In the previous movie, I demonstrated how to apply the various Fireworks Live Filter effects using the Filters menu at the top of the interface, or using the Filter Section down here in the lower right-hand corner of the Properties Inspector, however, you can also apply some Photoshop layer effects using the Add Filters pop-up menu here in the Properties Inspector, and then choosing at the very bottom of the menu, Photoshop Live Effects. That'll bring up the Photoshop Live Effects dialog where you can apply one or more of these Photoshop Live Effects, all at the same time, notice. You probably don't want to apply all of them at the same time, but you can. Or, by unchecking various options, apply combinations, different combinations, of Photoshop Live Effects. You'll notice that many of these have layer settings, because these originally were applied to Photoshop layers. Now if you import a PSD file, you can also edit layer effects that already exist in the file. For example, if you've applied a drop shadow layer effect to your PSD file, and then open that in Fireworks, you'll find that there are settings already here in the Photoshop Live Effects dialog that you can then modify those live effects that you applied earlier in Photoshop. So in this movie, let me review and demonstrate some of the more important Photoshop Live effects and their settings. Starting with the Drop Shadow, you'll notice my drop shadow, that I have more options for controlling the drop shadow than the Drop Shadow Live Filter that's found in Fireworks CS3 itself. I have an opacity setting, a distance setting, an angle, which is found in the Fireworks drop shadow as well, but I also have a size and spread, and a noise quality as well. Notice that here is another one of those layer properties Layer Knocks Out Drop Shadow; here, there's no effect because I don't have any layers in this file, but again if I did, those layers and their placement may adjust the setting when I select the Layer Knocks Out Drop Shadow option. I also have an Inner Shadow, and Outer Glow, an Inner Glow, each of these with their own settings. Again, I recommend that you experiment. It's probably better to turn off the other Live Effects. Notice how much easier these Photoshop Live Effects dialog facilitates turning on and off the various effects. I recommend to start with trying out just one at a time. Also I recommend applying these live effects to both text and graphics. Some of them will work better and demonstrate better when you apply them to text, others will work better and demonstrate better when applied to graphic objects. So now, let me go ahead and select that gray rectangle, add my Photoshop Live Effect to that. Let's move this down here, and choose Inner Glow, and I think that shows a little bit better than when I applied it to the text. Certainly the Bevel and Emboss will work better here with my button. For this one, notice that I have structure and a shading settings. This is quite a bit more sophisticated than the Fireworks Bevel and Emboss options. My styles include: Outer Bevel, Inner Bevel, Emboss, Pillow Emboss, and Stroke Emboss, each with their own settings here, including depth, size, soften, direction up or down. In the shading area, you have your angle. Your highlights include: Screen, Darken, Multiply, Dissolve, Normal; quite a number of them here. So, again, if you're familiar with Photoshop and its layer effects, then these Fireworks tools will be immediately familiar to you. Next we have the Satin setting. Let's go ahead and turn off Bevel and Emboss. Here we have a Structure Setting: Opacity, Distance, Color and Size, as well as an Anti-Alias option. It's probably best to apply this one to my text up here. So let's do that. Let's go ahead and choose the Satin option. Here I have Structure settings, and Color and Size settings, as well as Anti-Alias and Invert. Let's now move down to Color Overlay. Here I can apply a color overlay to my object, in this case it's red, let's change that to an orange color, change my opacity. Next is Gradient Overlay. Notice that I can apply a gradient to my object. Pattern Overlay, including Opacity and Scale settings. Let's go ahead and turn off the other two, and there's my Pattern Overlay. And my last one is the Stroke. That's kind of an interesting effect there, with a color setting; a fill type, including Color, Gradient, or Pattern; Position, outside, inside or center; Size, that's very interesting there; as well as Opacity. I think my size is probably too small. Notice that in addition to the sliders, I can also type in numbers here. Let's just apply a four to the size and then press my Enter button. That closes the dialog and then applies the Photoshop layer effect. Now, in addition to these Photoshop layer effects, Fireworks also lets you use many Photoshop and other third-party filters and plug-ins. You can use plug-ins in either the Live Filters window, or the Filters menu. Let me now move on to the next movie and demonstrate in more detail how to work with Photoshop filters and plug-ins.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.