If you are ready for a very powerful set of tools to help you manipulate and create some color and brightness changes, check out the curves. Under image menu>adjustments, choose curves - brings up our curves dialog box. Well, what's going on in this curves dialogue box is essentially that we can control this graph, which controls the input values. And the input values are along this horizontal axis. Versus the output values, which are along this vertical axis. And you can see that my curves dialogue box has this straight line, indicating that currently we have no change in our input values versus output values. The lower left-hand corner is our dark value, and the top right hand corner is the brightness value. We can switch this if you wish by clicking on this button, to swap the bright for dark values. Curves allow you to add anchor points and drag them up or down to edit the brightness values for this particular region. So right now, you can see that I am brightening my light values, and I'll go down to my dark values and add an anchor point, and click and drag to drag that down. So effectively what I have done is made my image look more contrasty. So you can see that if we follow the logic here, my input values along this axis have been adjusted so that they are much brighter on the output values. I am going to reset this by going over to my cancel button and holding down the option key and clicking reset. And show you another nice feature of the curves dialogue box. I could actually go into my image and press down on my mouse and drag around and see where that particular value would fall along my curve line. So it makes sense if I go into my dark trees that the values there are further down the curve, and if I drag around my lighter hills, the values are much higher up on the curve. Well, what I can do is actually add that anchor pointu so that I can adjust it at a later time. I'm going to command click on those hills to add an anchor point for that curve. And one nice feature of curves of course is you can affect the entire image by as I said increasing the brightness values and decreasing the darkness values this way. But another nice feature is I can actually affect just a portion of my image's values. And so what I am going to do is I am going to drag off this anchor point off my graph to get rid of it. What I want to do here is make my brighter values brighter, but not effect the dark values. So what I'm going to do is add an anchor point and drag it up, you can see I can do that. And then I'm going to add an anchor point from my middle values and drag it right down to the middle value section there, and I am going to add another anchor point by clicking and dragging and attempt to straighten out the line from my middle values all the way down to black. So I'll go ahead and say ok to this. And now notice that the hills or wherever that is a light value such as this lighter area down here and the hills have been lightened. But the dark trees are unaffected, and I'll go ahead and choose command + 'Z' to undo that. And notice how just the bright values are affected but the dark values are unaffected. So I'll go ahead that before the curves adjustments were applied, go back to the image menu, adjust my curves and talk about some other options that we have with curves. Currently I've been using this particular mode. Notice at the bottom of my curves dialogue box I have two buttons - this is the anchor point mode or I could choose the pencil mode. And if I choose pencil mode, I can go back into my curves graph here and draw a graph. And notice what it looks like when I do that, it's a little bit jagged. If it is jagged you can press the smooth button, and it will begin to smooth out that curve effect. And at any time if you want to edit individual anchor points, click back on the anchor point mode. For instance, if you want to get rid of any of these anchor points, just click and drag it off your curve graph. I'm going to reset this and I want to also point out that like the levels dialogue box, we do have options for creating auto color corrections. If you click on options, you can simply auto color correct by choosing some of these options which I spoke about in the lesson on levels. And like levels, we could also choose to pick our black point or white point by choosing one of these eyedropper tools. And remember when you do this, since black or white has no hue associated with it, when you choose something such as the set white point, if your image does have a hue or color cast to it, it will neutralize it. Another cool feature of curves is that I can create special effects if you will. I could actually go into individual channels of my document, say the red channel by going up to the channel pull down menu, and effect just the values to my red channel. And if you wish, you can make some very dramatic adjustments and create some very interesting special effects. I'm going to reset that, and just create that effect that lightens the light values but not the dark values. And talk about one more valuable feature of curves. And for what its worth, this is also available on the levels. And now notice that I have created a perfect straight line for my middle values or darker, but have lightened the lighter values. One of the nice features of using many of these color adjustment tools is I can save out this particular adjustment by clicking save. And it will save out this particular adjustment as a small file that I can then load when I want to edit some other images. So if you had several images that you wanted to apply this exact same effect, this will be a nice way to create the effect on one image, save that file and then you don't have to adjust it on the next one, you just need to go and load that file. So I'll just go ahead and save this. I'll call it lighter hills and it appends this special file name. And I'll just save it on the desktop.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.