Vanishing Point has been upgraded alongside of Photoshop CS3. And what we're gonna do is learn how to use this great plug-in. And it comes, by the way, built in with Photoshop and is located under the filter menu, which is right here. Vanishing Point. Here is a 3-D model that I created in LightWave and I took a snapshot of it and this is going to be our cereal box template. What we're going to do after we learn how to use Vanishing Point is to take this delicious cereal box, which is VTC Crunch Corn Flakes. They're 100 percent natural and it stays crisp forever. We're going to take this and map it onto this box so we can have a prototype to show an art department. So let's go ahead and look at Vanishing Point and look at some of the tools you'll need to learn so that you can take full advantage of this great tool. So, let's go to our filter menu and choose Vanishing Point. In a moment, a dialog box appears and it's pretty large and the first thing I'm going to do is grab the zoom tool or the magnifier tool and I'm going to hold down on my keyboard the alt or option key and click one time to zoom out just so I can see everything. Now let's go ahead and talk about some of the tools. By the way, most of them would be, uh, ghosted out until we actually have some kind of plane or grid drawn in our workspace. And that's how Vanishing Point works. It allows you to draw a 3-D grid, which will have lines on it like so and you'll see in a minute that you can map artwork on it. And let's go ahead and get started with this tool right here, which is our create plane tool. Now, just to reiterate, a plane is simply a flat surface, so a floor, for example, is a plane. So is your wall. And in LightWave I created this box based on one plane and I simply extruded it. So I'm going to click right here to set my first point. Notice that I'm not dragging. I'm just moving my mouse around like so. And I'm going to click right here, trying to follow the perspective of this box. And I'm going to come down here, click, and I'm going to come over here and finish this plane. Now that we have a plane, you'll notice that the tool that automatically lights up is this guy right here, which will allow you to edit the plane. So we can grab a corner handle and resize the plane and manipulate it. You'll also notice that as I move my mouse slowly, you see three different colors. Blue and red and yellow. Whenever you see the red grid, that means that Photoshop is not going to be able to negotiate whatever you're trying to do here. So this will not be good as a useful vanishing point. Whenever you see yellow, that means Photoshop is going to try it's very best to, uh, incorporate your image in the vanishing point and it might not look great, but it's going to try. And last but not least, we have blue, which is where you really want to be. This is the optimal 3-D grid. Now, I just see here we have a grid that's going this way. But what if you want to go this way? Well, what you could do is grab this handle to continuing going in one direction, but if you want to bend things around in perpendicular fashion, you have to hold down either the command or control key, click, and then move your mouse and check that out. You're now drawing in 3-D. So now we have a plane that's going this way as well as this way. Let's talk about some of the other tools here. We have our rectangular marquee tool and what I could do is draw a perpendicular, or rather a perspective, how cool is that, a perspective marquee that follows the shape of your grid. So I'll go ahead and accept that and I'll grab a brush tool and you'll also notice, by the way, we have a rubber stamp tool, we also have the transform tool, we have our eyedropper tool and a hand tool. Tools that you've seen in the regular Photoshop interface. You'll also notice that we have a lot of brush controls so we can control the size of the brush with the diameter, the hardness of the brush or the softness of the brush, the opacity and several options such as heal off, luminous and on. We can also choose our brush color. So I'm going to choose the color swatch. I'm going to choose a red color. And with my brush I can literally paint in perspective right on the marquee that I have selected here. How cool is that? I can also undo several times image interface. So I'm going to undo a couple time to get rid of that and to get rid of this marquee I'll press command or control D for deselect. And we can also use the eyedropper tool, so if we have another color in there that we want to emulate, you just have to click on the eyedropper tool, select a color and then you can pretty much paint with that somewhere else in your interface. And we have our hand tool, which works in the same way as the space bar. So if we really zoomed in, we could really move this around. Let me go a head and do that for you right now with our hand tool. We can move around in our image like so. Once again, space bar does the same exact thing. So let me go ahead and zoom back out and these are the basic tools that are in the Vanishing Point filter. And what we're going to do next is we're going to learn how to actually map the image of the cereal box onto this artwork.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.