If you guys check out any of the magazines currently in the bookstores like the arts magazines that I mention in my resources section you'll find that a lot of people use Photoshop to create all kinds of artwork. From painting to textures it's amazing. And they are doing a lot of this artwork because they are able to change how their brush works to suit their needs and that is all a function of brush dynamics. If we go to the window menu and select brushes you'll notice that we get this panel and it has a lot of options as far as how we paint. So I'm gonna move this window over a little bit and let's talk about the brush dynamics. The first thing we are gonna talk about is of course the brush tip shape. The first thing you do is change the brush that you want to work with. So you can choose any brush, it can be hard or soft because it doesn't really matter. Then we can, what we can do at this point is uh change the diameter of the brush interactively. So we are changing the thickness or the thinness of that brush. We can also change the angle of that brush by using this guy right here and we can also control the roundness of the brush by clicking here. What we can also do is change any size brush, any of the shapes here and work with all of them and keep our eye down here and get a preview. Now let's take a look at what spacing is. If I leave the spacing as it is and I paint with my mouse I can manually create my own spaces by just moving my mouse up and down on my mouse pad or on my Wacom tablet. What spacing will do for you is it will change the repeat pattern of the brush by simply allowing you to use the slider and then painting and then just keeping your mouse down and moving it around. It will add the space for you so you can create dotted lines, you can create the uh the, the lines in a highway and that kind of thing. So let me undo that. Our next category is shape dynamics and with shape dynamics we can control the size jitter and jitter simply is another word for randomness. We can change how we control our brush stroke. As mine says I am using a brush pressure, so I have a Wacom tablet so I am able to control the shape of the brush and the power of the brush with the pen pressure alone. I can also use fade, pen tilt and a stylus wheel. I can control the master diameter of my brush and the minimum diameter. I can control the angle jitter, the roundness jitter and other options. Now we have scattering and scattering is another way of once again using some sort of jitter to change our brush. So let me go back to the brush presets first of all and just choose a bigger brush so we can see what's happening here. So I'm gonna go to scatter and I'm gonna increase the amount of scatter and as you see it does as it says. It jitters it but it scatters it at the same time. So you can have it on one axis or both axis and have it scatter on the X as well as the Y, And this is X and this is Y, up and down. Once again we can control how we are gonna work with this tool, we can increase the counts of the scatter so we have more. We can also control the count jitter. I'm gonna turn that off. We can also enable a texture on our brush which is very cool. We can scale the texture that we select, we can choose a texture from the list or a texture that we create on our own. And once you create a texture or use a texture you can scale it up and you can invert that texture. You can also texture each tip. You can use a mode here and you can control the depth of the brush itself. Let's turn that guy off and go to dual brush. Dual brush is exactly as it sounds, your able to paint with more then one brush at a time. So I can choose this brush here, I'll increase the diameter and the spacing and the scatter. And I can also choose another brush such as texture, so I'll go ahead and choose a texture here, I'll use these bubbles and I can increase the scale of those bubbles or reduce the scale of those bubbles and I am able to paint with both of those guys at the same time based on the settings in each one of them. Let's turn the dual brush off and the texture and now let's talk about color dynamics. The first thing I'll do is change my background swatch to a different color here. So I'll get a green, I'll get a blue and what I can do is enable a foreground, background jitter so I can increase this jitter size. I'm also going to increase the size of my brush so we can see what it looks like more clearly and I'll paint. As you see here the brush is changing from the foreground to the background color. You see some greens in there, you see some of the blue in there and it's, you can also control the hue jitter, the saturation jitter. Let me go ahead and increase the saturation, the brightness and the purity. So I'm going to delete all this and show you what these will do. So I'm changing the saturation as well as the hue with that brush. Very, very cool indeed. Other options available to you in brush dynamics and by the way there's, there is so many of them you can, you can spend all day here. You can affect the noise of the brush, you can add wet edges, you can have a more watercolor or painterly effect. You can have a airbrush and you can protect your texture. If you like the brush you created you don't have to go "Aw man I have to come back here tomorrow and do this thing again." No my friend you don't. You save your brush presets. You simply create your brush and call it whatever you want it to and you can save it and you can always access your brush from your list over here. And normally it would be on the bottom of the list as you see here I have some feet that I created earlier. So once again the brush dynamics is where you want to go to create your own custom brushes. You can also load brushes created by other people as well as save brushes so that people can use the brushes that you create. It is a very hand way of working with brushes in Photoshop CS3.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.