and what happens here is you can see it. Appears that I'm painting in red, even though I have black as my foreground color swatch, right? So as I'm painting along here, maybe I'll just use sort of the edge of this book here, this is actually an Oxford English Dictionary here, something like this and then if I go back into the regular old Photoshop Mode, I'll just hit my Q Key again, that whole area is now filled in. So in other words, I just removed that entire area, the spine of this book, from my selection and again, this is painting with black. So again, painting with black adds to the red rubilith, the red overlay thus subtracting from the selection. OK, great. I hope we have that straight. I'm going to go back into the Quick Mask Mode just by tapping the Q Key on my keyboard and now what I'll do is I will switch and I'll start painting with white, which will subtract from the red rubilith, thus adding to the selection. Does that make sense? So painting with white is going to remove the red overlay, the red rubilith and add to my selection. So for example, I'm going to try doing the Buddha's face here and you can see there's some red in there. So that is areas that are not selected inside my statue. What I'm going to do is I'm going to hit the X Key on my keyboard and what the X Key does is it flips the foreground and background colors for me. So you want to make sure that white is in the foreground. So now we're going to be painting with white and all I'm going to do is paint over top of the Buddha's face. In fact I'm not even really being careful about it. I'm just kind of scribbling over top of his face, just kind of getting rid of all these red areas. Something like that. OK, now let's go and check our work here. I'm going to hit the Q Key on my keyboard again and all the marching ants; oh, looks like I missed a spot right over his eye there but most of the marching ants anyway that were in his face are now gone. Let me give you a better example. I just pan down here a little bit. There's some marching ants in here and he's wearing this beaded necklace here. I'll hit the Q Key. Sure enough I can see a lot of red in there. I'm just painting over top of that. Again, I'm painting with white to get rid of that red rubilith overlay, something like this. Alright, great. Just giving you a quick example here. Hit the Q Key, marching ants are gone. That's how it works.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.