Layer styles are built in special effects that you can apply to selected images or objects in Photoshop and what you can do with those layer styles is change them at any time so your never stuck. They also are a great alternative to creating special effects such as glows and drop shadows that you could normally create on your own but why bother when the computer will help out. So as you see here in this image I have a background layer and nothing's happening because this is the default and it's usually locked in. You see this little FX well this is for our layer styles and they are locked because we don't have anything selected. So what I'm gonna do is I'm gonna create a new layer and then I'm going to with my rectangular marquee tool I'm simply gonna draw out a shape like so. And then I'll go to edit and I will just go ahead and fill that guy in with my foreground color which in this case is blue. OK so that is done and now what I'm gonna do is I'm gonna deselect that because you really don't have to have the object selected. Just make sure you have some kind of pixels on a unlocked layer. Now what I can do is I'm gonna grab my move tool, move it up here and now I'm gonna go to this little FX here and I'm gonna choose drop shadow. The layer styles dialog box will appear and it's pretty big and you can see that automatically it adds a drop shadow when I move this over. It's hard to see it but you can use 00:01:10 ] this angle here to move the drop shadow and I'm gonna show you a trick that's really gonna make your life a lot easier when it comes to drop shadows. Don't use this angle just go ahead put your mouse in the document itself and click and drag and now you can move that around yourself. And what I can do with this layer style is I can also change the blend mode for the shadow and as you can see here we have a ton of them and I'm gonna leave it at multiply. But I'm also gonna click on the swatch here so I can change the color and when I move my mouse out into the window I can choose this blue and I can go back to my selection here and move this down as far as the color itself. So I'll go ahead and move this down just a darker color, that blue and I can drop the opacity down to make it a lot less uh powerful. Another uh thing I can do with this drop shadow is I can increase the size of it and that softens it up quite a bit. I can also play around with the spray and that makes it larger or smaller as you see here and also makes it harder again. So what I could do is I have to adjust either the spray and the softness and the size as I work with this. And once again the softness is really indicated by the opacity so I can really you know get this nice soft shadow. Another cool thing I can do is I can play around with the contour of that shadow so I have a lot of options here as to how that shadow is gonna be drawn in the work space there. I can also anti alias that to get a nice smoother shadow or I can also apply some noise to get some random jitter of the pixels which looks kind of cool. I'm gonna go ahead and keep the anti alias going but I'm not gonna put in any noise. Now that's one layer so I'm gonna accept that and show you something. I'm gonna go ahead and click A or rather accept and you'll notice that in my layers I now see that I have a layer style, it's the effects and it tells me the kind of, of effect. Now the cool, thing about this is I can always double click on this drop shadow to change it and the dialog box will appear and I can change the color of the drop shadow and I can change some of the other parameters. click OK and look at it, it changes for me. So I can also if I want to hide that effect so I don't have to get rid if I don't like it just go ahead and hide it and I can also collapse this so I don't have to see what's going on in that exact layer. Another cool thing about layer styles, I copy them and paste them onto new objects. So I'm gonna create a new layer, I'm gonna create, this time I'll create an ellipse and I'll put it over here and I'm gonna change my uh fill color here. Let's see I got a yellowish, gold thing going, I'll go to edit, fill OK and I'm gonna deselect that and check this out I'm gonna go back to my original layer here, layer one, you see that? And I'm going to right click and I'm gonna go to the bottom here copy, layer style, and then I'm gonna collapse that. I'm gonna go to layer two, right click and I'm gonna choose paste later style. And now what I'll do is I'll move this circle up so you can see that, that green glow is on there. How cool is that? So I just copied and pasted that layer style and the beauty is I can still edit this layer style independently of the original. So I'll go to drop shadow, I'll change that color to uh purplish, click OK, and now I have that same ef, effect applied but I can still edit it independently of the original. Now as you see in that layer style dialog box there are quite a few in there so what I would advise you to do is spend sometime getting to know them. Each one of them has its own set of parameters so that is why I suggest you really get in here and see what they can do because you see we have an inner shadow, we have an outer glow and of course you can increase the size of that glow and this is a very useful technique, I use that all the time. To create a sun or a moon and you can make them softer, you have an inner glow which is the opposite of outer glow where the glow is coming from the inside. Once again you can increase the size, you have a bevel and emboss, you can change how that works. You have satin, color overlay, gradient overlay, pattern overlay and stroke. Now one more thing I want to say before leaving this particular lesson it's common that people you know go to a layer style and they go to the parameters of one and forget to actually click on it so that the overlay or whatever the effect is, is actually highlighted. So if your on drop shadow by and you know you put on another one of these effects and you want to change those parameters, you won't be able to unless you are actually on the words themselves. So make sure you're on in a shadow or on outer glow to get the tools that you need to change how that effect works.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.