In this chapter I'm going to talk about customizing InDesign. Now there's a lot you can do with the Interface to customize it to your own personal needs and we'll go through it over the next few movies. I'm going to start off with the Preferences. Now if you're on the PC you'll go to the Edit Menu and the Preferences will be located down here at the bottom. However, on the Mac you pull down the InDesign Menu and then you go into the Preferences. However, Mac and PC, once you go into the dialog box they're exactly the same, just how you get there is a tad different. Now there's an awful lot here. As we scroll down you can see there's Panels and Options about everything here. I'm not going to go through these one by one because I'll probably put myself to sleep never mind you, but some of them we've already seen if you watched the Beginning Tutorial on InDesign. For example, Spelling, we went through that, and other ones we'll be going through as we go through the tutorial. So I'm just going to cover the first two and the object here is to give you an idea of what is in the Preferences and how you can change it as opposed to showing you absolutely everything. So, anyway, let's start up here with the Page Numbering. Here, if I pull down this Menu, you have two choices: Absolute Numbering and Section Numbering. So I'm just going to Cancel out of here and go over to my Pages Panel here and see how the numbers go. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Let's make them a little bit bigger for this option here. Again this is something else that really is customizing as well, you can see the numbers there. However, if I go into Preferences, General, Section Numbering, click on OK and then pull out this Panel you can see it goes 1, 2, and then it changes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 in lowercase Roman Numerals and that's because we created a Section here on this and if we go to the Section Numbering option here you can see that we're starting the numbering on this particular page and using Roman Numeral styles. So you can have these pages show either way. Let me just go back and change it here back to Absolute Numbering, click on OK and when I pull out this Menu you can see that after Page number 2 there's a comma and that just indicates that there's a change in the Section Numbering here. So that's one of the things you can do there. If we go back into our Preferences here and we go to our General tab you can choose how it embeds the fonts here. This is a huge number - 2000 glyphs within a font - some fonts do have that many, but not many do, so if a font is larger than this in the number of glyphs it has it won't include all the fonts, it'll just include 2000 of the characters so that's what that is. I've never had to change that one. Here we have a new one in InDesign CS5 and that's the Prevent the Selection of Locked Objects. So, it's selected, so if I come down and select this one, go to my Object Menu and choose Lock Object here, and come over I can't click on it, it's not there for all intents and purposes as far as the mouse is concerned. This is a change in InDesign CS5. You used to be able to select it. If you liked the way it was in the previous versions you can go back in, turn this off, click on OK, and that way you can select this. You can't really do anything to it, you can't move it, you can't resize it, but you can select it. And this was done because a lot of people complained that it really wasn't locked because if you'd nothing selected and you drew a marquee like this you'd end up selecting a locked object. So let's go back to our General Preferences here. I'll turn this back on because I like the new way a lot, and we'll take a look at When Scaling. We've got two choices here: Apply to Content, Adjust Scaling Percentage. So I'll just click on OK here and if I select this, let's take a look at this box here in the Control Panel. This is our Scaling Proportions here and if I just scale it here like this you can see it's 135 percent, click away, click back, it's 135 percent of the original size we placed it. Let me undo that, take it back to 100. Then I'll go back into my Preferences, General, and I'll change it over. I'll choose Apply to Content. Click on OK, select it, 100 percent, scale it. This time I'll go down a little bit. Select it, still 100 percent. Come back here, click on it, it's always 100 percent. So with this option it just resets it every time, however, this is just the frame. If I double-click in here and click on the Content, the Content is always scaled. I've effectively got the Selection Tool selected here by double-clicking on it. So, the Content will always be scaled relative to its original but if we go into our Preferences and look at Apply to Content it'll never change. If you want it to always change choose this option here. One last option in the General dialog box is to Reset All Warning Dialogs. So, you know, when you click on something that says: Are you sure you want to do this?, or this is going to happen - if you've turned them off and you find that you actually really like the warnings because sometimes it helps. One that I like is Overset Text when you're going to Print because you're missing something sometimes. You can always reset them by clicking here. We will take a look at the Interface Panel in the next movie and that's the last one we'll do in these Preferences and we'll, as I said, we'll just take a look at these other ones as we go through the tutorial as is appropriate.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.