I conclude this tutorial. with a review of ActionScript for controlling and manipulating information to create more complex interactivity, including simple Flash games. Our final project will use combinations of the scripts covered in this section of the tutorial to create a simple interactive Flash game. Let's have a look at some examples of the kind of games you can create by applying the scripts I'll be covering here. Look for a games folder inside the Work Files folder and open up the three files that you see there. Let's go ahead and look first at Space Mission I, this minatogawa final file. Do a Control, Test Movie and you can read through the instructions here. Notice that there's some music playing. Reach your docking station, click start. There's a level setting. Let's start with Easy. Use the left and right arrow keys. This is the most simple game that I'll show you just using two keys and the idea is to - no speed control, just direction - is to reach the space dock there. Medium level, a little bit harder. If you run into any of the objects or if you run into the earth here, I guess if you - yeah, if you run into one of the objects there, game is over. Let's go ahead and close this movie down. Have a look at the next one here, the carver final. A little bit different. This is Lady Bug. The object here is to grab as many hearts as you can while avoiding the spiders. Turning left and right. This has additional controls, up and down, to speed up and slow down. You can also press the P button to pause the game. Let's go ahead and Control, Test Movie this one. This one also has a volume control here with a slider that we've covered earlier, as well as a mute button. If I click on Play notice that there's a Time Elapsed value up there. This one's a little bit hard to get started. There's a bug here for getting the Lady Bug started but it will eventually get started by clicking on the Up arrow and I'm clicking on the Left and the Right arrows to navigate my lady bug and try to hit as many hearts as I can. The hearts disappear when you roll over them, or run over them. I can Speed Up and Slow Down by hitting the Up and Down arrow keys. Notice that each time that I run over a spider the spider doesn't do anything but it will decrease my lives. Here I have two lives. Also, I don't run off the Stage I just move from one end to the other. Let's slow this down a little bit and change direction, slow this down by clicking on the Down arrow and now rotate this, go backwards and once you get all the hearts you will win the game. I believe - if I remember correctly. There's the last heart, yeah. Game Over, press the Spacebar to continue and again, the only problem maybe with this one is that when you do run over the spiders nothing happens but when you run out of lives, Game Over and then it gives you your score. So, quite a nice little game; entertaining game. Probably the best way to inspect the scripts in an unfamiliar file like these is to use the Movie Explorer. Go Window, Movie Explorer in the middle of the menu. This will give you some controls up top for looking at text, movie clips. Click on the one for showing ActionScript and all the actions here are in frame 1 of the main timeline so I have all the variables are being established, start time, finish time, current time, elapsed time. Here are variables for spider hits, heart hits, score, Array variables here. Then I have heartbeat section, verify the current state of what's needed. Here's a section: menu equals 1, playing equals 2, paused equals 3, end level equals 4 for the mode here, so here's the start conditions. There's the function for the EventListener. Here's the playing section. Here's the clear message. Here's a conditional for making the spiders and hearts appear or disappear, I think. Here's a function for Mode 2, the EventListener for that, checking your initials, moving of the bug, showing the time and so on. So everything's kind of divided up here by mode. Here's the next level. Here's the section for showing the menu. Here's a function for adding the addChild method, will add this menu movie clip and the play movie clip to the stage here. Here's the close menu. Here's the restarting time function, pausing the time, showing the time, again, so you can see this is quite involved, but everything is pretty well labeled. Here's the function for hiding stuff, showing stuff, function for unpausing, function for moving using keyboard controls and so on. The spider and the hearts, perhaps reassigning them on the Stage. So, quite involved but very well documented using many of the scripts that we've covered previously. Here's a conditional statement, general functions, there's some collision functions and some timer and some random methods that I'll be covering in this section, but let's go and look at the last example. Jacobsen is a bit more complex. Control, Test Movie and nice intro, more detailed explanations here of things to avoid, how to score points, here there's a timer to count down the play. The idea here is destroy these asteroids before they can reach the earth and using the Up arrows and Forward and Back arrows. More controls available for this one. This one's very hard to win. Notice that if you miss any of the asteroids or if you hit one of the satellites the game will be over. Also there's a nice animation when the asteroid hits the earth. This one will probably keep you entertained for a while. I've never been able to actually win this one. Let me show you one more collision state. If I run into any of these satellites without my shield, ah, I wasn't able to hit that again. But if you hit a satellite there it'll cause the game to be over. Again, what you'll want to do is open up the Movie Explorer to see these scripts. These are located in different locations, separate locations. Here's actions for the Play button, Play Again button, Start button; actions for the Boost movie clip, Asteroid movie clip. Here's variables that we're declaring. If-then conditional statements, here's a function for the ship movie clip. Also EventListeners for the various keyboard Up arrow, Down arrow, Left arrow, Right arrow. If key is down and the key is the left arrow then set the speed to this. If this conditional is met set the speed to that and so on. So there's quite a treasure trove of scripts here to study and learn including the random number generator, the collision detection, scripts for detecting which key has been pressed and then what to do when it detects that keypress. And he's divided up quite nicely based on movie clips. There's the shield movie clip, the jam movie clip, the cloak movie clip - this is a way of adding interest and complexity to the project after you get the bare bones project working, is to kind of add more movie clips and then add some more actions related to that movie clip. Now the Flash Math Class will be an important part of the work in creating our game, so let's now move on to the next movie and start our discussion on how to add increased interactivity by reviewing the various members of the Flash Math Class.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:email@example.com.