As with most applications these days you have some kind of Tools Panel or Palette and Illustrator is no different. Our Tool Panel lives over here, by default on the left-hand side of the screen and, of course, you can just tear it off by grabbing the gray bar and put it where you want. I can even redock it somewhere else by clicking on the bar and moving it until I see a blue line up here. When I see that blue line I let go and the tools live there now. Tear it off again and now these guys are both attached. In the case of a Super Panel like this, you click on the little serrated line here. I can tear that off and tear the tools off as well. If you go too far and you mess up, just simply go back to the name of your Workspace and click on it and everything goes back to normal. You really can't mess up too badly. OK, so let's take a look at the most commonly used tools inside of Illustrator. The first are the two Arrows. The Black Arrow is called the Selection Tool. With the Selection Tool you can literally click on things and move them around, resize them, rotate them and so on. Unlike the Selection Tool, we have a White Arrow called the Direct Selection Tool. This tool helps us to manipulate the points of an object. I'll give you a quick example. I'll grab the Black Arrow. First of all, I'll give this guy a color and with this arrow I can click on the middle of my shape or object and move it around. With the White Arrow I can click on the very edge here until I see a little point light up like so and I can click and I can manipulate the components or the points of this object. This tool does not do that so, once again, this guy is really for moving things around or rotating them, stuff like this, so you could put your cursor at the end or, the tip of a corner, rotate, put it in the sides here on the handles and you can scale as well. We have a Lasso Tool which helps you to select things but, of course, you could do the same thing with this tool, alright, the difference is, of course, you can grab points with this tool, so you can select these two points with the Lasso and you can then move them around with the White Arrow. Typically I don't even use this tool because I can do the same thing with the White Arrow. I simply draw a boundary and I can click and move it where I want. So, I don't use this Lasso Tool at all, not really. The Pen Tool allows us to create Vector Paths and I will talk about how to use this elsewhere in the tutorial. The Type Tool, of course, we can write type. We have some Align Tools where we can create straight lines and we can create things like arcs. OK, currently we can't see them because we have no Stroke on them, so now you can see the arc. We have some Polygon Tools and Shapes in here so we can create things like Rectangles, Rounded Rectangles, Ellipses, Stars and Flares. They have a Paintbrush Tool, which is just a Brush Tool, Pencil and the Blob Brush. The Blob Brush is different from the Paintbrush and I'll talk about that in specifics later on in the tutorial as well, so definitely check that out. I think you'll like the Blob Brush, it's one of my favorites. We have an Erase which gives us the ability to erase inside of our objects, as you could see there. We have our Rotate Tool which is pretty much the same as clicking with the Black Arrow and moving to one of the corners here until you see the double arrow, so I don't really use the Rotate Tool too much unless I need to move a Pivot Point. We have a Scale Tool and, once again, I scale with this guy as well. We also have some new tools. We have a Width Tool that you can use to click and add width to things and we'll talk about that later on. We have the ability to work with this great new tool in Illustrator, the Shape Builder, which is awesome. It allows you to combine shapes together to create symbols. We have a Perspective Grid Tool and I'll go ahead and click on it and show you real fast what it does. It gives you the ability to quickly work in perspective. We have a Mesh Tool which allows us to make organic gradients. Very, very cool, so check that out. We have the Gradient Tool which works like this tool but not in such an organic fashion. We have our Eyedropper Tool which allows us to sample colors, so I can sample the color from one thing and put it in another. So, where's white, now it's white in there and it's blue in there. It happens on a selected object. As you can see we have this object selected so when I click on the white area it fills with white, when I click on blue it fills with blue. We also have some other tools in here, such as a Graph Tool, and I'll talk about how to make a graph later on. We have a Magnifying Glass which allows you to zoom on things. I'll double-click on the magnifying glass to zoom back out and I'll double-click on the Hand Tool to go back to a view which shows everything. Likewise, when you want to use the Hand Tool hit the Spacebar. The Spacebar allows you to keep whatever tool you have selected, turn it off temporarily when you hit Spacebar and when you let go of Spacebar your other tool comes back. We have some tools that allow you to work with Web graphics. This is our Slice Tool and our Slice Select Tool. So, when you want to take a solid piece of artwork and cut it up to make it a navigational system, for example, these are the tools that you want to use. We also have our Foreground Swatch, or our Fill Color and our Stroke Color. The Fill is the inside, the Stroke is the outside. We have our ability to change from our Color to our Gradient to getting rid of a color or our fill or whatever we have there. So, once again, this is selected. I'll click here and the color is gone. We have our Draw Modes which are new to Illustrator, so we can draw normally, we can draw behind objects and we can draw inside objects. And, don't worry, I will definitely cover that as well. And we also have the ability to change the Screen Mode. It's like hitting F on your keyboard and it simply change the configuration of your screen. So, that is a quick look at the Tools. And many of them have little arrows next to them, like so. When you click on those they open up to reveal other tools. So, as you could see, there's a lot of tools in here, so of course, we couldn't cover them all in this lesson, but I will definitely talk about a lot of them in this tutorial. For example, in the Type Tool I'll talk about Type on a Path and in the Pen Tool we'll talk about how to use all these tools inside of here and so on.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.