Now in the InDesign Beginning tutorial I talked about Master Pages. I'll just do a quick recap here. Hopefully you're familiar with them. And basically a Master Page is a page where you put items that you want repeated on multiple pages. You want to go to your Master Page. There's a couple of ways to get there. One is come down to the bottom here where you have the Page Numbering and go to Master. It's called A-Master, this one here. Or alternatively, from your Pages Panel you can come up here and simply double-click on the Master like that. That's sometimes easier in a long document where you may have to scroll down quite a bit here. Now I've only got 10 pages here, so it's not too bad one way or the other. Now everything here on this Master Page gets repeated on pages I apply it to, so if I go up, let's say, to Spread 2 or 3 here and you can see that I cannot click on any of these items that are on the Master Page. If I go into Preview Mode or Normal Mode should I say, then when you zoom in here you can see that items on the Master Page are identified by a dotted frame as opposed to the solid frame for items on this page. As I said, I can't select them. However, I can remove them from the Master Page or release them would be a better word, by holding down Cmd-Shift or Ctrl-Shift and clicking on the item, notice how it doesn't have a dotted frame now. It actually has a solid frame so it's separated from any control on the Master Page. I'm going to undo that because I do want this locked there. So that's just a quick recap. We've got the Page Numbering, it's on the Master Page. That's a sensible place to put it. I have got these numbers rather large here just for the purposes of this tutorial so that you can see the different pages we're on as we move from one to the other. So now that we've recapped the Master Pages we'll take a look at some of the more advanced features by looking at Multiple Master Pages. Let me just center the Spread on the page, Cmd-Shift-zero or, oh, Cmd-Option-zero or Ctrl-Alt-zero, that's the way to do it and we'll just take a look at this Peppers catering menu here. It starts off with a couple of appetizers. Double-click here it goes down to Entrees, more Entrees, and it finishes with an Entre, a dessert, and coffee drinks which we'll consider a dessert. So we're going to use this as an example. What we're going to do is create different Master Pages so that we can apply easily recognizable items on it that will differentiate the different menu items here. So, I'm just going to go over to my Master Pages. I'm going to double-click on it here, just scroll over so that you can see both of them. Now, it's important you select both of them because there's a left-hand one and a right-hand one, they are different. In this case, because it's a Spread, I'll hold down the Shift and click on this one. I'm going to make this window a little bit bigger just by moving it down like that. And one of the simplest ways to duplicate a Master is just drag it down here like this onto the new Master like this. Like that. If I just came down and clicked New Masters I would just come in with an individual page. I don't want that so I'll undo that one. So, by duplicating it I have all the items that were on the original Master. It gives it the name automatically B Master. It'll just go A, B, D, C, D, E. It's something you can actually change but we'll look at that in the next movie. Anyway, for this one here what I'm going to do is I'm just going to choose the Sidebars here. I'll hold down the Shift key and select both of them, come over, and I'm going to make this one red like that. I'll make it the red we have from our Color Palette. And I'm going to apply these to the Entrees. So let me come up here. So then I'll scroll down. The first two items were Appetizers so we'll leave those with a black sidebar, and then we can down and apply these sidebars to these pages. So I'll just drag the left icon in this one, the right icon on this one. Let me zoom out a little bit here. I'll go to 50 percent so that you can see both Spreads at the same time a little better like that. So, now these are clearly identified. We'll come over and do the same here. We can apply the left and the right separately like that, or you can actually hold down both of them like this and just drag them onto the Spread. It works the same way. So they're both selected, just hold down the Shift key to select the other one. Coming down here we'll select this one, and in this case I just want the right-hand Master but as I have both selected I only drag this one on here and it turned red. Now I'm want another color for Dessert. So I'll just go up here, double-click here, select both of them again, drag them down, and then I'll have the C-Master. So I'll select this one and this one, come over, drag down here and let's make this one green. Olive green like that. Go back to our Pages, go to Spread 8 and 9, and this is a right-hand page so I'll just drag the right-hand one onto it and the left-hand page for the final page, and there we have it separated. Now obviously I could go into this menu here, or this Master, should I say, and perhaps do Desserts like this, and I'll select it. Choose the font that we've been using here, Cochin, where is it? There we go. And we'll choose Bold Italic and we'll make it, let's say 18 points so that - well, make it even bigger just so that we can actually see it on the page, 24 points like that, and we can put Desserts, maybe down here at the bottom. Hold down Cmd-Option- or Ctrl-Alt-Shift to put it on the other side, and Right Justify it, Cmd-Shift-R for right. There we go. So we've got Desserts there. Now when we come back to Page 8 and 9 you can see that that's in there and this is in here. So obviously we'd want to go through to the individual Masters and customize them for whatever section we needed here. And that's Multiple Master Pages. You can have as many of these as you want and, as I said, they're probably better for long documents than shorter documents. Now in the next movie we'll get into some even better ways of creating your Master documents.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.