Let me, in this movie, demonstrate some additional techniques for editing your image masks. You can modify a mask in a variety of ways. You can modify a mask's position, shape, and color. You can change the visibility of masked objects. You can also change a mask's type and the way it's applied. In addition, masks can also be replaced, disabled, or deleted. I demonstrated some of these techniques in the previous movies, but let me concentrate on editing masks here. The results of editing a mask are immediately visible, even if the masked object itself is not visible on the canvas. For example, I can click on this icon of my mask right there, and then notice that the icon has a green border on it. That indicates that I can modify the mask itself. So if I take my Sub-selection tool, for example, you can see the outline of that mask, and I can modify it, and, as I mentioned, the results are immediately visible of the changes that you're making. I can also click on that blue star and move the position of the mask, so different portions of the photograph in this case show through. So the Layers panel here is instrumental in helping you identify what part of the mask you're working on. Clicking on the mask icon there puts a green border around the shape so you can then work on the masked shape. Clicking on the thumbnail of the image, in this case, a picture, indicates that you can modify the picture itself including the location of the image. Notice that you can work on the opacity of the image itself, if you click on the thumbnail of the image, notice that my opacity of just the image itself there, is decreasing, or increasing. So to summarize, to help you select the masks and the masked objects, you'll want to use the Layers panel using the thumbnails here, in this way they can be easily identified what you're working on. Mostly you're going to know when you click on the mask itself and it gets this green border, and then you have the little chain icon, then you can select the Sub-selection tool, and modify the actual vector shape of that mask there. Now you can either move the mask and it's masked object together, or you can move them independently, and you'll use the link-icon right here in the Layers panel. If you click the link icon here in the mask in the Layers panel that'll unlink or link up the two with the link icon there, you'll notice that the two are linked together, the mask and the masked object. Let's Unlink, and notice that this changes now. I'm moving now the masked shape and the image underneath it is not moving. So that's another very visual way that you can work with your mask and separate the mask from the masked object underneath. Now, so far, In this movie, I've demonstrated how to change the shape of a vector mask by moving the mask's object points, but you can also change the shape of a bitmap mask by drawing on it with the bitmap tools. To demonstrate this technique let me move back to a bitmap image here. And let's, from the Main menu, choose Modify, Mask, and apply a Hide All mask to this. Let's go ahead and select that bitmap image first, let's hide everything, and now let's take my Gradient tool, right here. I have a grayscale, linear gradient applied to that, and let's apply the gradient. Notice that I can reveal different parts of my underlying bitmap. Notice that there's my gradient right there, the black will block everything and the white allows everything through, and the gray is partial. But I can modify the actual bitmap there of the gradient to affect what's showing through. I can also take one of the bitmap tools and actually paint on my canvas to modify the actual mask itself. Notice that that thumbnail changes a little bit. Let's go ahead and increase my brush size, change my edge value, and notice that that's changing there, in other words, I'm painting black on there and I'm modifying that mask. In this case it's a bitmap mask. Yet one more way of modifying your masks is to use the modify command here and then using the Reveal selection or Hide selection. Let me go back to my image here, my bitmap image of the mountain, and choose the Magic Wand tool, and I'm going to select a portion of the picture down here, these rocks. I'm holding down the Shift key and selecting more of the image there, and then from the Main menu, choose Modify, Mask, Reveal Selection, and that will reveal the portions of the image underneath that selection. Now I can take my brush tool and with the brush chip set to black, I'll erase all of the portion underneath that selection by modifying my mask, but I can also choose colors that are not black, but maybe a shade of gray. And the lighter the shade of gray, the more of the image is left behind. So that's a pretty light gray, so, notice that I'm removing only a little bit of the color there. If I go with a slightly darker gray, it will remove more of my image. Again, white will remove nothing. Let's go ahead and change that color chip to white, notice that I'm removing - oop, that's the wrong one. Let's change one to white. It needs to be the foreground color chip there. Notice that I'm actually adding color back if I go with white. And then, the other extreme is black, will remove everything on the picture, and then the grays will remove more or less depending on how dark the gray is. The lighter the gray is, the less it will remove. So, that's another interesting way of editing your masks. So there you have a pretty thorough demonstration of how to work with masks, how to work with bitmap masks and modify them, and also how to work and modify vector masks.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE
BY SUBSCRIBING TO THIS SERVICE, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WHICH SHALL PREVAIL IN GOVERNING YOUR RIGHTS OF USE. BY CLICKING THE "BECOME A MEMBER" BUTTON, THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY LICENSING THE PRODUCT ("YOU") IS CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY AND IS BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF LICENSEE DOES NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE BUTTON INDICATING "BECOME A MEMBER" MUST NOT BE SELECTED, AND LICENSEE MUST NOT INSTALL OR USE THE SOFTWARE.
"VTC" refers to Virtual Training Company,
"You" refers to the user or subscriber.
"Software" refers to the VTC training content and software.
2. LICENSE: VTC hereby grants to You a worldwide, non-royalty bearing, non-exclusive license to use the Software according to the provisions contained herein and subject to payment of the applicable subscription fees.
3. RESTRICTIONS: You may not do any of the following:
Save the Software to Your hard disk or other storage
medium; permit others to use the Software except as specified by addendum;
modify, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software; make
derivative works based on the Software; publish or otherwise disseminate
the Software. VTC, Inc., VTC Online University, and the Virtual Training
Company site is owned and operated by VTC, Inc. as a corporation of
All materials on this site are the property of VTC unless otherwise specified. No material from these pages may be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way. Modification of the materials or use of the materials for any other purpose is a violation of U.S. copyright law and other proprietary rights. For purposes of this Agreement, the use of any such material on any other web site or networked computer environment is prohibited.
4. FEES: The rights granted under this Agreement
are effective only upon payment of the subscription fees, which are
strictly non-refundable other than as expressly provided herein. The
term "monthly subscription" is defined as any 30 day period.
The term "yearly subscription" is defined as one 365 day
period. A yearly subscription ends on the same numerical date as it
began (example July 28, 2004 to July 28, 2005).
The VTC Online University is access to every VTC training tutorial in our library. You pay a flat fee for access to these titles. You are billed according to your renewal selection below, and can renew monthly, yearly, or in any other increment offered. If you choose to be billed monthly, you will be billed every 30 days for the subscription until you request the subscription be cancelled. Our terms of service state that you must cancel a monthly subscription at least two business days before your renewal date. These two days give us enough time to ensure that you will not be charged again.
5. LIMITED WARRANTY: VTC warrants that the Software, if operated as directed, will substantially achieve the functionality described. VTC does not warrant, however, that Your use of the Software will be uninterrupted or that the operation of the Software will be error-free or secure. In addition, the security mechanisms implemented by the Software have inherent limitations, and You must determine that the Software sufficiently meets Your requirements. VTC also warrants that the media containing the Software, if provided by VTC, is free from defects in material from the date You acquired the Software. VTC's sole liability for any breach of this warranty shall be, in VTC's sole discretion: (i) to replace Your defective media or Software; or (ii) to advise You how to achieve substantially the same functionality with the Software as described; or (iii) if the above remedies are impracticable, to refund the subscription fee You paid for the Software. Only if You inform VTC of Your problem with the Software during the applicable subscription period will VTC be obligated to honor this warranty. VTC will use reasonable commercial efforts to repair, replace, advise, or refund pursuant to the foregoing warranty within thirty (30) days of being so notified. If any modifications are made to the Software by You during the warranty period; if the medium is subjected to accident, abuse, or improper use; or if You violate the terms of this Agreement, then this warranty shall immediately terminate. This warranty shall not apply if the Software is used on or in conjunction with hardware or software other than the unmodified version of hardware and software with which the Software was designed to be used as described.
THIS IS A LIMITED WARRANTY, AND IT IS THE ONLY WARRANTY MADE BY VTC OR ITS SUPPLIERS. VTC MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTIES' RIGHTS. YOU MAY HAVE OTHER STATUTORY RIGHTS. HOWEVER, TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE DURATION OF STATUTORILY REQUIRED WARRANTIES, IF ANY, SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE ABOVE LIMITED WARRANTY PERIOD. MOREOVER, IN NO EVENT WILL WARRANTIES PROVIDED BY LAW, IF ANY, APPLY UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO APPLY BY STATUTE NOTWITHSTANDING THEIR EXCLUSION BY CONTRACT. NO DEALER, AGENT, OR EMPLOYEE OF VTC IS AUTHORIZED TO MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS, EXTENSIONS, OR ADDITIONS TO THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.
6. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS: VTC reserves all proprietary rights in and to the Software, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and by international treaties. VTC, Inc.
Trademark Notice: VTC, Virtual Training Company,
Inc., The VTC Logo, and VTC Online University, are trademarks of VTC,
Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. Copyright © 1995 - 2005 VTC, Inc. All rights reserved.
7. TERMINATION: This Agreement shall automatically terminate if You fail to comply with the restrictions described herein. Your obligations to pay outstanding subscription fees shall survive any termination of this Agreement.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES
AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL VTC
OR ITS SUPPLIERS OR RESELLERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON
FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF
ANY CHARACTER, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL,
WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER
COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN NO EVENT WILL VTC BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DAMAGES IN EXCESS OF THE AMOUNT VTC RECEIVED FROM YOU FOR A LICENSE
TO THE SOFTWARE, EVEN IF VTC SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO LIABILITY FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY RESULTING FROM VTC'S NEGLIGENCE TO THE EXTENT APPLICABLE LAW PROHIBITS SUCH LIMITATION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS EXCLUSION AND LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Links To Other Materials: Linked sites found at the VTC site are not under the control of VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. VTC may change links based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any link or linking program at any time. VTC does not, by linking to sites, endorse companies or products to which it links and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
Forums, and Chat are not always screened by VTC, and we are not responsible for the content of any public or open forum content at the site. VTC may change these public forums based solely on our discretion, and we reserve the right to terminate any forum at any time. VTC does not, by allowing these forums, endorse companies or products which may be mentioned in these forums, and reserves the right to note as such on its web pages. If you decide to access any of the public forums in this site, or linked to this site, you do this entirely at your own risk.
9. GOVERNING LAW & DISPUTE RESOLUTION: This Agreement is governed by Virginia law. All disputes between You and VTC shall be finally resolved through arbitration in Winchester, Virginia. This site is controlled by VTC from its offices within the United States of America. VTC makes no representation that materials in the site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. You may not use or export the Materials in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. Any claim relating to the Materials shall be governed by the internal substantive laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA.
VTC may revise these Terms at any time by updating this posting. You should visit this page from time to time to review the then-current Terms because they are binding on you. Certain provisions of these Terms may be superseded by expressly designated legal notices or terms located on particular pages at this Site.
If you have any questions regarding this policy,
or your information specifically,
you may email us at:firstname.lastname@example.org.