Alright, now of course everything up until this point has been permanent, or as I've been referring to it, destructive. In other words, the levels, the curves, the brightness contrast, those auto commands, but I mean I've been saying that all along that they are permanent changes, they're destructive changes and for the longest time it seems I've been promising to show you how to non-destructively color correct your photos so I'm still on the same image, Road.jpg. What I've done here is I've went and closed out of my Histogram. I think you're comfortable with that. You can keep that open if you want but I close mine just for the sake of screen real estate and I also opened up my Layers Panel because a lot of what we're going to be doing is going to be happening inside the Layers Panel. So go ahead and fire open your Layers. Remember, F7 on your keyboard. Now, what I want to show you is something that's referred to as an Adjustment Layer and an Adjustment Layer is going to sit on top of our original photo, in our case here of course the Road. Now, there's two different ways to activate an adjustment layer and I'll show you both. What I can do is I could head down to the bottom of the Layers Palette to this menu right here, Create a New Fill or Adjustment Layer. Pop this guy open and what I see is a list of commands very similar to the list of commands we saw underneath the Image Menu, right? So there's our Brightness Contrast, Levels, Curves, Exposure, Hue Saturation and a few other favoritesright? And they're all in there. So in other words, everything that I see inside this list I can use on my image in a non-destructive fashion, which is great. So if I go and choose Levels for example and I'll go ahead and pick that guy, two things happen obviously. What happens first of all is the Adjustments Palette makes an appearance and inside the Adjustments Palette I have this tiny version, this is like a mini version of the Levels Command, so that happens and then the second thing that happens is over inside the Layers Palette I can see now I have a Levels Layers, that's my Adjustment Layerright? So I mentioned that there were two ways to go about getting into an adjustment layer. This is one way. Let me show you the second way before we actually get started working on this. So here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to take my Adjustment Layer here and I'll just drag him straight down to the Trashcan in the bottom-right corner of the Layers Palette. That takes me all the way back to where I started and check out the Adjustments Panel now. It kind of switched views, didn't it. This is sort of the front-end view if you will of the Adjustments Panel and what I could do, if I were starting from scratch, if I started recording this lesson over again with you and I wanted to show you the second method first, what I would have you do is head to the Window Menu and then go and open up Adjustments and this is what we would see here. Now, inside the Adjustments Panel I have all of my color correction tools but now they're being displayed as icons. So I have my Brightness Contrast, Levels, Curves, we have Exposure and a bunch of othersright? They're all in here and essentially what I would do is I would click on the Color Correction Command that I want to invoke as an adjustment layer. So I'm going to use the Levels once again here. So in this first row I'm just going to go ahead and click on the Levels Icon and essentially it brings me right into the exact same place where you and I were just a second ago. So I'm back into my mini Levels if you will and I have the adjustment layer over inside the Layers Palette. Now, in terms of actually working with your adjustment layer, all I would do is make all of my changes inside the Adjustments Panel. So everything that we've talked about applies here. Drag the dark point or your black point into the foothills. Same with the white guy there. I can use my Eyedroppers if I want. I've got my Auto option as well and of course my Drop-Down Menu for my different channels if I want to isolate my channels. So it's really all the same stuff. It's just all kind of compressed or compacted down into the Adjustments Panel. So it's kind of cool. So you know what I'm going to do, just for the sake of time is I'm going to click on Auto here and I really like that result. I'm really happy with the result that the Auto option is giving me. But you know, I go, you know, I'm not sure if I like this a hundred percent. Maybe I should try Curves instead. So what I'm going to do is over inside the Layers Palette is I'm going to disable the visibility of my adjustment layer and that takes me all the way back to where I started, which to me is beyond awesome. That's like the coolest thing ever. So in other words, I could have multiple versions of the same image with not only different color corrections applied to them, but imagine different special effects. Let me show you what I mean. I could come back down to the bottom of the Layers Palette and I could choose Curves or I could choose Brightness Contrast, but instead I could choose let's try Posterize. Now OK, now I'm getting this kind of an effect. Kind of reminds me of album cover form the 1970s. But anyway, so I'll drop this way down and I'll go yeah, that's kind of cool. I like that and then I'll turn that adjustment layer off, we'll turn his Visibility off and then I'll go back down to my menu, down at the bottom of the Layers Palette and then this time I'll choose Threshold and now I can mess around with this kind of an effect and then maybe I could apply a color overlay and on and on and on and on and it's all built into the same Photoshop file. So in other words, at this point I could save this guy out as JPEG, then turn off the Threshold Layer, turn on Posterize, save that out as a JPEG, turn that guy off, turn Levels back on, save this guy out as JPEG. Now I have three different versions of the same image all coming off of the same fully-editable Photoshop file. So that's what adjustment layers are really all about. They're extremely cool.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.