I've been dying to show you a color correction command here in Photoshop called Levels and you know, I wanted to get into non-destructive color correction as well, sort of in combination with showing you Levels but you know, I think that might be a bit too much. I might be hitting you with too much all at once. So we'll talk about the non-destructive color correction in just a little bit but until then, let's talk about this command called Levels. Now, before we get into Levels, I want to make sure of a couple of things. First of all, make sure that you still have your Histogram Palette open. I want to show you something very cool in relation to your histogram. The other thing that I'll have you do is hit the F Key on your keyboard so that we can move our photo around because the Levels Dialog Box is actually kind of big and what I'm going to do is sort of shift my photo over towards the left-hand side of my screen. I'm just holding down the spacebar there to move that over. Alright, something like that. OK, Levels. Let's head up to our Image Menu and then down to Adjustments and then of course look for Levels. There's your keyboard shortcut, Command L or Control L on the Windows side. Go ahead and pop open your Levels Dialog Box. Alright, now at first glance things are getting a little bit more complicated in terms of our dialog boxes here but low and behold, inside our Levels Dialog Box we have a histogram. In fact, we have the exact same histogram inside the Levels Dialog Box that you and I see back inside the Histogram Panel or the Histogram Palette down in the background. So it's exactly the same thing. Now, here's what I want to do though is I want to start shifting the colors inside my photo. Again, my photo of this dirt road is looking really washed out so essentially what I want to do is I want to set my black point, as it's referred to and I also want to set my white point. Remember way back when, Photoshop automatically set our white and black points for us when we used the Auto Commandsright? And that little experiment that you and I did with those gray boxes, this is exactly what I'm talking about. So essentially what I want to do is I want to try and shift or I want to try and clip some of my pixels and force them into the darker areas of my photo. So this is what I'm going to do here. On the left-hand side, sort of the bottom-left side of the histogram that appears inside the Levels Palette, we have a black arrow and then over towards the right we have a white arrow and in the middle we have a gray arrow. So we have black, we have white or we have shadows and highlights and also midtones, right? So what I'm going to do is I'm going to grab my black arrow and I'm going to drag him into the histogram, way over into the histogram this way, right? Now, a whole bunch of things happened. Let me try and slow things down here a little bit. What's happened here is I've basically said any pixels from this point in my histogram and any that appear towards the left, so all of the pixels from the black arrow to the left, I want them to be pure black. So what I've done is I've remapped them if you will. I've shifted them. Just like we shifted 75 percent gray to a hundred percent black, right? And the other thing that's happened as well is check out the Histogram Palette. This is why I wanted you to keep your Histogram Palette open by the way, is in the background of the Histogram Palette almost you can see the original histogram there in gray and then overlayed on top you can see the new histogram. So what I've done here is I've just shifted a whole bunch of pixels down towards the left side of the histogram, creating this, sort of this peak on the graph, right? OK, let's do the same with the white point. So what I'll do is I'll grab my white arrow and I'll push him towards the left, into the histogram, something like this and of course what I'm doing there now is I'm setting the white point. So what I've done here is I've said any pixels that appear on this point on the graph or at this point inside my image and any that appear from this point and to the right, all now become pure white, right? So again, what we've done here is we've done a color shift. We've pushed the pixels. We've remapped the color if you will. Now, ideally in the real world what you would do is you would take your White Slider and bring him into the foothills of your histogram on the right-hand side and same with the dark side, same with your black point. Bring him into the foothills of the histogram as well and because I have my Preview Check Box turned On inside the Levels Dialog Box, you can see my image looks ten times better. Again, remember earlier I said you'll be amazed at what we can actually do with this image. Look at all the color we resurrected from the dead out of this image, right? And again, if you want that before and after look, just click on your Preview Check Box there. The colors were there. They were just all washed out. We needed to pull them back out. We needed to draw them back outright? So anyway, what we've done is we've remapped the white and the black points inside our image. We have a new histogram that's happening inside the Histogram Palette you can see there. Now, there's a few other things that I want to show you as well in regards to the Levels Dialog Box so we'll continue this discussion on the Levels Dialog Box, the Levels Command in the next exercise.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.